Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation UI issue

Should navigation be fixed to respect the miles/percentage display setting?

• Fix it - it bugs me

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Fix it - for consistency's sake

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Don't care

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In settings, we can choose whether to view battery remaining in percentage, or miles.

But navigation does not honor that setting. Even when set to miles, navigation still shows battery remaining as a percentage.

What do you think? Should Tesla fix this so navigation honors your chosen setting? Or leave it how it is?

Last edited:
Although I voted to fix (change/?) it for consistency, I recently switched from miles to percentage and resolved much of my range anxiety issues. Many owners on the forum recommended the switch and I'm quite happy I made it. I am quite used to percentage display from my phone and the change was simple.

You don't have a don't fix it option.
I say keep it in percent as it seems too many Tesla owners worry about every single mile of range, when the actual usage varies a lot. Just like an ICE vehicle, you can't expect the number to be exact. At least going from miles to percent reduces the apparent accuracy by an order of magnitude.

As Summer fades and Winter approaches, so many people are going to start realizing that mileage is far from guaranteed and that an accuracy of 10% is well beyond most people's driving habits.

I really hate people to see something like 78 miles remaining and then think that they can drive 77 miles and get to the charger with enough energy. Driving habits and environments can easily change utilization by 30%.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dana1 and KerryOH
Probably not what you want to hear, but I find % much more useful than miles as well. You could just multiply the % by 3 to get the approx miles remaining.

I also use % since it ties it nicely with the navigation system since it shows your % at the arrival of your destination.

Also nice tip to multiple % by 3 to get approx miles! :eek: didn't know that (I also suck at math haha)

I started displaying miles on my car when I first got it. After having the car a little while, it is clear that Tesla prefers you to use percentage. After a while I changed it to percentage because that is a more accurate analog to a gas gauge.

On a ICE car, you most frequently look at how much gas is left in the tank, and use the "miles remaining" data as a really rough gauge on how things are going. Tesla uses the percentage in a similar manner. "Miles left" is a really coarse way to estimate range, as it implies a level of accuracy that is not there. It also does away with the times when you say, "if I only drove 20 miles, why does it say I used up 30 miles of battery?"

i would also like to see both miles and percentage, both in the main left panel and navigation.

i actually do the opposite, i switched from percentage to miles because i have "percent anxiety",lol. I'm so used to aiming for 100% battery thanks to my phone, but given the fact i only drive 2 miles a day for work, I don't really need it to be any more than 40% for extended driving around the city (even the suggested 90% is overkill). of course when i see a battery icon with anything under 90% next to it, i start freak out (can you imagine when it's at 40%?) even though i know that it'll be a long time before it goes down. it also pains me to keep it NOT at 100%.

when i switch it to miles, it gives me a reality check. Where I would have an anxiety attack reading 30%, when i see 94 miles I am totally cool driving the couple miles to/from work, knowing it could always charge right back up at home, or even charge to 90%(277 miles) in an hour at the local supercharger.

To add a bit more - since I have my display in miles, I forget that I only charge to 90%. So I was driving somewhere using the navigation system, and it tells me what % the battery will be when I arrive. And it's saying it will be like 84% or something. In my mind, I'm thinking "it's using 16%?" And I started working through in my head how since it's a new car, I'm probably driving it totally different than how I will in the future, and how this is me accelerating suddenly from a stop, or zipping around traffic, or whatever. So in my mind, I was doubling the energy requirements, and then the math would roughly add up.

Then the next day, I realized that I was starting from 89/90 that day, so everything was off by 10%, then it suddenly made a lot more sense.

In my old car, I can see a gauge indicating how much fuel is left, but I also had a mileage indicator that claimed how many miles I had left. I would use both in planning my trip/stops. I would really like that here as well.