Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Unreliable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For long trips I have always used ABRP

I always like to check my route ahead of time with ABRP

But then with all the bajillions of dollars Tesla had, why don't they just buy ABRP (the brains, not the website) and make them the in-car nav team?

As for the poor wipers, defoggers/defrosters disappearing in the Winter, and the recent "remotely enabling climate sets off the alarm" bug, I believe Tesla's software devs operate in a silo in sunny California with little oversight (or management is also unaware of how important these things are). Just like the lack of a trunk lip, causing much rain and snow to pour into the trunk when you open it.

On the not navigating to a SC right before your destination, yes Tesla navigates to your destination. It does not know if you can charge there.

You're right, and while I *was* aware that the car will happily drop you at your destination with minimal charge left (because it doesn't know if you have charging there), it didn't occur to me that it would also do this with a waypoint in the middle of your trip.

It would make a lot more sense to me if it either *asked* if you plan to charge at each destination, or if it just assumed you don't have charging there. Seems like it could remember the GPS locations of places you've used a level 2 charger at and any that you haven't, just assume it doesn't have charging.

But then with all the bajillions of dollars Tesla had, why don't they just buy ABRP (the brains, not the website) and make them the in-car nav team?

As for the poor wipers, defoggers/defrosters disappearing in the Winter, and the recent "remotely enabling climate sets off the alarm" bug, I believe Tesla's software devs operate in a silo in sunny California with little oversight (or management is also unaware of how important these things are). Just like the lack of a trunk lip, causing much rain and snow to pour into the trunk when you open it.
You're missing the point, be responsible for your route and plan. All of these navigation tools are just driving aids.

You're missing the point, be responsible for your route and plan. All of these navigation tools are just driving aids.

Hey, I hear ya. I was responsible for my route, which is why I didn't hit 0% and stall. That said, no one in an ICE prints a map and determines their gas stations in advanced based on presumed MPG... gas stations are ubiquitous.

Because of this, Tesla has provided in-car navigation that includes charging stops. If the in-car navigation provides guidance that might leave a driver stranded, that's a problem. You can blame the driver all you want, but Tesla is the only one who can improve the software.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Hey, I hear ya. I was responsible for my route, which is why I didn't hit 0% and stall. That said, no one in an ICE prints a map and determines their gas stations in advanced based on presumed MPG... gas stations are ubiquitous.

Because of this, Tesla has provided in-car navigation that includes charging stops. If the in-car navigation provides guidance that might leave a driver stranded, that's a problem. You can blame the driver all you want, but Tesla is the only one who can improve the software.
Absolutely the navigation software can be improved, it can always do better. But, it's alot better than many EV's have.
Yes, your planning is what saved you from an unpleasant experience.

Really? It used to be that used cars were rusty everywhere, but at some point in time (I thought like 2013), cars started rusting a *lot* less... helping used cars keep their value.
Right, that's true.
Did I imagine this whole thing?
No, you didn't imagine it, but you made a faulty assumption about what the change was.

There have been some steps of significant improvements of both the steel chemistries and certain coatings of the steel used in cars that fend off rust for much longer.

I think there is a point you are not getting though, which @father_of_6 reiterated:
Back when things were more rudimentary, we had to pick our charging stops, and we KNEW we had to pick our charging stops, so we picked appropriate ones. It was fully understood we had that responsibility from start to finish.

Then, Tesla implemented a function that says, "I take care of that so you don't need to anymore." So then the car says it's doing it, and people expect it to do it. But then the car does it wrong. That is even worse than if they had never even created that function at all, because it's creating the false expectation that it's being handled.

Reactions: father_of_6
Right, that's true.

No, you didn't imagine it, but you made a faulty assumption about what the change was.

There have been some steps of significant improvements of both the steel chemistries and certain coatings of the steel used in cars that fend off rust for much longer.

I think there is a point you are not getting though, which @father_of_6 reiterated:
Back when things were more rudimentary, we had to pick our charging stops, and we KNEW we had to pick our charging stops, so we picked appropriate ones. It was fully understood we had that responsibility from start to finish.

Then, Tesla implemented a function that says, "I take care of that so you don't need to anymore." So then the car says it's doing it, and people expect it to do it. But then the car does it wrong. That is even worse than if they had never even created that function at all, because it's creating the false expectation that it's being handled.
No I think I made my point about relying too heavily on driver assistance tools.

Oh yeah, I definitely realize it. I work in software, and for almost a decade I've supported a few hundred clients as a *one man show*, launching feature after feature as well as providing general customer support (and sales and coworker support).

I almost *never* push bugs to begin with, but regressions... never. I just can't understand breaking thinks that we're completely functional, and I have a low tolerance for Tesla (who has many resources and a whole team of devs) continuously pushing regressions while ignoring important lacking features (e.g. better manual wipers).

Still keeping the car though. There just aren't any better options for me. By the time I've driven the Model 3 into the ground (hopefully a while), I expect there'll be better options on the market, or perhaps Tesla will have gotten their act together.
oh gosh

On our first long trip, we knew we would stop for the night and need to charge. So I used the nav to call a LaQuinta that showed on the screen it had destination charging. Worked out really well. Was able to charge the car overnight and warm it up in the morning. It's about the planning. Trips will be a lot less fun when the car does everything. My opinion.

I recently also started experiencing an intermittent offset on our GPS location, so sometime the car shows as off the road, and the direction (including the blue line) go nutty and suggest turning around after each side street... so perhaps that played a role in how I interpreted the UI (with mistrust).
Took delivery of our NO FSD Model 3 a year ago and this week-end I've made my first trip needing stops at SC. Only two. One to go and one to get back. However, I'm always using the NAV, even if I know where I'm going, just for fun or any info on traffic, nothing serious to complain.

Not sure if that was a coincidence but the NAV was constantly putting us on a secondary road only when a SC was added to the trip. That was in fact annoying has the car would constantly slow down on the highway and wrongly re-route for each access ramp, voicing ton of new direction actions. Also, instead of having that blue line behind us all the way back to our origin, it would constantly shorten and track our almost actual position. As soon as the SC was cleared, everything got back to normal.