Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nearby Vehicle Icons Jiggle/Shake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Subsequent to the V9 update, the icons for vehicles in adjacent lanes are unstable - even if all vehicles concerned are at a dead stop, the icons reflect jerky movement in both forward/back and left/right dimensions.

This seems to me to be a bug - if none of the vehicles are moving, should not the computations yield the same results each time the positions are updated/recomputed? Some sort of floating point artifact? Drives me nuts.

Are others seeing the
same behavior?

Hi Jenkinsear,

We all see the dancing cars next to us, beside us, behind us, and in front of us...
The car's software is performing an imperfect merge of the images from many different cameras...
As the software, programmers, and AI get better and more powerful there should be a better merging
and stability of the various "assembled" images.

Shawn

I've had a couple of updates since I originally posted this - I believe that the jiggling has regressed. Also, this week I (and all adjacent traffic) was stopped at a light, and the Tesla image showed a truck vehicle behind me (was a pickup). While I watched, the displayed image turned the vehicle 90 degrees! And it did it multiple times. When traffic started moving, the image settled down.

It just seems to me that the software should be smart enough to "know" that it's physically impossible for an adjacent vehicle to rotate 90 deg. in milliseconds, and milliseconds later rotate 90 deg. again.

I like to tell my passengers that they are "dancing" to my music playing. Their reactions are great. :D

I too have noticed this has been much more frequent but assume it will get worked out in the next couple of updates. For now I'm enjoying the "show!"

We saw this with the early AP2 software when the lane lines would dance, even when the vehicle was stopped.

Tesla could fix the display by applying some averaging to the surrounding vehicle display - but that only hides the underlying problem - the AP software is not yet getting stable detection of the surrounding vehicles.

Like with the lane line detection, the Tesla Vision software should continue to improve in upcoming releases, when we'll see this smooth out - both for the display - and for better use of the nearby vehicle detection by the AP software.

Until then - it's entertaining (or distracting)...

• Funny
Reactions: srijey