Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need a mini fridge for the centre console!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the 12v socket in a M3 get its power from the 12v battery or some transform from the high-voltage battery?

I'm just curious to know if using such a thing might lead to some of the lockouts people have been discussing on other threads.

I saw this on a youtube channel. This is the closest model you can get in the UK.
Apparently it only uses 1 kw/h a day and can fit in the space under the Model3 boot

This is a bit cheaper and the model I have. Have left mine running over 24hours in the car. As it's compressor driven the energy use is hardly noticeable tbh

Deal: Alpicool C20 Car Fridge 20 Litre Mini Fridge 12/24v Car Refrigerator Portable Vehicle Camping Fridge Freezer Electric Cooler Box for Truck, RV, Boat, Picnic, Outdoor Travel/ -20℃-20℃ https://amzn.eu/23KGt5Y

Does the 12v socket in a M3 get its power from the 12v battery or some transform from the high-voltage battery?

I'm just curious to know if using such a thing might lead to some of the lockouts people have been discussing on other threads.
It takes its power from the 12v battery. The 12v battery is topped up by the main HV battery pack as required (except when at low SOC). In theory all should be well. If you have severe 12v battery paranoia then you'll inevitably worry!

• Informative
Reactions: init6 and Jeeves
This is a bit cheaper and the model I have. Have left mine running over 24hours in the car. As it's compressor driven the energy use is hardly noticeable tbh

Deal: Alpicool C20 Car Fridge 20 Litre Mini Fridge 12/24v Car Refrigerator Portable Vehicle Camping Fridge Freezer Electric Cooler Box for Truck, RV, Boat, Picnic, Outdoor Travel/ -20℃-20℃ Amazon.co.uk
Worth stating that if running for 24 hrs you need to stop the car sleeping otherwise the 12v supply will drop.

Reactions: init6
I bought this as it actually fits in the Model 3 'lower boot'. I just turned the panel 90 to partially cover the hole and you still have good boot space, (don't enclose the fridge the heat needs to escape). Worked well during the recent heatwave on our first European trip. The car turns off the 12 volts when it goes to sleep but the insulation of the box is good . The 12V cable is just long enough to reach the socket in the centre console.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpicool-R...tric/dp/B08F76NKSG?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Reactions: Mrklaw
I bought this as it actually fits in the Model 3 'lower boot'. I just turned the panel 90 to partially cover the hole and you still have good boot space, (don't enclose the fridge the heat needs to escape). Worked well during the recent heatwave on our first European trip. The car turns off the 12 volts when it goes to sleep but the insulation of the box is good . The 12V cable is just long enough to reach the socket in the centre console.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpicool-R...tric/dp/B08F76NKSG?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Ooh err ... that's "cool" in every respect! Looks the bees knees ... I don't even have a need for one but I still want one!

Reactions: Js1977