Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Advice on Model 3 Scrape Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys,

I’m moving into a new apartment in SF, and the car scrapes the concrete when getting in/out of the driveway. The only part that scrapes is the sides of the railing at the middle of the car. It does not appear that the entire bottom of the car is scraping, so I need about 1/4 inch of extra lift to clear it. The driveway starts flat with the sidewalk, then goes downward in a fairly steep manner. Unfortunately, the driveway is extremely narrow and I cannot go in or out at an angle. I have read that adding a curb bump may give the car enough lift to clear it. Any suggestions?

Used Model S with adjustable suspension and memory for driveway.

Change the suspension for a higher ride.

Change the rims / tires.

Have a skid plate installed, ala 4x4

Get a different apartment.

Park on the street.

Rent a different parking spot nearby and sub rent your spot at the complex.

Sorry but I don’t think any of the options are really what your asking for.

Reactions: Floydsox
Used Model S with adjustable suspension and memory for driveway.

Change the suspension for a higher ride.

Change the rims / tires.

Have a skid plate installed, ala 4x4

Get a different apartment.

Park on the street.

Rent a different parking spot nearby and sub rent your spot at the complex.

Sorry but I don’t think any of the options are really what your asking for.

Figured it would be nearly impossible to fix. Do you think it's worth buying two of these, which could potentially raise the car a bit as it goes over the initial slope?

2-Channel Guardian Cable Protector for 3.25

Figured it would be nearly impossible to fix. Do you think it's worth buying two of these, which could potentially raise the car a bit as it goes over the initial slope?

2-Channel Guardian Cable Protector for 3.25

Sorry yeah forgot. You always keep something in the car and put them on the driveway each (and every) time. Even a heavy duty board or steel plate. But I left off because it’s a real annoying. Rain. Curb water. Touching dirt with you hands.

Cheapest option, almost most annoying.

Don’t think you want the cable thing though. Looks too rigid and with daily back and worth it seems it would crack sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Reactions: silentrider21
I have the same problem. Go SLOW and angle in and out. If I go in or out directly/straight the front lip will grind or the rear will. At an angle and at a very slow speed, it's fine. An adjustable suspension that knew home would be ideal.

I’m having the exact same problem with my steep, ancient San Francisco driveway! The middle and back of my brand new model 3 are scraping when I back out. I’m also dealing with an unhelpful landlord. So, I’m following this thread for any ideas.

I might be able to angle out but it’s tricky because the opening is narrow.

If anyone knows any Bay Area contractors who may be able to help I would love a referral to someone.