Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Advise - Model S Long Range Vs Long Range Plus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Existing owner of Model S 2016 ( Sold it in Jan 2020) , I ordered the Model S Long Range in December and got a call from the store that I can get the Long Range delivery on Monday or wait for 2 weeks to get the Long Range plus. What should I do?

The price is reduced by $2k for Long Range, I am driving ICE and it is driving me crazy. My 2016 Model S was giving 375kms at 90% and the Long range will be 540 kms at 90% so range is way better than before anyways. Waiting is killing and extra range for plus is 22kms.

If you want to ensure your car doesn’t take a larger immediate depreciation hit, take the latest plus. 2k is not enough of a difference to offset the depr on LR now that LR+ just showed up. Maybes 5k variance would be more in-line.

Eventually am updated battery will allow for a new LR range once again...and the 600km will now be 2 levels behind and so on...

Reactions: Simon_Emes
Wait. This is Tesla, remember? LR+ might be the same thing with a new name, or it might be a 200kwh battery that hasn't been announced yet, or anything in between. The only thing you should know as a Tesla owner is you shouldn't get one that's already known to be older tech.

Case in point, MCU2 on model S was touted as the same as MCU1 when it came out, but within 6 months MCU1 was left in the dust by newer update it would never get. Tesla is always pushing high tech new stuff to cars, and is slowly forgetting the old stuff even exists. Be as far ahead of the front of that tech curve as you can be.

Wait. This is Tesla, remember? LR+ might be the same thing with a new name, or it might be a 200kwh battery that hasn't been announced yet, or anything in between. The only thing you should know as a Tesla owner is you shouldn't get one that's already known to be older tech.

Case in point, MCU2 on model S was touted as the same as MCU1 when it came out, but within 6 months MCU1 was left in the dust by newer update it would never get. Tesla is always pushing high tech new stuff to cars, and is slowly forgetting the old stuff even exists. Be as far ahead of the front of that tech curve as you can be.
As much as most people would like to get the latest and greatest piece of tech, purchasing decisions are also tempered by bank account balances, which sometimes force you to get something behind the latest tech curve. :)

Tesla is always pushing high tech new stuff to cars, and is slowly forgetting the old stuff even exists.

Partially true, but many times they do offer $$$ upgrades where it makes sense.

Model S 3G to LTE Upgrade for $$$
Model S/X MCU1 to MCU2/IC2 (starting with AP2.5 owners, and moving to AP2 and eventually everyone else) for $$$
Model S/X Enhanced Security for $$$
Model S/X AP 2.0 and 2.5 to FSD Computer for free if you have pre-purchased FSD Software.
Model 3 AP 2.5 to FSD Computer for free if you have pre-purchased FSD Software
Model X hitch (for a short time until it became standard with he Model X) for $$$
... and there are others as well.

Tesla is follow the CICD approach (Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery/Development/Deployment).