Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Example Supercharger Near Residential Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was confused when I heard that concern in the video. The residential area is across the steeet from a shopping area parking lot. I assume when the lot was built they thought cars would park there. Why would it matter that cars parked there are plugged in vs. just parked there? One panelist kept referring to it being like a gas station-- but unlike a gas station there is no odor, no exhaust, and no noise. Unless you look closely you may not even notice the charging cables.

The Mobile AL supercharger is in a remote part of a shopping center parking lot and I think there was residential across the street, but I'm not sure. It was more than a year ago that I stopped there. One might think this is something the Tesla supercharging team would know immediately-- but after watching that embarrassing performance in the video I'm not one who would think that any more.

Reactions: bollar and boaterva
Apartment buildings are proximate to the Mammoth Lakes, California Supercharger. In fact small children were riding their bicycles in the parking lot while I Supercharged there last week. The parking lot is owned by the town, if I recall correctly.

Others might have a better guess than I, but the apartments are within 75 feet of the stalls.

Reactions: bollar
@ bollar, My question and an answer for it really does not matter, but out of simple curiosity, why are you involved with the permission/permit approval of a Supercharger? I've not seen any time before when a disgruntled member was involved with Tesla's Supercharger contractor's business like this?

And if an example of a Supercharger near a residential area is going to help the process, would not the Tesla Supercharger contractor have that information from their own experience? Would not they know the answer?

@ bollar, My question and an answer for it really does not matter, but out of simple curiosity, why are you involved with the permission/permit approval of a Supercharger? I've not seen any time before when a disgruntled member was involved with Tesla's Supercharger contractor's business like this?
in most places planning/zoning boards meet and discuss development projects, most times those boards allow for input from the public to make comments regarding the proposal being discussed. it appears to me that the OP is looking to garner data so he can make comments and some relevant data to base his comments on. Or there is a possibility that the OP might be part of one of those boards hearing the proposal, either way hopefully he will be an advocate of the planned SpC and will offer thoughtful input.
this is how our representative form of government is supposed to work, just sitting back and ignoring things or silly street demonstrations isn't the way to have a positive effect on things that government decides.

I was confused when I heard that concern in the video.

I don’t think it’s a deal breaker, but I thought the question was reasonable from people without experience with the car. I’d much rather reply with an answer than tell them not to worry about it.

@Akikiki the short answer is it’s a small town, and I was asked, as a resident and Tesla enthusiast, to look into it. The long answer is contained in the video of the hearing in the linked thread.

Does anyone have an example of a Supercharger near a residential area? The Southlake, Texas Supercharger will be across a four-lane street from a neighborhood Planning & Zoning Commission asked if this would be the first?
Zoom in to the Supercharger in Eugene Oregon and turn on satellite view. It is in a hotel parking lot, but that happens to be right next to a residential neighborhood. And I do mean REALLY right next to it. From the last Supercharger stall on the end, it's only about two car lengths to the back yard of the houses. And the Supercharger equipment cabinets are beside that last stall too, so they are even closer--about 15 feet to the house's back yard. That's about as close as I can imagine them getting.

Springfield, Oregon
Seaside, Oregon
Bandon, Oregon
Ukiah, California
Coeur d'Alene is a great example of being right next to a residential neighborhood.

Each of those links to Google maps where you can have a look around to see how close the Superchargers are to residences. Someone earlier referred to Eugene, OR, but I think they meant Springfield.

You can also use Plugshare, tell it to only show Superchargers, and just scroll the map a little bit to find quite a few more. That's what I did to add on to a couple I knew about personally.

Last edited:
Kennewick, WA supercharger is across the street from residential one direction (but fortunately behind a nice, safe, high use gasoline station) and fairly near residential across the parking lot in the other direction. Definitely more traffic to the gas station and Fred Meyer's than the Tesla SC.

in most places planning/zoning boards meet and discuss development projects, most times those boards allow for input from the public to make comments regarding the proposal being discussed. it appears to me that the OP is looking to garner data so he can make comments and some relevant data to base his comments on. Or there is a possibility that the OP might be part of one of those boards hearing the proposal, either way hopefully he will be an advocate of the planned SpC and will offer thoughtful input.
this is how our representative form of government is supposed to work, just sitting back and ignoring things or silly street demonstrations isn't the way to have a positive effect on things that government decides.
Thanks, but I understand most of that process. I am just asking why someone not part of that process is trying to gather data when the folks Tesla contractor has successfully navigated a few of those type sites without that help.

The National Harbor Supercharger (in Oxen Hill Maryland and within the Washington, DC metro area) is in a very large, very upscale mixed use (commercial, retail, residential) development. Just off the top of my head, I'd guess there are circa 1000 residential units within 500 yards of the SC - all condos in elevator buildings 5-10 stories tall.