Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need for winters ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my M3LR with the 19s (all seasons). I've always waited a year on previous vehicles (non electric) to get winters as the treads are so new.

Anyone else go through their first winter without winters ? I'm in TO and my work commute is like 10k's. No long trips planned in winter .

thx

Just picked up my M3LR with the 19s (all seasons). I've always waited a year on previous vehicles (non electric) to get winters as the treads are so new.

Anyone else go through their first winter without winters ? I'm in TO and my work commute is like 10k's. No long trips planned in winter .

thx
I would recommend you get the winter tires, insane difference from seasonal. Even when you go out for a 1/2km grocery, its an accident about to happen. I had survived 2 winters without winter tires in my last car but there were so many close calls, you wouldnt imagine. With your beautiful M3LR, dont take a chance, the wheels will pay off in time.

Why would you risk getting in a fender bender or wrecking your rims on a $67k car?
We just had our first real snow here in Ottawa. I have Michelin Xice tires on and drove the MY in the snow. I absolutely would not drive that can without winters. I drove today and found the traction good but it would not have been a good time on the all-seasons.

thx
I must emulate what everyone else recommended. my M3 is my 3rd EV and I would not advise driving without snow tires. I live in North York and can't tell you how many times I've seen cars and SUV's with their 3 season tires, try and make it north on Don Mills or the climb on the eastbound Lawrence from the DVP. Your insurance provider will appreciate you. YOU will appreciate YOU as you watch everyone around you wiping out.

First off, thanks everyone for your input and allllll make sense and should know better.

That being said, I have 2 options. Has anyone gotten theirs from 3rd party or all Tesla service centres?

My options:

1: purchase the sensors separately and get good alloy rim tires with Michelin Ice from a place that’ll charge 2600 total (1900 + sensors+ tax)

2: Tesla , they’re 18” pkg for 3200 total

I just worry about other place hoisting the battery as opposed to Tesla service as that’s all they do

Place is: Toto Tire near Toronto.

The jack points are really nothing special, just a hockey puck is enough to prevent damage and most tire shops know that. If you travel long distances in the winter, might be worth getting the aerodynamic Tesla rims, just for the better range, but otherwise 3rd party is fine imo.

Reactions: TezlaTO
First off, thanks everyone for your input and allllll make sense and should know better.

That being said, I have 2 options. Has anyone gotten theirs from 3rd party or all Tesla service centres?

My options:

1: purchase the sensors separately and get good alloy rim tires with Michelin Ice from a place that’ll charge 2600 total (1900 + sensors+ tax)

2: Tesla , they’re 18” pkg for 3200 total

I just worry about other place hoisting the battery as opposed to Tesla service as that’s all they do

Place is: Toto Tire near Toronto.
Here’s mine. Had them done at SimplyTire. Exact same rims and Pirelli Sottozero3 tires. Even with the Tesla BT sensors I paid $2,661 all in with HST. $2,232 for the rim/tire package + $429 for the BT sensors. That’s >$550 in savings.

Attachments

• E5530012-6E32-40D8-B300-615E0B8708B8.jpeg
    E5530012-6E32-40D8-B300-615E0B8708B8.jpeg
    367.4 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: marcham and TezlaTO
Your cheapest option is to just buy the tires and have them swapped in the spring/fall. Costco is a good option and they offer a warranty on the tires. I got a deal last winter, around 1K$ Michelin X-Ice. The tire swap only costs about 60 bucks every time.

thx
It has ZERO to do with tread depth. I see so many people that think this way and laugh every time.

Winter tires are a different compound that doesn’t turn into rubber skies when it gets cold. Sooner you get winter tires the sooner you take advantage of them.

Almost, all Tesla “all seasons” are summer leaning. Some more than others. There is a very wide range of “all season”.

I had my all season OEM Tesla tires on my X the other day. The X is way better than the 3 in snow BTW. And there was an inch of snow on top of a gravel road that started to have frost set in for the winter. It was treacherous without my snows on. Big mistake, I thought I could get by another week or two without switching. I have the Performance snows without the deep knobby treads too. Night and day difference.

Winters vary a lot these days. And some winters you might think, why did I bother. Even on dry cold pavement, snows will grip better.

There are some all season or all weather tires that do have a very wide range of grip over wide temps. Tesla does not OEM any of them.

It has ZERO to do with tread depth. I see so many people that think this way and laugh every time.

Winter tires are a different compound that doesn’t turn into rubber skies when it gets cold. Sooner you get winter tires the sooner you take advantage of them.

Almost, all Tesla “all seasons” are summer leaning. Some more than others. There is a very wide range of “all season”.

I had my all season OEM Tesla tires on my X the other day. The X is way better than the 3 in snow BTW. And there was an inch of snow on top of a gravel road that started to have frost set in for the winter. It was treacherous without my snows on. Big mistake, I thought I could get by another week or two without switching. I have the Performance snows without the deep knobby treads too. Night and day difference.

Winters vary a lot these days. And some winters you might think, why did I bother. Even on dry cold pavement, snows will grip better.

There are some all season or all weather tires that do have a very wide range of grip over wide temps. Tesla does not OEM any of them.
LOL

Curious why it’s funny. It’s well known the Model 3 is rear biased which can cause trouble on slick roads. It is one of several reasons I traded my Model 3 (Stealth) for an X. Night and day difference in the snow. It’s been well discussed in many threads. I’ll be curious how the Refresh S/X do. It all has to do with which types of motors are in the front vs the back. S/X is opposite of 3/Y.