Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help with buying decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just like a computer, where I’d recommend get the fastest system (graphics, CPU, etc.) you can afford, go for the longest range (biggest battery) you can afford. You can always choose to add other software options, such as FSD, at a later time.

I find this gets recommended way too much. If you know you will never need the extended range, save the cash. That is like buying a maxed out PC and using Microsoft word only.

Save the money and get the SR+ if the range works, and then wait for the subscription FSD option. FSD is absolutely not worth $8K right now, and it is tethered to the car.

Everyone's situation is different, but if you are even considering the SR+ that means the range is a non-issue. Why max out the budget vs saving hundreds a month?

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
Keep in mind 300 EPA miles isn't real world miles. You'll only get 60-75% of the rated range depending on your right foot. An SR+ EPA range is 250 miles but in reality, you'll only get 150-180 miles of real range. The LR will net you 195-240 miles which is a big difference. Always go for range.

Reactions: C141medic
Its true that everyones situation is different, but just because someone is considering the SR+ does not mean "range is a non issue". People (many many many people) Look at the range and say to themselves 'Oh this car has 250 miles range, thats plenty", not understanding that, no the car does not have "250 miles range" for the average person.

Since the usable range of most EVs for daily use is 90% to about 20 %, that means for practical purposes the rated range is from 225 to 50, or 175 miles of "rated range". Add to that, people in general dont drive like the rated range, so miles dont roll off at a 1:1 clip. 175 miles of rated range is likely around 150 actual miles. That doesnt even count sentry mode, or heating usage, etc.

Now, if you charge every day in your garage, and dont drive more than 100 miles a day, thats fine... but a LOT of people who are considering SR+ are people who are like "dont have charging at home, but I can charge at work" , or "there is a super charger 5 miles from me, and I only drive 25 miles to work and back every day, so since this car has 250 miles range, I can charge up every 9-10 days or so, so that will be fiiiinnnnneeeee".

Then, they buy the car, and realize what I just said above, then come here and start off posting that there is something wrong with their car, they went to tesla but tesla tells them its fine, but "omg why do I only get 160 miles out of my SR+? Its broken, right?"

The reason people tend to "recommend the fastest computer" even if you are only going to run MS word, or a car with more range, is because then you have options. Maybe you only do microsoft word NOW, but you decide you want to start editing photos of your grandkids 2 years from now. Or, maybe you discover you have a knack for streaming youtube videos, and you you start wanting to edit video.

If you bought that $200 chromebook because "I just do word" then you are likely buying another computer. Thats fine too, but thats where the advice comes from. People almost never say things like "Man this TV is too big" or "man my car is too fast" or "My car goes too far on one charge!" but they obviously say the reverse, all. the . time.

As you said, everyones case is different, but the vast majority of people would be served buying a LR car, if they can afford it, even those who "just drive it around town", because, in general, people are looking at the 250 miles range and not understanding that after everything, its really 150 miles range that you are using on a daily basis.

Its true that everyones situation is different, but just because someone is considering the SR+ does not mean "range is a non issue". People (many many many people) Look at the range and say to themselves 'Oh this car has 250 miles range, thats plenty", not understanding that, no the car does not have "250 miles range" for the average person.

Since the usable range of most EVs for daily use is 90% to about 20 %, that means for practical purposes the rated range is from 225 to 50, or 175 miles of "rated range". Add to that, people in general dont drive like the rated range, so miles dont roll off at a 1:1 clip. 175 miles of rated range is likely around 150 actual miles. That doesnt even count sentry mode, or heating usage, etc.

Now, if you charge every day in your garage, and dont drive more than 100 miles a day, thats fine... but a LOT of people who are considering SR+ are people who are like "dont have charging at home, but I can charge at work" , or "there is a super charger 5 miles from me, and I only drive 25 miles to work and back every day, so since this car has 250 miles range, I can charge up every 9-10 days or so, so that will be fiiiinnnnneeeee".

Then, they buy the car, and realize what I just said above, then come here and start off posting that there is something wrong with their car, they went to tesla but tesla tells them its fine, but "omg why do I only get 160 miles out of my SR+? Its broken, right?"

The reason people tend to "recommend the fastest computer" even if you are only going to run MS word, or a car with more range, is because then you have options. Maybe you only do microsoft word NOW, but you decide you want to start editing photos of your grandkids 2 years from now. Or, maybe you discover you have a knack for streaming youtube videos, and you you start wanting to edit video.

If you bought that $200 chromebook because "I just do word" then you are likely buying another computer. Thats fine too, but thats where the advice comes from. People almost never say things like "Man this TV is too big" or "man my car is too fast" or "My car goes too far on one charge!" but they obviously say the reverse, all. the . time.

As you said, everyones case is different, but the vast majority of people would be served buying a LR car, if they can afford it, even those who "just drive it around town", because, in general, people are looking at the 250 miles range and not understanding that after everything, its really 150 miles range that you are using on a daily basis.

I agree with everything you said, but that comes down to research and knowing what you are going to buy. To spend $8K more just because "buy the most range you can afford" is silly. Do your homework. I think there are tons of people in OPs shoes that simply look at the price and compare SR+ w/ FSD or LR AWD. There is so much more that goes into that decision and range should be the #1 factor. If you can get away with the SR+, you need to consider if you will ever need AWD. If the answer is no, is better audio and a faster 0-60 worth $8K?

I think people get fixated on maxing out their budget. Why not save $200/month and just get the SR+. At the end of the year OP can make a decision on FSD because Elon has said subscription is coming this year (take that for what you will).

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
Again, not true. The SR+ will probably hold value better simply because of the new price. That is true with any new car, the more expensive the more you are generally going to lose.

Thats true, options tend to depreciate, however one option that tends to hold value on a car (any car) is "the faster motor". The "cheapest" Model 3 (SR) will likley depreciate the least but will also be the least desirable for resale.

With an EV, longer range vehicles will always be in more demand than shorter range ones. Something that wont likely keep a lot of value (but make the car much easier to sell ) is FSD.

FSD isnt fully functional yet and its resale value isnt established yet. AWD is a feature Tesla cant take away and will always have tangible value in the future. Plus it adds speed and acceleration. Its a much better buy. Plus regular AP works great on the highway. There are so many more variables on the streets FSD wont happen without the need to constantly nanny it for quite some time.

Again, not true. The SR+ will probably hold value better simply because of the new price. That is true with any new car, the more expensive the more you are generally going to lose.

I disagree, and EVs right now are not just "any car" due to the pace of innovation and evolution of the technology.

I think Elon is right, that we're rapidly approaching the expectation that 300 miles is the new floor for EPA range. Less than that isn't going to be viable in the market for much longer.

A used SR+ with a battery that has degraded ~10% is going to be WELL below 200 miles of actual usable range when it's time to sell. Meanwhile the market, consumer expectation, and price pressure from new models and technical innovations are going to push the resale value of most ANY EV quite low for the foreseeable future. But a long-range car that can still get an honest 250 miles of real range after a few years is going to be a much easier sell and IMO will hold its value more than the SR+.

That said, I'd strongly discourage anyone whose primary concern is resale value from buying an EV right now at all.

Sincerely,

Model S 75 owner with a 3.5 year old car worth 37% of its original purchase price

I have a Bolt right now and am getting the M3 in September. I can tell you that in 3 years of leasing my Bolt, I have needed more than 250 miles of range only twice. I mostly drive it for business around Orange County and for umpiring college baseball a little further out - LA, Riverside, San Diego. I would love to have the extra range, but $9K for only 72 more miles of range is pretty pricey, especially when I won't need it 98% of the time. I'm still on the fence for FSD, and $7K is pretty steep as well for something that I may not need, though I am pretty sure I would use it a lot more than the 72 miles the LR will provide.

I find this gets recommended way too much. If you know you will never need the extended range, save the cash. That is like buying a maxed out PC and using Microsoft word only.

Save the money and get the SR+ if the range works, and then wait for the subscription FSD option. FSD is absolutely not worth $8K right now, and it is tethered to the car.

Everyone's situation is different, but if you are even considering the SR+ that means the range is a non-issue. Why max out the budget vs saving hundreds a month?

It's possible that someone thinking their SR+ has sufficient range and for them to be wrong, given any inexperience with EVs generally and the way charging works (slower mph added as battery nears capacity). This also assumes basic charging options at home (trickle charging) and even that isn't feasible for some. In this case, more range is paramount.

With EVs, I think that more range is better, even if one needs less most of the time. There are always those times when people wish they had more range, and I'm guessing this outweighs the cost differences. Lack of range will be missed more than the money saved over the life of the car's ownership.

People won't always realize going in how much range is affected ambient outside temperature, driving style, etc. So, more range is better here. In fast free-flowing conditions, one will use more range than not if one is driving at a reasonable speed with minimal speed disparity.

One might have a commute which is uphill one way, or especially taxing on range for some reason. Roadtrips are possible in a Tesla, and more range is useful here.

To that end, what one thinks is sufficient range may not be. For me, 150 mi. range (as in the 2018 LEAF) was not enough, in part because I like to keep up with traffic flow in the HOV and 'fast' lanes on SoCal freeways. In the city I drive quite reasonably. I also like a little acceleration here and there. So, I went for the Tesla with the max range and performance (Tesla P3D-) or would have gone for the LR AWD had this option not presented itself.

I have a SR+ and don't miss the added range of the LR. It really depends on how you will use the vehicle. Do you take a lot of road trips? My commute is 30 miles each way (OC to LA).

The fact that the SR and LR are the same basic car meant that I saved $10k (2019 prices). I feel that I got a killer deal after federal/state incentives. At the SR+ price point, I got a Tesla for the price of a loaded Accord/Camry.