Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Auto Lane Change an FSD feature only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn’t find Auto Lane Change anywhere so put in a service request and was told it’s an FSD feature exclusively. I swear when I was doing my research it came with the Autopilot package. I could be wrong though, I’m in Australia if that makes a difference?

I did discover I can change lanes by tugging on the steering wheel but it disengages Autopilot. Auto Lane Change would be nice.

Even if you completely discount what Elon has said about extending the time between nags, the system is absolutely designed to provide the ability to not keep hands on the wheel as I said before. They implemented the scroll wheel to satisfy the nag, plus the car allows you to go extended time without torque depending on the scenario.

If Tesla wanted hands on the wheel at all times, it could easily be implemented, but they don't.
If tesla forced hands on wheel at all times they’d wreck their sales. There’s a balance between being a nanny state and being cautious whilst maintaining business viability.

My hope is you’re trolling. Either that or you’re horrendously misinformed as to the abilities of Tesla’s self driving software as it stands. If it’s the latter then you’re likely to add to the the misleading stats of “car crashes while in autopilot” in the long term.

• Funny
Reactions: uscbucsfan
Upvote 0
You should not be torquing the wheel to confirm the lane change. You confirm by the turn signal stalk.

There are two types of auto lane change.

The first kind is when you’re not using navigate on autopilot. You should be able to use the turn signal to manually request a lane change and the car will complete the lane change on its own once it thinks it safe.

The second kind is when you’re on navigate on autopilot. The car will try to move itself into the lane it needs to be in for your desired route and speed and will notify you when it wants to change lanes. You confirm by tapping the turn signal in the direction of the new lane. There’s also a setting to turn off auto lane change confirmation and the car will notify you it will be changing lanes and just do it without you having to confirm it.
So I do have the Navigate on Autopilot feature but I haven’t used it yet. So I do have Auto Lane Change available that way.

But I don’t have Auto Lane Change available by using the turn signal. No option in the settings for it either.

Upvote 0
Perhaps there is no setting for Auto Lane Change? Either way, if I have Autopilot engaged and put on my turn signal it just stays in the same lane without changing lanes. I tested this on an empty freeway at night so it was definitely safe to change lanes.

I also noticed if I tug on the wheel it will change lanes but turn off Autopilot which totally negates the point of changing lanes with Autopilot on I would have thought.

Maybe I need to put in another service request.

Upvote 0
Perhaps there is no setting for Auto Lane Change? Either way, if I have Autopilot engaged and put on my turn signal it just stays in the same lane without changing lanes. I tested this on an empty freeway at night so it was definitely safe to change lanes.

I also noticed if I tug on the wheel it will change lanes but turn off Autopilot which totally negates the point of changing lanes with Autopilot on I would have thought.

When you want to change lanes by signalling it ONLY works if you have EAP or FSD. All I've founf AP does is slows down for traffic ahead and speed up when traffic up ahead speeds up. Maybe some else can expand what AP does. It's be NICE if you could scroll the traffic visualization all the way on the right to see everything with just AP

Upvote 0
Maybe some else can expand what AP does.
Here's Tesla's support page on Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self Driving. It's a nice, compact description of each package.

Upvote 0
So I do have the Navigate on Autopilot feature but I haven’t used it yet. So I do have Auto Lane Change available that way.

But I don’t have Auto Lane Change available by using the turn signal. No option in the settings for it either.
I have FSD. I use NOA which has the lane change feature. In the U.K. it visually suggests a change and the driver can confirm it by pressing the indicator. There is also a requirement to have a slight turning force on the wheel to activate the manoeuvre.

In autopilot leaving the lane disengages the lane assistance element.

I’m not aware of any other lane changing abilities.

Upvote 0
I couldn’t find Auto Lane Change anywhere so put in a service request and was told it’s an FSD feature exclusively. I swear when I was doing my research it came with the Autopilot package. I could be wrong though, I’m in Australia if that makes a difference?

I did discover I can change lanes by tugging on the steering wheel but it disengages Autopilot. Auto Lane Change would be nice.
You are not completely clear in your post and most seem to be assuming. (Basic) Autopilot comes as a standard with the car and is not an add on package. Did you buy the optional Enhanced Autopilot package and pay an extra $5100 (Australian)? If so then you should have the following features added. If you did not buy Enhanced Autopilot package then you dons't have it.

Screenshot 2023-07-02 at 6.48.55 AM.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maybe there is some regulation in AUS that changes how it is allowed to work compared to the US. Most people replying here are in the US. I'd post your question to the Australia subform to see if you can get a more region specific answer. If you don't see the menu options that were posted earlier in this thread then it must be some difference in AUS regulations.

And just to be 100% clear, you did purchase the Enhanced AP package in addition to the standard AP. Package is $5100 AUD?

Upvote 0
Here's Tesla's support page on Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self Driving. It's a nice, compact description of each package.

I went into AP one day (once down on the stalk right?) It altered speed but this:
Autosteer: Assists in steering within a clearly marked lane, and uses traffic-aware cruise control

The car did not stay in lane and told me to take control, so it's basically useless

Upvote 0
once down on the stalk right?
Twice. A single depress turns on Traffic Aware Cruise Control. A double depress turns on Autosteer, which is the bit that follows lanes. FSD and FSD beta are essentially fancier versions of Autosteer.

Take a look at the following Tesla Video Guide starting at the 2:45 mark.

Upvote 0
Twice. A single depress turns on Traffic Aware Cruise Control. A double depress turns on Autosteer, which is the bit that follows lanes. FSD and FSD beta are essentially fancier versions of Autosteer.

Take a look at the following Tesla Video Guide starting at the 2:45 mark.

So do I hve to turn FSD OFF to get the above or not?

Upvote 0
So do I hve to turn FSD OFF to get the above or not?
If you mean that you want to drive without FSDb, then go to the Autopilot section of the in-vehicle controls, where you'll find a choice of "Traffic Aware Cruise Control", "Autosteer (beta)" and "Full Self Driving (beta)". I've never seen that selector before, but I just checked my car and that's the way it's set up right now (I have version 2023.7.20). I assume you can choose the level of functionality that you want to drive on. I didn't fiddle with it in case it causes the car to explode.

Upvote 0
If you mean that you want to drive without FSDb, then go to the Autopilot section of the in-vehicle controls, where you'll find a choice of "Traffic Aware Cruise Control", "Autosteer (beta)" and "Full Self Driving (beta)". I've never seen that selector before, but I just checked my car and that's the way it's set up right now (I have version 2023.7.20). I assume you can choose the level of functionality that you want to drive on. I didn't fiddle with it in case it causes the car to explode.
IMG_2739.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
Upvote 0
I tried TACC and Autosteer. I got varying degrees of situations. I was able to autochange lanes, the car would go out of autosteer if I changed lanes, I got the
stop at red light, yank stalk to proceed at red light, Maybe because I have FSD. At one point the car just slowed down on the expressway. When I signal to exit a minute later the car barelled at over 50mph on a right exit. I think I have need a multi dimensional matrix to figure out all the possible conditios

Upvote 0