Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Auto Lane Change an FSD feature only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn’t find Auto Lane Change anywhere so put in a service request and was told it’s an FSD feature exclusively. I swear when I was doing my research it came with the Autopilot package. I could be wrong though, I’m in Australia if that makes a difference?

I did discover I can change lanes by tugging on the steering wheel but it disengages Autopilot. Auto Lane Change would be nice.

This is the message I got:

Hi Robert, regarding your auto lane change query, this is only available for vehicles equipped with FSD (full self drive). Your vehicle currently has the Enhanced autopilot package, this is not a feature within this package. FSD can be purchased through the upgrade section on the Tesla App. If you don't have any other questions, I will proceed to close your service request. Kind regards, George - Tesla Service

Upvote 0

Enhanced Autopilot​

In addition to the functionality and features of Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot also includes:​
  • Auto Lane Change: Assists in moving to an adjacent lane on the highway when Autosteer is engaged.

IIUC, this feature is the main benefit of Enhanced Autopilot.

Upvote 0
In the United States, Navigate on Autopilot, which is part of EAP and FSD, will do auto lane changes without confirmation if you configure it to do so.

In the Autopilot panel, be sure that Navigate on Autopilot is enabled and set the switch so that it is enabled on every drive. Then, check the auto lane change switches and set them how you like. There should be a setting for auto lane change and one to set whether you require confirmation, or not.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Upvote 0
In the United States, Navigate on Autopilot, which is part of EAP and FSD, will do auto lane changes without confirmation if you configure it to do so.

In the Autopilot panel, be sure that Navigate on Autopilot is enabled and set the switch so that it is enabled on every drive. Then, check the auto lane change switches and set them how you like. There should be a setting for auto lane change and one to set whether you require confirmation, or not.
So you don't have to tourque the wheel to confirm the lane change?

EDIT: I just looked back at an older picture and I had it set to Off but it ALWAYS required a torque of the wheel or it would just sit in the same lane with the signal on.

IMG_1348.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You should not be torquing the wheel to confirm the lane change. You confirm by the turn signal stalk.

There are two types of auto lane change.

The first kind is when you’re not using navigate on autopilot. You should be able to use the turn signal to manually request a lane change and the car will complete the lane change on its own once it thinks it safe.

The second kind is when you’re on navigate on autopilot. The car will try to move itself into the lane it needs to be in for your desired route and speed and will notify you when it wants to change lanes. You confirm by tapping the turn signal in the direction of the new lane. There’s also a setting to turn off auto lane change confirmation and the car will notify you it will be changing lanes and just do it without you having to confirm it.

Upvote 0
So you don't have to tourque the wheel to confirm the lane change?
I found that NOA would throw up a wheel nag before making a lane change if you were not already torquing the wheel. So, in a sense, you could call it a confirmation, but it was really just an attentiveness confirmation. You couldn't ignore it without being thrown in AP jail (and getting an FSDb strike). When you have lane change confirmation required, you could ignore the lane change request by not moving the stalk.

Things may have changed. I haven't used NOA since FSDb V11 came out.

Upvote 0
I found that NOA would throw up a wheel nag before making a lane change if you were not already torquing the wheel.
Mine does the same. I have EAP and when I NOA with confirmations off, it wheel nags before changing lanes. Torque required, volume scroll trick didnt seem to work for the nag. I thought maybe since im brand new, minimal miles with NOA this is why. If its always like this, then it seems that stalk confirmation is likely the better option to use for me.

Upvote 0
I wish people would stop calling it torquing the wheel. The request to ”apply slight turning force to the wheel” is intended to confirm you have your hand/s resting on the wheel. The fact a quick torque placates it doesn’t mean that is what it’s designed for.

If you gently rest a hand on the wheel the torque will be there already and you won’t even notice the nag. Oh and it also has the small benefit of you being immediately prepared to take control in the event of the car requiring human input.

If you don’t have your hands on the wheel then in many scenarios you’re increasing the risk to yourself and other road users so accept the “nags” as a minor inconvenience for your ignorance.

Upvote 0
I wish people would stop calling it torquing the wheel. The request to ”apply slight turning force to the wheel” is intended to confirm you have your hand/s resting on the wheel. The fact a quick torque placates it doesn’t mean that is what it’s designed for.

If you gently rest a hand on the wheel the torque will be there already and you won’t even notice the nag. Oh and it also has the small benefit of you being immediately prepared to take control in the event of the car requiring human input.

If you don’t have your hands on the wheel then in many scenarios you’re increasing the risk to yourself and other road users so accept the “nags” as a minor inconvenience for your ignorance.
The system IS designed that you don't have to keep your hand on the wheel. On the interstate the nags are getting further apart with each update and the car will let you know to put your hand on the wheel in difficult situations. Tesla also made it an option that the scroll wheels count as supervision as well.

By definition torque is what is required to satisfy the nags.

Reactions: henderrj
Upvote 0
The system IS designed that you don't have to keep your hand on the wheel. On the interstate the nags are getting further apart with each update and the car will let you know to put your hand on the wheel in difficult situations. Tesla also made it an option that the scroll wheels count as supervision as well.

By definition torque is what is required to satisfy the nags.
Did you read my post? Satisfying/achieving nag dismissal and achieving the actual safety it intends to promote are two different things.

It prompts slight turning force at random times to confirm you’re still paying attention.

The times you mention are (hopefully less often) safety critical scenarios when it knows it needs input.

Upvote 0
The system IS designed that you don't have to keep your hand on the wheel.
It absolutely is not and it’s irresponsible to say you don’t have to keep your hands on the wheel until Tesla deems it good enough to publicly say it’s a hands free system. Currently they still say it requires hands on the wheel and full attention at all times. Even with FSD beta.

There’s a distinction between a fully hands free system and a hands on system that allows for brief moments of inattention.

The system allows brief lapses in attention to help make up for unavoidable driver distractions, but it’s not meant for you to take your hands off most of the time and only jiggle the wheel or jog the scroll wheel when the nag comes up.

Upvote 0
It absolutely is not and it’s irresponsible to say you don’t have to keep your hands on the wheel until Tesla deems it good enough to publicly say it’s a hands free system. Currently they still say it requires hands on the wheel and full attention at all times. Even with FSD beta.

There’s a distinction between a fully hands free system and a hands on system that allows for brief moments of inattention.

The system allows brief lapses in attention to help make up for unavoidable driver distractions, but it’s not meant for you to take your hands off most of the time and only jiggle the wheel or jog the scroll wheel when the nag comes up.
Even if you completely discount what Elon has said about extending the time between nags, the system is absolutely designed to provide the ability to not keep hands on the wheel as I said before. They implemented the scroll wheel to satisfy the nag, plus the car allows you to go extended time without torque depending on the scenario.

If Tesla wanted hands on the wheel at all times, it could easily be implemented, but they don't.

Upvote 0