TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Need help with squeaky window/door and getting "Tesla grape" scent

Discussion in 'Model S' started by BrainCandy, Mar 14, 2018.

1. BrainCandy

BrainCandy Member

I have a couple of questions that I hope some of you kind folks can help me with.

I'm getting a quick squeaking sound most of the time when I open my driver's door (sometimes it's louder than others). It kind of sounds like the window is rubbing against the rubber seal. Is there some sort of lubricant or other treatment I can apply to the door/window to stop this?

Also, the last time I had my car in for service (Oakville, Ontario), it came back smelling great inside - it kind of reminded me of the grape scent of the Meguiar's tire shine I used to use, and the scent lasted for nearly a week. I asked my service centre what the product was and where I might get it, but they just said it's something they get directly from Tesla. Does anyone know what they use - is it an air freshener spray, leather cleaner or something else? It felt great to give the car a good detailing today, but a nice clean interior scent would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks for your help,

Michael

2. Ande

Ande Member

Like any other car, silicone spray on rubber parts will do.

3. jjh1234

jjh1234 Member

My Tesla SC told me they use all Meguires products.

4. Buster1

Buster1 Member

My Dec MS75D has a squeak when opening the front passenger door. It’s in the hinge area. With a little use it seems to have subsided, as it was much louder when new. Check that area and perhaps try some lubricant (WD-40 is not lubricant).

No clue on the grape smelly stuff!

5. BrainCandy

BrainCandy Member

@Ande Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Something like this?: https://www.amazon.ca/Gumout-29220-Silicone-Lube-320/dp/B06XY3YCBC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521123239&sr=8-1&keywords=silicone+spray Do I just spray it right on the weather seals then wipe up any that gets on the windows?

@jjh1234 That makes sense - it did smell a lot like another Meguiar's product I've used. Maybe it was a leather cleaning product? I'll have to look around at my local autoparts store.

@Buster1 You may be right about that. It does squeak a bit when I just lower the window but it's much louder when I open the door. Maybe it's a combination of both. Can I use that silicone spray mentioned above for the hinge area, or would something like a 3-in-1 oil be better for that (I often use 3-in-1 on household door hinges and it works great).

6. J__T

J__T Member

• Like x 1
  7. Buster1

Buster1 Member

3-in-1 is fine, the silicone spray may be better and last longer, but both as solid options.

• Like x 1