Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Home Charger That Will Work With Both M 3 & Prius H

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lemur

Aug 7, 2018
Indio
We are finally on the "short" list for our M3 and are very excited about this..
Our electrician is scheduled to come out to install a home charger soon.

We now have a Prius Plug in and would like to find a charger that we can use for both the M3 and our Prius Plug In.

We would like to be able to us the same wall charger with out having to use adapters at home.

Thanks to all for your sage advice.

It is not possible to do it without adapters. They have different charging ports. As arcus said, any J1772 will work. If you want the fastest charging charging speed on the Model 3, get one that can deliver 40+ Amps. Model 3 can do up to 48A, but the J1772 stations that can provide more than 40 are uncommon and much more expensive, so it's not necessarily worth it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
We are finally on the "short" list for our M3 and are very excited about this..
Our electrician is scheduled to come out to install a home charger soon.

We now have a Prius Plug in and would like to find a charger that we can use for both the M3 and our Prius Plug In.

We would like to be able to us the same wall charger with out having to use adapters at home.

Thanks to all for your sage advice.
If you're doing overnight charging, then you should just use the charger that came with the Prius and let it charge at 120V, then charge the Tesla at 240v. If you think you'll only buy Tesla's in the future, then the Tesla wall connector is the best option (you can hook up multiple Tesla wall connectors to a single breaker to share the power). If you think you might swap out the Prius Plug-in for a non-Tesla EV someday, then you could get any L2 J1772 charger (such as the Chargepoint Home https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07228K6PX) and use the adapter daily with your Tesla (you would just alternate charging in the future if you got a second car, or pick up a dual charger such as 32A Level 2 EVSE Share2® HCS-40 Bundle| ClipperCreek). I would recommend at least a 30amp charger (40amp breaker).

My recommendation would be a 14-50 plug and use and in general, you can use any J-1772 EVSE to charge either car. You can also use the cable that come with either vehicle.

But I do NOT recommend unplugging and plugging the 14-50 plug daily. It isn't built for the wear and tear.

As MIT_S60 suggest, using a 120v source for the Prius, which doesn't necessarily need to be full, but preferably should be full, and the higher current for the Tesla would generally be a more optimal solution than a single cord switching between the two. This is what I'm doing with my Model 3 and 2018 Leaf. The Leaf is on 120V. But, if needed, I can always plug the Leaf into the 14-50 and charge it quickly. I have 2 of the Tesla UMC cables, one that stays in the while and one that stays in the car. I also have two of the Leaf J-1772 cables, one that's on the wall not plugged in anymore and one in the car. for now, I just keep the Tesla cord plugged in.

This tends to be the most flexible and cheapest way to go. You can also use the J-1772 (with Tesla supplied adapter) to charge the Model 3, but it is at a level even lower than the Tesla UMC, but honestly is probably still plenty. It is just a little more trouble to use the J-1772 adapter, well, because, it doesn't have the button to open the charge port. Yes, basically I paid $350 for a button to open the charge port. (Yes, I would do it again)

My recommendation would be a 14-50 plug and use and in general, you can use any J-1772 EVSE to charge either car. You can also use the cable that come with either vehicle.

But I do NOT recommend unplugging and plugging the 14-50 plug daily. It isn't built for the wear and tear.

As MIT_S60 suggest, using a 120v source for the Prius, which doesn't necessarily need to be full, but preferably should be full, and the higher current for the Tesla would generally be a more optimal solution than a single cord switching between the two. This is what I'm doing with my Model 3 and 2018 Leaf. The Leaf is on 120V. But, if needed, I can always plug the Leaf into the 14-50 and charge it quickly. I have 2 of the Tesla UMC cables, one that stays in the while and one that stays in the car. I also have two of the Leaf J-1772 cables, one that's on the wall not plugged in anymore and one in the car. for now, I just keep the Tesla cord plugged in.

This tends to be the most flexible and cheapest way to go. You can also use the J-1772 (with Tesla supplied adapter) to charge the Model 3, but it is at a level even lower than the Tesla UMC, but honestly is probably still plenty. It is just a little more trouble to use the J-1772 adapter, well, because, it doesn't have the button to open the charge port. Yes, basically I paid $350 for a button to open the charge port. (Yes, I would do it again)
Using a J1772 is not slower than using the UMC if you have more than a 40 amp circuit. The UMC is limited to 32 amps, which is what you can get out of a 40 amp circuit. I have a JucieBox EVSE connected to a NEMA 14-50 outlet and get 40 amps.