Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need hope for salvaged ownership!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NEW TESLA OWNER-NEED HOPE PLEASE!!!

New Tesla owner here! Just bought a salvaged 2019 Model 3 from a used car lot. They got it rebuilt, through a 150 point inspection, etc. it looks, runs and operates beautifully. Like new. It had back end damage, but the airbags never deployed. We learned AFTER purchasing that a salvaged title could blacklist us from updates, supercharging, and servicing. However, someone suggested that when we take the registration into Tesla to get ownership transferred to our Tesla account to just keep our mouth shut, and hope they don’t notice that it’s a salvaged title. Has anyone experienced this, and been successful, and still had access to the app, supercharging, and updates? I’m just feeling frustrated that this wasn’t something I even thought about researching before purchasing the car, and now I have this car that I may not be able to update, or supercharge. Looking for hope/insight from others who may have been through this!

upload_2020-1-2_18-42-42.png
upload_2020-1-2_18-42-42.png

I beleive that Tesla has a process for recertifying salvaged cars.

Best would be to check with Rich Rebuilds, I remember talking about it in oneof his video.

They don't really have that anymore. They will work on a salvage vehicle now, but not under warranty. And if they have to do anything with the HV system you have to pay, and pass, a HV inspection first. (Which costs ~$500.) But the policy on their web site makes it very clear that Supercharging will be permanently disabled.

Unsupported or Salvaged Vehicle Policy

NEW TESLA OWNER-NEED HOPE PLEASE!!!

New Tesla owner here! Just bought a salvaged 2019 Model 3 from a used car lot. They got it rebuilt, through a 150 point inspection, etc. it looks, runs and operates beautifully. Like new. It had back end damage, but the airbags never deployed. We learned AFTER purchasing that a salvaged title could blacklist us from updates, supercharging, and servicing. However, someone suggested that when we take the registration into Tesla to get ownership transferred to our Tesla account to just keep our mouth shut, and hope they don’t notice that it’s a salvaged title. Has anyone experienced this, and been successful, and still had access to the app, supercharging, and updates? I’m just feeling frustrated that this wasn’t something I even thought about researching before purchasing the car, and now I have this car that I may not be able to update, or supercharge. Looking for hope/insight from others who may have been through this!

All they need to transfer ownership is your registration which general does not denote title specifics and yes keep your month shut if you have already verified that the vehicle can supercharge.

There is a fight brewing over Tesla thinking they still have "rights" to vehicles after it has been purchased. Soon or later Tesla will be forced to make the Supercharging Network public to vehicles capable of charge at those rates. Think ISO 15118...

Reactions: M0rpH3x
However, someone suggested that when we take the registration into Tesla to get ownership transferred to our Tesla account to just keep our mouth shut, and hope they don’t notice that it’s a salvaged title.

You got the right idea here. Even better, see if you can find the previous owner and do the transfer wo/ showing the title to Tesla. Should be a few clicks.

I've see videos and/or posts about this, and the certification process for getting those updates is not only expensive but also you can still be blocked from supercharging.

Reactions: M0rpH3x
Like getting something you want - pretty much anywhere - it's about what you DON'T say. So bring your car in and act the part that it's a perfectly normal car. If you can Supercharge? Supercharge and keep your mouth shut (I would literally not tell anyone). Ride the thing out as far as you can and keep as quiet as you can.

If you find resistance and the "truth" coming out either in the form of resistance from Tesla for service or Supercharging stops working, then you can panic. The longer things "work" from now on forward the stronger your case and more sympathy you will receive if/when the day comes when the shoe drops.