Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to claim ownership of a Tesla without having the original owner transferring ownership and I don’t have a key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, so I was looking at purchasing a Salvage title Tesla Model X and I was wondering if I could get access to the car somehow if I can’t get hold of the original owner and if it doesn’t include a keycard. Is it possible or should I just avoid the ones that don’t include keys?

If you purchased your vehicle through a third party, you will need to claim ownership of the vehicle. To claim ownership of a vehicle, make sure you have access to Wi-Fi and the vehicle, then follow these steps:

1. Open the Tesla app.
  2. Tap the profile icon in the top-right corner.
  3. Tap ‘Add/Remove Products.’
  4. Under ‘Add,’ tap ‘Vehicle.’
  5. Follow the prompts.
You will be asked to enter your vehicle identification number (VIN), upload documents, and submit owner information to claim ownership. Once you’ve finished your request, it can take three to five days for the vehicle to be added to your app.

Note: To access this feature in the Tesla app, make sure you have the latest version of the Tesla app.

Hi guys, so I was looking at purchasing a Salvage title Tesla Model X and I was wondering if I could get access to the car somehow if I can’t get hold of the original owner and if it doesn’t include a keycard. Is it possible or should I just avoid the ones that don’t include keys?
What year is it? Only 2022 and newer, support key cards. Legacy models support only the original key fob

I will only get one that’s 2022 and newer :) I prefer the refresh interiors.
Key cards are programmed by the owner, after you have the car attached to your Tesla.com account. First the phone app works, then you program the key cards and fobs (if any) from there. The hangup will be getting a salvaged title car accepted by Tesla, and attach it to your account. The default is NO. Do you know why the car was salvaged? Generally a salvaged Tesla is in pretty bad shape, especially a newer one.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ethan Ryczek
Key cards are programmed by the owner, after you have the car attached to your Tesla.com account. First the phone app works, then you program the key cards and fobs (if any) from there. The hangup will be getting a salvaged title car accepted by Tesla, and attach it to your account. The default is NO. Do you know why the car was salvaged? Generally a salvaged Tesla is in pretty bad shape, especially a newer one.
I would want to rebuild one that got salvaged by collision.