Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need New Orleans help (charging)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sublimaze1

8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins
Sep 6, 2012
Basin City, TX
I am driving back from Florida to Texas this Saturday and would like to charge overnight. I had some prospects but they have had some drawbacks that I cannot ignore

(1) the BioInstitute would be perfect, but they are only weekly 9-5 (or thereabouts)
(2) the chargepoint at New Orleans Whole Foods is getting bad reviews - not online
(3) one of the plugshare contacts is fake and another one has not gotten back to an email.

anyway, I could go on.

Any suggestions? I am staying on the far northeast end of the French Quarter and simply want to get enough juice to make it ... well ... Alexandria would be nice. Something with J2 or above would be ideal.

Thanks in advance.

WJ

I am driving back from Florida to Texas this Saturday and would like to charge overnight. I had some prospects but they have had some drawbacks that I cannot ignore

(1) the BioInstitute would be perfect, but they are only weekly 9-5 (or thereabouts)
(2) the chargepoint at New Orleans Whole Foods is getting bad reviews - not online
(3) one of the plugshare contacts is fake and another one has not gotten back to an email.

anyway, I could go on.

Any suggestions? I am staying on the far northeast end of the French Quarter and simply want to get enough juice to make it ... well ... Alexandria would be nice. Something with J2 or above would be ideal.

Thanks in advance.

WJ
Are you aware of the Super Charger in Slidell that is located here Google Maps
Fremaux Town Center
1303 Town Center Pkwy
Slidell, LA 70458​

Charging
8 Superchargers, available 24/7​
Restrooms
Which Wich Superior Sandwiches
Starbucks​
Wifi
Which Which Superior Sandwiches
Starbucks​
Shopping
Fremaux Town Center
Bath & Body Works
Best Buy
Dick's Sporting Goods
Kohl's
LOFT​
Restaurants
Which Wich Superior Sandwiches
Starbucks
Red Robin Gourmet Burgers
Longhorn Steakhouse
Felipe's Mexican Taqueria​

Last edited:
You really only *need* enough to get to Baton Rouge, right? :)

The Rouse's grocery store (701 Baronne Street, New Orleans, LA 70113) has a CHAdeMO charger and a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter you can borrow. I haven't been to it in a long time but the last time I asked about it I was told it was working. See Plugshare here for details.

You could get enough to make Baton Rouge in about 30 mins. charging here.

If this doesn't work for you, let me know and I'll ping the local Tesla guys for other ideas.

Mike

EDIT: Or, you could likely charge enough in Slidell on your way in to make it thru New Orleans, overnight, and then on to Baton Rouge without needing add'l charge in New Orleans?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I regularly make it from baton rouge to mobile with my s90d, assuming that the weather is favorable and you drive at a constant speed not exceeding 75 mph it is an easy hop to make.
why would you even consider using an L2 that will only put 18-20 miles per hour into the car when there are SpC options on the route?

@markn455 and @NOLA_Mike ...

Thank you both for the info.

Yes, we hit Slidell on the way east and true: I really only need enough to get to Baton Rouge. The dependents got a little restless with the supercharger stops at the end of the trip here, so I expect a repeat performance heading back west. Ideally, if I scan slide into the crescent having just charged once at Mobile, and then depart the next morning with a "full tank", it will go a long way in the peacekeeping department.

I do have thick skin and can manage my losses if I have to adjust.

Again, just planning ahead.

WJ

Okay, now I understand. How about, if you can't find an overnight spot, you get up early the next morning while everyone else slumbers (a waste of time, I know) and you go to the CHAdeMO and get her all topped off while no one else even knows you are gone.

BOOM! Problem solved... :)

Mike

Okay, now I understand. How about, if you can't find an overnight spot, you get up early the next morning while everyone else slumbers (a waste of time, I know) and you go to the CHAdeMO and get her all topped off while no one else even knows you are gone.

BOOM! Problem solved... :)

Mike

Okay, so this has leaped near the top of my options. Not sure when they open on Sunday, but I have emailed Jeremy (apparently the contact for this type of stuff) to assure that the adapter is still available and hours and whatnot. I can even bring back breakfast!

Looks like (from one of the pictures) that I am likely to get about 70 miles per hour charge.

Okay, so this has leaped near the top of my options. Not sure when they open on Sunday, but I have emailed Jeremy (apparently the contact for this type of stuff) to assure that the adapter is still available and hours and whatnot. I can even bring back breakfast!

Looks like (from one of the pictures) that I am likely to get about 70 miles per hour charge.

My recollection is that it puts out 120A at whatever voltage your battery state of charge is at. (120A @ 365V would be 43.8 kW) which should be over 100 mi/hr charging rate.

I found this shot I took last time I charged there (107A @ 363V):

Screenshot 2016-07-27 08.18.59.png

Reactions: benjiejr
Jeremy replied and they still have the Tesla/Chademo adapter available. So I may either charge there overnight (if they will allow) or I will get there early and charge up in the morning while getting breakfast. That, now, is plan (1) and (1)b

Update: So, apparently, it will only allow for a 20 minute charge interval. Unsure of how long I would have to wait in between charges, I may not be able to charge full unless there is some means of immediately restarting the unit ... we shall see

image.png
Update: So, apparently, it will only allow for a 20 minute charge interval. Unsure of how long I would have to wait in between charges, I may not be able to charge full unless there is some means of immediately restarting the unit ... we shall see
The PlugShare score has been 10.0 lately for the Rouses CHAdeMO.
Jeremy is your best contact there!
They open at 6AM
As far as I can tell, you can restart right away after the 20 minutes.

That's my adapter there for loan. Haven't tried it yet. Interested in hearing how it goes.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: sublimaze1
Okay, so I have a few options

(1) Take the hit and charge in Slidell - with the eventual outcome of getting blasted all the way home for having to do this
(2) Park the care at Rouses and use Rick's adapter and charge twice in the evening before (I will shoppe) and once in the morning when I get the car and pick up ... coffee etc. (remember, they have a 20 minute timer)
(3) The hotel says they have "a plug" which means 110 which means 3mi/hr which means a paltry 30-40 over the evening ... which is doable, but less than ideal
(4) try to contact some locals with NEMA 14-50 and beg

I would order these as:

(2)
(4)
(1)
(3).

I cannot wait until electrons are as ubiquitous as unleaded, premium and diesel ....

Okay, so I have a few options

(1) Take the hit and charge in Slidell - with the eventual outcome of getting blasted all the way home for having to do this
(2) Park the care at Rouses and use Rick's adapter and charge twice in the evening before (I will shoppe) and once in the morning when I get the car and pick up ... coffee etc. (remember, they have a 20 minute timer)
(3) The hotel says they have "a plug" which means 110 which means 3mi/hr which means a paltry 30-40 over the evening ... which is doable, but less than ideal
(4) try to contact some locals with NEMA 14-50 and beg

I would order these as:

(2)
(4)
(1)
(3).

I cannot wait until electrons are as ubiquitous as unleaded, premium and diesel ....
you're really over thinking this.