Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some advice on winter in Tahoe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone! My girlfriend and I planned a trip up to Tahoe next week but were not feeling 100% sure about whether our Model Y LR will be up to the task given all the logistical challenges winter presents.

We rented a cabin on Airbnb but their garage isn’t available for use. Which means that the car will not only be exposed to the elements, but also not have a wall to plug in to. The nearest supercharger is ~10mi away, and I’m really worried about phantom drain/battery required for defrosting.

Good news is the cabin is next to the main service road that probably gets plowed, so I’m not overly worried about traction (we have the OEM Goodyear F1s on).

This is my first full-on snowy winter road trip with the Tesla — thanks in advance for the guidance!

With good all season tires, like the F1, and dual motor AWD, you should be fine with traction. Use "off road assist" (Controls/Pedals and Steering) is added traction is needed on snow and ice. Consider getting a set of Auto Socks (a legal alternative to tire chains in most states) to carry with you, just in case. Some states require that you carry "tire chains" when traveling in the mountains in winter.

Depending on how long you stay, if you charge up at the Supercharger on your way to the bnb, you should be fine OK. Have fun!

If the driveway isn't plowed and over 6 or so inches you can high center the car and be stuck. That's the biggest issue of AWD vehicles without clearance. I've managed to get my TRD 4runner stuck like that a few times. It was worse in the Subaru a decade ago. I'm sure the Tesla will be worse than the Subaru when it gets deep due to clearance.

Right now, many Tahoe residents are snowed in. Roads are closed and chains required. More snow is expected this week, so it might take a while until the mountain roads can be reopened to vehicles.

If you have a 120V extension cord that will reach your rental house, and a Supercharger 10 miles away, you should not have issues with battery capacity.

CO:
During winter storms, or when conditions require, CDOT will implement the Passenger Vehicle Traction Law. CDOT can implement the Passenger Vehicle Traction and Chain Laws on any state highway. During a Traction Law, all motorists are required to have EITHER:

1. 4WD or AWD vehicle and 3/16” tread depth
  2. Tires with a mud and snow designation (M+S icon) and 3/16” tread depth
  3. Winter tires (mountain-snowflake icon) and 3/16” tread depth
  4. Tires with an all-weather rating by the manufacturer and 3/16” tread depth
  5. Chains or an approved alternative traction device
CA:
During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are Three Levels of Chain Requirements in California:

• Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
  • Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
    NOTE: (Four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
  • Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
R-1 and R-2 are the most common conditions. A highway will often be closed before an R-3 condition is imposed. Some local areas may use variations of these designations. You must follow the directions on the signs posted for chain controls or any instructions given by Caltrans or CHP personnel at chain control check points, even if these are at variance with broadcast road condition reports or information contained herein.

1 Snow-tread Tires: The California Vehicle Code, Section 558 defines a snow-tread tire as follows, "A 'Snow-tread tire' is a tire which has a relatively deep and aggressive tread pattern compared with conventional passenger tread pattern". Snow-tread tires can be identified by examining the sidewall of the tire where the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewall.

On a side note, I saw 3 cars blocking all 3 lanes up Vail pass this weekend. All were front wheel drive (cars and SUV) and non could get started up the hill. Kinda sad for a 2-lane highway on I-70. AWD vehicles had no issues getting around them. :) With that said, I run Blizzak's on the Highlander/4runner and Sottozero's on the Tesla.

We rented a cabin on Airbnb but their garage isn’t available for use. Which means that the car will not only be exposed to the elements...
I would recommend to cover the windshield (with coardboard or sunshade cover) to avoid to have ice or snow on it.
Also the cameras have a small heater, so this might help to save a little bit of power.

71+yxz4xDjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 71Io2NM8SnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If you stay more than just a weekend, I would recommend getting
some extra electrical cord to keep the battery charged at night.

Currently, it does not look good here at Lake Tahoe area. I-80, hwy 88 and hwy 50 closed. You plan to go here probably by hwy 395 but it's also closed due to snow. More snow should be coming also next week. You dont want to drive an electric vehicle with limited range at these conditions. You need good winter tires.

Reactions: mrmtb
Wow, thank you all for the advice; I really appreciate it!
Right now, many Tahoe residents are snowed in. Roads are closed and chains required. More snow is expected this week, so it might take a while until the mountain roads can be reopened to vehicles.

If you have a 120V extension cord that will reach your rental house, and a Supercharger 10 miles away, you should not have issues with battery capacity.
yup, we do have an extension cord from our pandemic adventures to random Airbnb cabins… We’ll take that with us!
With good all season tires, like the F1, and dual motor AWD, you should be fine with traction. Use "off road assist" (Controls/Pedals and Steering) is added traction is needed on snow and ice. Consider getting a set of Auto Socks (a legal alternative to tire chains in most states) to carry with you, just in case. Some states require that you carry "tire chains" when traveling in the mountains in winter.

Depending on how long you stay, if you charge up at the Supercharger on your way to the bnb, you should be fine OK. Have fun!
The auto socks look really cool, I never knew they existed until today 😯
CO:
During winter storms, or when conditions require, CDOT will implement the Passenger Vehicle Traction Law. CDOT can implement the Passenger Vehicle Traction and Chain Laws on any state highway. During a Traction Law, all motorists are required to have EITHER:

1. 4WD or AWD vehicle and 3/16” tread depth
  2. Tires with a mud and snow designation (M+S icon) and 3/16” tread depth
  3. Winter tires (mountain-snowflake icon) and 3/16” tread depth
  4. Tires with an all-weather rating by the manufacturer and 3/16” tread depth
  5. Chains or an approved alternative traction device
CA:
During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are Three Levels of Chain Requirements in California:

• Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
  • Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
    NOTE: (Four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
  • Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
R-1 and R-2 are the most common conditions. A highway will often be closed before an R-3 condition is imposed. Some local areas may use variations of these designations. You must follow the directions on the signs posted for chain controls or any instructions given by Caltrans or CHP personnel at chain control check points, even if these are at variance with broadcast road condition reports or information contained herein.

1 Snow-tread Tires: The California Vehicle Code, Section 558 defines a snow-tread tire as follows, "A 'Snow-tread tire' is a tire which has a relatively deep and aggressive tread pattern compared with conventional passenger tread pattern". Snow-tread tires can be identified by examining the sidewall of the tire where the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewall.

On a side note, I saw 3 cars blocking all 3 lanes up Vail pass this weekend. All were front wheel drive (cars and SUV) and non could get started up the hill. Kinda sad for a 2-lane highway on I-70. AWD vehicles had no issues getting around them. :) With that said, I run Blizzak's on the Highlander/4runner and Sottozero's on the Tesla.
Thanks for this write-up on state traction requirements. Definitely filing that away for reference 😅

I would recommend to cover the windshield (with coardboard or sunshade cover) to avoid to have ice or snow on it.
Also the cameras have a small heater, so this might help to save a little bit of power.

View attachment 749281 View attachment 749282

If you stay more than just a weekend, I would recommend getting
some extra electrical cord to keep the battery charged at night.
Thanks, we’ll get that windshield cover to be safe!

Currently, it does not look good here at Lake Tahoe area. I-80, hwy 88 and hwy 50 closed. You plan to go here probably by hwy 395 but it's also closed due to snow. More snow should be coming also next week. You dont want to drive an electric vehicle with limited range at these conditions. You need good winter tires.
Oh no :/ this Is really helpful, especially given that you live there. We’re mostly sticking to South Lake Tahoe/echo lake area. Is it really bad there too? Thanks!

Advice if you’re going to a place that snows for winter.

My personal experience, I took my model 3 to Utah during, what felt like a blizzard…first time driving for hours in snowfall.

Create a SNOW driving profile in your car.
Turn off auto folding mirrors.
Turn regen braking to low
Use caution and slow down if unsure

On my Utah trip. I did lose traction on all 4 wheels once during the trip. It happened on the highway, icy area. I did not make any sudden adjustments or correction to the steering wheel. The car slid for maybe 1-2 seconds. It feels like a floating sensation and your car is drifting in a direction you did not steer towards. I just waited for car to regain transaction then corrected the steering. A bit a scary but hope you have a safe trip.

Advice if you’re going to a place that snows for winter.

My personal experience, I took my model 3 to Utah during, what felt like a blizzard…first time driving for hours in snowfall.

Create a SNOW driving profile in your car.
Turn off auto folding mirrors.
Turn regen braking to low
Use caution and slow down if unsure

On my Utah trip. I did lose traction on all 4 wheels once during the trip. It happened on the highway, icy area. I did not make any sudden adjustments or correction to the steering wheel. The car slid for maybe 1-2 seconds. It feels like a floating sensation and your car is drifting in a direction you did not steer towards. I just waited for car to regain transaction then corrected the steering. A bit a scary but hope you have a safe trip.
Good idea but unfortunately, the later cars don't have the option to alter regen levels. Mine (2/14/21 build) doesn't. I would maybe add 'chill' mode to this profile.

Reactions: omarsultan
It was pretty bad up there this past week, but by next week, you should be fine.

We've taken our AWD Model 3 up there and have never had an issue. Whether you go North Lake Tahoe or South, there are several SCs nearby. Stop on the way, fill up and you shouldn't have any issues.

The only question is what @Vaildriver mentioned. If the driveway isn't plowed, you might have issues getting in. Check with the owner on what you should expect.

And have fun; it should be great up there next week!!!

Reactions: oppsydanger
Update: we took Hwy 41 up to Yosemite for our first stop in R2 chain control conditions.

Thanks to @RedTesY ’s recommendation, we were able to snag the 3rd/4th last pair of Auto Socks at our local place (for a frustrating markup), and installed it in 5 minutes while everyone struggled with chains 😌

Starting to think I may get a set of these every winter, since I only drive in snowy conditions 3-5 times at most within the year.
5A3D118E-82C2-43FC-B0CE-3E0C9EE7C3A5.jpeg

Reactions: DanDi58