Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some help- looking for the correct adaptor to fit my charger into this plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so I am renting a house- I have a TES 3- and they have this wallplate which I believe was for a jacuzzi-- the plate says Al-CU 75 on it and I have see it on Ebay and a marine store. I am trying to figure out what Adaptor I can get from Tesla that would go into this type of wallplate.. I would hate to have to pay to put in a 220 or anything like that... Really Appreciate your help!!

Attachments

• image1.png
    image1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • image2.png
    image2.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5022.jpg
    IMG_5022.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 35
It looks a NEMA 6-50 Here is where you can get the Tesla adapter. You should verify what size the circuit breaker is. You charger can draw 32 AMPS, so you would need at least a 40 AMP breaker, but hopefully, there already is a 50 AMP breaker.

so I am renting a house- I have a TES 3- and they have this wallplate which I believe was for a jacuzzi-- the plate says Al-CU 75 on it and I have see it on Ebay and a marine store. I am trying to figure out what Adaptor I can get from Tesla that would go into this type of wallplate.. I would hate to have to pay to put in a 220 or anything like that... Really Appreciate your help!!

That appears to be a nema 6-50 receptacle. Tesla sells an adapter for that (Gen 2 NEMA Adapters), although they appear to be out of stock at the moment.

It's not the Al-Cu 75C that's the important marking here, but rather the 50A 250V marking.

Looks like what you have there is a NEMA 6-50 receptacle.

NEMA_plug_chart_some_rotated_480x480.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
It looks a NEMA 6-50 Here is where you can get the Tesla adapter. You should verify what size the circuit breaker is. You charger can draw 32 AMPS, so you would need at least a 40 AMP breaker, but hopefully, there already is a 50 AMP breaker.
So question- it says it’s out of stock and i wanted to speak to a Live human being to get more info- i have sent them an request through the app but no response - how should i handle. Also how would i know the size of the circuit breaker?? Pretty much a novice - the plate says 50 amp and 250 volt but have no idea is this relevant

Thanks so much - so question it Syd out of stock and i wrote them through the app to get more info and no response - is there a phone nunmber i. Can call or is there a secondary market or place i can get this

If you can find the plug at Home Depot you can wire your own adapter with some #6 wire (6-3 with ground) and a standard 14-50 outlet. This requires minimal skill with wire cutters and a screwdriver. I've made my own adapters for all the standard 220 or 250 volt outlets for when I go visiting relatives.

Or you can wait for Tesla's.

Thanks so much - so question it Syd out of stock and i wrote them through the app to get more info and no response - is there a phone nunmber i. Can call or is there a secondary market or place i can get this
Adapters go out of stock (and come back into stock) often. If you need it right away, you can pick up one on ebay but they'll cost you nearly twice as much as ordering from Tesla. NEMA 6-50 Adapter for Tesla Model S/3/X/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters also has them for $59.

• Helpful
It depends on what kind of adapters you DO have and how urgently you need it. If you have a 14-50 adapter for your portable connector (which I would highly recommend getting if you don't, as that is a very common plug), then you can get a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter like this: Amazon.com: Morec NEMA 6-50P to 14-50R 240V 50 Amp Welder Welding Dryer EV Charger Power Cord Adapter Adaptor Connector Connecter: Home Audio & Theater It's a bit pricey at $40, but you may be able to find other adapters/better deals. If you also need an extension cord anyway, it looks like there are some options that have longer cords, killing two birds with one stone.

Or, if you can wait a bit, as @roblab just posted, you could wait for Tesla's to come back in stock.

You could try calling your local Tesla Service Centers and ask if they have it in stock. Probably not as 6-50 is kinda rare but it can't hurt. At the same time, contact EVSEadapters.com and ask if they have this in stock (it says 313 but you never know) and can immediately ship:

It's more expensive than the OEM Gen 2 NEMA adapter from Tesla but if you need it right away, that's the tax you pay.

In order to check what size breaker it is attached to, you'll need to trace the wiring back to your electrical service panel where the breakers are. If you know it was for a jacuzzi, then maybe it's labeled as such on the panel. If you can't do this yourself, ask an electrician to come by and see if you can get him/her to do it for free. The 6-50 outlet should always be around 250V and 50A. That's pretty much a standard.

• Helpful
An appropriate adapter is also available from at least one third-party vendor. (IIRC, these are not made by Tesla, but they are compatible; but I may be thinking of another vendor's products.) The downside is that this one costs $59, vs. $35 for the Tesla-branded product. You'll have to decide if getting it quicker is worth the extra 68%.

Adapters go out of stock (and come back into stock) often. If you need it right away, you can pick up one on ebay but they'll cost you nearly twice as much as ordering from Tesla. NEMA 6-50 Adapter for Tesla Model S/3/X/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters also has them for $59.
So I am very much a neophyte at all of this- completely so :)-- so the plate seems to have 4 prongs- the 2 upstairs, one in the middle and one below- this item only has 3-- is that ok?? this is from EVSE Adaptors below and pciture of the wallplate. also is there a phone number to call at tesla to find out when it comes in. Again thanks to all of you-- here is the wall plate and here is the adaptor- seems to look different..

1626208911986.png

Attachments

• IMG_5022.jpg
    IMG_5022.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 22
So I am very much a neophyte at all of this- completely so :)-- so the plate seems to have 4 prongs- the 2 upstairs, one in the middle and one below- this item only has 3-- is that ok?? this is from EVSE Adaptors below and pciture of the wallplate. also is there a phone number to call at tesla to find out when it comes in. Again thanks to all of you-- here is the wall plate and here is the adaptor- seems to look different..

View attachment 684205
a

also--- how many miles do you think it will charge per hour etc.. how long does it take to charge is my question---how would I figure this out?

View attachment 684205
I'm not sure what the middle hole is for. I checked another site and their 6-50 also shows what appears to be a middle hole but it isn't used for charging. It almost looks like a screw hole. an extra hole like that in his receptacle.
1626209390280.png

I use a 6-50 adapter when visiting my brother in Kansas.
a

also--- how many miles do you think it will charge per hour etc.. how long does it take to charge is my question---how would I figure this out?
Tesla's 6-50 adapters and the gen 2 mobile connectors are limited to 32 amps. At 32 amps and 240 volts, you would get about 30 mph when charging.

You can calculate this by taking 32 amps * 240 volts / 250 Wh/mile = 30.72 mph

Tesla also does the math for you on the web page for the adapter (but these numbers are dated, depending on car model):
1626209737386.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the middle hole is for. I checked another site and their 6-50 also shows what appears to be a middle hole but it isn't used for charging. It almost looks like a screw hole. an extra hole like that in his receptacle.
I just checked a NEMA 6-50 outlet I have, and it's got a similar "middle" hole, which is definitely a screw hole on mine.

I just checked a NEMA 6-50 outlet I have, and it's got a similar "middle" hole, which is definitely a screw hole on mine.
you guys are amazing- quick question- someone above wrote: it depends on what kind of adapters you DO have and how urgently you need it. If you have a 14-50 adapter for your portable connector (which I would highly recommend getting if you don't, as that is a very common plug), then you can get a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter like this: Amazon.com: Morec NEMA 6-50P to 14-50R 240V 50 Amp Welder Welding Dryer EV Charger Power Cord Adapter Adaptor Connector Connecter: Home Audio & Theater It's a bit pricey at $40, but you may be able to find other adapters/better deals. If you also need an extension cord anyway, it looks like there are some options that have longer cords, killing two birds with one stone.

if I get this one -- below the NEMA 6-50 as discussed above- why would I need this Morec adaptor- is it one or the other?

if I get this one -- below the NEMA 6-50 as discussed above- why would I need this Morec adaptor- is it one or the other?
It's just plan A versus plan B.
Plan A is just get the 6-50. That's what fits your outlet.
Plan B was if you can't get the 6-50 or don't want to wait that long, you could get a different one from Tesla (14-50) and then a pigtail adapter piece to fit it to the 6-50. It's very straightforward to adapt from one 50 amp outlet type to another.

But really stuff in Tesla's website store goes in and out of stock every other day. I think people are unnecessarily making this confusing. Just wait for the 6-50. It'll be available in another day or two.