Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some help with Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did a search, but didn't see any solutions - would appreciate some input.

I just had the EMMC chip in my 2015 Model S replaced under warranty. Of course when they do this, the car is wiped of several settings, including Homelink settings. Homelink has worked fine for me for several years. I went to reprogram, and noticed that you need a remote. Guess what - I couldn't find a remote! So I ordered a pair on Amazon.

I received the remotes, and they paired very easily with my "yellow button" Chamberlain opener. Now it should be easy, right?

Wrong! I've started the procedure in the car several times, and have gotten to the point where they tell you to take the remote, hold it 3" away from (and slightly to the left of) the Tesla logo on the hood, and push and hold the remote button.

No dice. Lights wont flash indicating it read the frequency. Inside the car the MCU is still looking for the remote code. I've tried this 20 times, closer to the car, further away from the car, etc. It will not see the code.

Any words of wisdom here?

If the remote opens the door, then it should functionally be the same and you should be able to use it for Homelink learning. I have aftermarket remotes for my motorcycle keychains and they were a little challenging to get to work with Homelink, but eventually they worked.

I would try varying where you point the remote at the car. Maybe rotate it on one axis or another. It sounds like witchcraft, but maybe there is something about the pattern the remote emits when sending a signal, and the car cannot read it. This is of no consequence when you're several feet away from the garage door opener receiver. You might also see if another Tesla can learn from your remote, or if you can ask to learn someone else's garage door. You could also try buying a different brand of remote if all else fails.

Try using D Mode:

Programming Homelink®
To program HomeLink" (if equipped):
1. Park Model S so that the front bumper is
in front of the garage door, gate, or light
you want to program.
Caution: Your device might open or
close during programming. Before
programming, make sure that the
device is clear of any people or
objects.
2. Get the device's remote control and
ensure it has a healthy battery. Tesla
recommends replacing the battery in the
device's remote control before
Programming Homelink.
3. Touch the Homelink icon at the top of the
touchscreen.
4. Touch Create Homelink, then select which
mode you wish to use: Standard, D-Mode,
or UR-Mode.
5. Use the touchscreen to enter a name for
your device and touch Enter or Create
Homelink.
6. Touch Start then follow the onscreen
instructions.
Note: If you see a screen called "Train the
receiver" while programming the device,
remember that this is a time-sensitive
step. After pressing the Learn/Program/
Smart button on the device's remote, you
only have approximately 30 seconds to
return to your vehicle, press Continue, and
then press the trained Homelink device
name twice. Consider having an assistant
help with this step.
7. Once your device is programmed, touch
Save to complete the Homelink
programming routine.
8. Ensure Homelink works as expected. In
some cases the programming process
may require multiple attempts before
succeeding.

OK - Interesting update.

I mentioned in my original post that I was trying to program with a 3rd party remote I bought through Amazon. It was easy to train the new remote and it works flawlessly to open and close the garage door. However, it was unsuccessful in programming my Model S.

I did another search for the original Chamberlain remote that came with my opener, and got lucky and found it.

Tried programming the Homelink in the car with the original remote, and it worked perfectly the very first time I tried. So if you are struggling with programming, and using a 3rd party remote, I'd recommend buying one of the original manufacturer remotes, training the new remote, and then trying the car homelink training with that remote.