Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to Know How To Approach Paint Repairs

AaronP85

Feb 2, 2021
Motor City
I have a 2013 so I suspect Tesla may not have new bumpers laying around (pre refresh). My wife drove into my lawn mower and took a chunk out, looks like some plastic peeled back. I reached out to Tesla Service for an estimate on fixing it but I never received a response. What's the right way to have somebody fix this? Do I need a body shop to do it?

635986923.jpg

AaronP85

Feb 2, 2021
Motor City
Well I just thought I would provide an estimate now since I got Tesla Service to look at it. They said the would have a difficult time matching color exactly for multiple reasons like aging and sun fading, and they'd recommend replacing the entire front bumper rather than repainting the old one.

Ready for the shocker?! Estimated at $1700. New front bumper with paint and new valence.

Next I'll take it to a local shop and see what they'll say about it.

2101Guy

Jan 6, 2020
USA
Sounds about right on their estimate for bumper replacement.

However, a GOOD body shop can do a plastic weld process, smooth, sand, spot blend. Will be barely noticeable after completed.
Process to fix the hole/Crack is seen here. After this is done, they sand/spray it to blend.

My guess is cost is 1/2 of what Tesla is charging

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger

AaronP85

Feb 2, 2021
Motor City
Tesla Service just called back and said their own estimate is too high. Interestingly enough, they said they are going to reevaluate the price of the repair and get back to me.

AaronP85

Feb 2, 2021
Motor City
thanks for the video - that was pretty cool. Actually the scuff on my car isn't deep at all, might get away with the flexible filler he used at the end.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC