Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Negotiate for repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back on topic, this is the final summary for a front bumper replacement on a model 3 in California:

Shop 1 estimate ~$2k
Shop 2 estimate ~$2k
Old Tesla estimate ~$1.4k
New tesla estimate: ~$1.1k
Actual charge at Tesla: $1.2k (including tax, I don't recall if the above estimates had tax included)

Work done was good. It appears that it pays to shop around and it pays to try the Tesla service option.

I've never had a claim and am not a youth driver, so I'd be surprised if I were estimated to be high risk by the insurance companies. This is getting a bit off topic, but indeed, average insurance cost for full coverage is higher than my quote, namely the average is $1555 according to this article, and obviously the average car less expensive than a Tesla:

Average Cost of Car Insurance 2020 | Bankrate.

I pay way less, but I also don't have coverage for my own car, only liability (which could be a ruinous event, so I need that one). Coverage for your own car seems to be way more expensive than other kinds of coverage, presumably because that coverage is more likely to have claims. If your rate is really $100 just per year for full coverage on an expensive vehicle, then you're getting a very good rate and the boffins at the insurance company have essentially calculated that they don't believe that you'll ever have a claim, most likely. Congratulations. :)

If I had rates like yours - over $100/mo for comprehensive coverage, I'd reconsider as you did. But at these rates, it's silly to me not to. Just your small repair alone would be almost 10 years' worth of payments. Speaking of - very glad that your repairs were done well, at a reasonable price. Great outcome - something we need to hear more of!

And yes, wholeheartedly agreed on liability coverage; we also carry a $2m umbrella policy over everything. It's less than $125/year for protection against the most ruinous of events.

Here is my 6-month bill:

insurance.jpg