Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neighbors jealous of the Model S :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish someone WOULD say that crap to me.

I would respond with:

tumblr_lyc51tCVGv1r03eaxo1_400.gif

It's amazing what some people will say to your face that most people wouldn't say behind your back.

This situation reminds me of one that happened here in Burlington, Vermont a few years ago. The New England Chapter of the Ferrari Club of America used to have a Ferrari display on our downtown pedestrian mall every July. The event was a fundraiser for a local youth center for disadvantaged kids. Before the event, kids from the youth center would be bussed to the Vermont Teddy Bear Company, eight miles south of the city, and they'd get to ride in the Ferrari passenger seats back into Burlington and in a special parade up the pedestrian mall.

After we had just finished arranging the twenty Ferraris on the mall, one of the local Ferrari owners was approached by a woman on the street. Without holding back, she launched into an anti-Ferrari diatribe, saying, "What a stupid idea. These children will never be able to afford one of these cars. You're just giving them false hopes." The owner then informed her that he was one of those kids, that after being abandoned by his parents he had been raised in five different foster homes, and that not only did his Ferrari dream come true... he owned two of them.

True story.

Last edited:
It's amazing what some people will say to your face that most people wouldn't say behind your back.

This situation reminds me of one that happened here in Burlington, Vermont a few years ago. The New England Chapter of the Ferrari Club of America used to have a Ferrari display on our downtown pedestrian mall every July. The event was a fundraiser for a local youth center for disadvantaged kids. Before the event, kids from the youth center would be bussed to the Vermont Teddy Bear Company, eight miles south of the city, and they'd get to ride in the Ferrari passenger seats back into Burlington and in a special parade up the pedestrian mall.

After we had just finished arranging the twenty Ferraris on the mall, one of the local Ferrari owners was approached by a woman on the street. Without holding back, she launched into an anti-Ferrari diatribe, saying, "What a stupid idea. These children will never be able to afford one of these cars. You're just giving them false hopes." The owner then informed her that he was one of those kids, that after being abandoned by his parents he had been raised in five different foster homes, and that not only did his Ferrari dream come true... he owned two of them.

True story.

That's a great story. Way to teach that person a lesson with a little truth.

I agree with Bonnie. These folks have issues that have nothing to do with you, your wife, or your car. Trust me. My advice is to feel compassion, and treat them with compassion. It isn't easy but it will only help you and your wife and be the correct example for your kids.

True story.

Excellent Story!

My experience with these types is they try desperately to portray a certain income bracket while drowning in debt. I'd bet money the wife is the one who demands the image and, as yobigd said, likely the one that drives the Merc. I'd bet she felt she was amongst the neighborhood elite before seeing your car and once your S rolled in she felt knocked several rungs lower and it enraged her. There is no cure for jealousy except kindness, and that will be a tough pill to choke on. I'm expecting this reaction from more than a couple neighbors. One with serious money issues that got pissed at us for getting a new Suburban, one that has to have the best in the neighborhood and let everyone know it, and one that's just psycho like this lady. It's coming and I don't really give a sh!t. I've driven a rusted 1992 station wagon for over 10 years while they all stuck their nose up at me thinking I was below them. I'm not broke, I'm just not obsessed with image. At least I'll wave at them with a smile in the S!

So, we live in a nice planned community (with a lot of professionals, high-tech workers and such) on a street that ends in a cul-de-sac. There are these neighbors at the end of the street where it intersects with the cross street so, we essentially turn the corner and drive by their house as we come onto our street. They are a young family too with two boys, one 8 and the other 4.

If the problems escalate, just wait untill the kids are in the street and call whatever the equivalent of CSD (child services division) is in Ca.

My partner had a good recommendation. The next time you see the guy and kids in the street, and you have time, talk to him and offer to take them for a spin. You can explain more about the car like how heavy the low-slung batteries are and how they contribute to the long range. Don't bring up the altercation between the wives at all. Just make friends with the guy.

I think it is incredible hard being insulted, being called out and not wanting to punch back. To stay calm. Not to want return verbal injury with the same. Time will help to overcome the desire to return bad for bad.

I think it's wise to wait, calm down, talk with your wife, and discuss possible steps out of this. Be prepared and wait for that opportunity to talk. Do you ever walk by their place? Can't be accused of speeding or excessive weight, then :wink:

My partner had a good recommendation. The next time you see the guy and kids in the street, and you have time, talk to him and offer to take them for a spin.
Would not do that. I did and the guy says "is that carbon fiber" and ran his gritty glove across my dash leaving ugly scratch on the CF. No way to fix, the detailing shop wouldn't even attempt it.

Last edited:
My partner had a good recommendation. The next time you see the guy and kids in the street, and you have time, talk to him and offer to take them for a spin. You can explain more about the car like how heavy the low-slung batteries are and how they contribute to the long range. Don't bring up the altercation between the wives at all. Just make friends with the guy.

the fear is if something like turns into them saying you took him on a bragging joy ride. If someone wants to be mean, the will always find a way...

A while ago there was a long thread titled something along the lines of "what will the neighbors think". I find it interesting that this thread has so many responses in a short time. Traditionally it is thought that people buy a high priced vehicle to impress the neighbors--a look at me I am wonderful attitude. It seems that most of us (at least the ones that respond) are sensitive to not being a "look at me Tesla owner." I intentionally carry my very battered brief case and brown bag lunch into the office very day.

Really not worth wasting your time worrying about idiots like that. Who cares what they think of you? They obviously don't care what you think of them!

Don't give them the time of day. Water off a duck's back. All that.