Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema 14-30 is fine, right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Nema 14-30 outlet is fine with the portable charger, right? I just buy an adapter for $25?

I just had a Tesla approved installer tell me it won't work. I also read a thread somewhere saying Tesla stopped selling the adapters.

I'm leaning this direction because my garage sub-panel will support a 14-30, but not a 14-50. 14-50 requires running a new line from the main panel 120 feet away and over double the price. I don't see the point since my car will charge overnight either way.

Pretty sure the adapters are $45 though. You'll get 7, 8.5 or 11 miles of range per hour, depending on whether you're charging an X, S or 3.

CORRECTION: 14, 17 or 22 miles per hour. 240V, not 120. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes it's fine. It was a few years ago that Tesla stopped selling the 14-30 adapters, then it started again. They're available for both Gen 1 and Gen 2 UMCs. Just make sure you order the right one.
Thanks!

You'll get 7, 8.5 or 11 miles of range per hour, depending on whether you're charging an X, S or 3..
The table on this page says I will get 22 for the model 3

Home Charging Installation

A Nema 14-30 outlet is fine with the portable charger, right? I just buy an adapter for $25?

I just had a Tesla approved installer tell me it won't work. I also read a thread somewhere saying Tesla stopped selling the adapters.

I'm leaning this direction because my garage sub-panel will support a 14-30, but not a 14-50. 14-50 requires running a new line from the main panel 120 feet away and over double the price. I don't see the point since my car will charge overnight either way.

Yes, it'll work. Yes, just need to buy the Tesla Gen 2 adapter. The "installer" doesn't know what hes talking about.

14-30 works fine for me. I get 22 to 23 miles of range per hour.
If you do a little digging, you'll see some folks with more than average electrical experise suggest that the typical 14-30 receptacle is not designed for a great many plug and unplug cycles. The solution is to replace the 14-30 receptacle if it doesn't produce a snug fit, and leave the mobile connector plugged in to the 14-30 even when it's not in use. Which of course means it's not very mobile anymore.

Reactions: eprosenx
The solution is to replace the 14-30 receptacle if it doesn't produce a snug fit, and leave the mobile connector plugged in to the 14-30 even when it's not in use. Which of course means it's not very mobile anymore.
Mobile is a capability, not a requirement. There is no reason to unplug and take the UMC with you in this 310 mile range car unless you’re going on an out of town trip and might plug into an outlet overnight. For most people that would be a rare event, considering the extent of the supercharging network now and the hotel destination charging stations.

I use a nema 14-30 outlet for my Telsa Model S with the adapter on my mobile charger. 22 miles each way commute, plus additional driving for sports or errands. That is plenty since I can charge overnight and get back to full without issues.

My wife on the other hand is a real estate agent. She needs the HPWC for her Tesla since she can use the whole battery in a day showing homes. So figure out your driving habits, calculate down time, how many "miles per charge hour" you need, and hours you have to charge each day, and then see what you need. For me, I did the 30 amp outlet because I had an extra one 10 feet away already, so it cost me practically nothing.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
As others have said it depends on how many miles you typically drive a day and how long your car is parked overnight. 14-30 will give you 22miles/hr. Even if you only sleep/charge 6 hours overnight...that’s still 132miles.
For me that’s plenty, as my work is only 45miles round trip. Add in any additional trips I might have to take or added range lost in the rain,winter or snow....still leaves me a good buffer on a daily basis. And for the rare events...I have a supercharger 3.8 miles from my home. I was limited by my main panel, as I only had a 30amp breaker avail which was connected to an additional stove downstairs that we don’t use. If I wanted to go higher I’d have to upgrade my panel, which would raise costs significantly than just running wire to the other side of the garage from my main panel. If things change in the future I’ll upgrade the panel and intsall a HPWC. Don’t forget the mobile connector is limited to 32amps...even if connected to 14-50, you’ll only get 30mile/hr charge.

BTW...I ordered the 14-30 adaptor from tesla and it was shipped the next day.

So I used a 30amp 240 outlet last winter near Green Bay with my model S, temperature variation and daily driving variation meant scheduled charging was inconsistent as to if it would be done when I left in the morning. In the Model S the battery/cabin heaters together can suck down more than the supplied 24amps and actually consume a few miles while plugged in warming up. I know the Model 3 battery warming is handled differently I don't know how it compares.

I got by I am sure you will be fine too but understand cold weather drastically increases energy use and the battery needs to warm before heating which takes meaningful time. I put a HCWC in recently but my main panel is in the garage so it was easy.