Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 above drywall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can't run sheathed wire (romex) in a conduit. You need individual wires THHN to meet code. The plastic sheath acts as thermal insulation when it is inside conduit and the wire can't dissipate heat as fast so it can't operate at normal amp load. If you do stuff without a permit at least buy it from an electric supply shop, not a big box where the sales clerks really usually don't know code or what questions to ask. They will sell anything you pick up like aluminum wire and not ask if you have no-corrode paste for the connection or are the connectors rated AL/CU? (don't use aluminum) 50 amps is not like putting in a 15 amp outlet.

Three problems when doing stuff without a permit 1. House burns down and insurer finds out work was not inspected and approved, now you have a mortgage on a pile of ash. 2. When you sell most states have a form that you state whether all work was permitted and inspected. If you say no, banks won't lend. If you say yes you are liable for any problem caused by your wiring years later. 3' Owner's home inspector spots it and then you have to hire an electrician to fix it.

Bottom line, if you are doing it yourself, get a book, explain to a guy at an electrical supply house what you want to do and pull a permit and get it inspected. I had stuff I did 20 years ago recently permitted and inspected before I sold my house because I did not want the ongoing liability.

Can you point me to the NEC section stating that you can't run sheathed wire in conduit? I don't think you're correct on this.

We were in a funny position when we set up the garage. We own a leaf and a smart ED. Leaf charges on the front, smart on the passengers side. There is a good chance we will be buying a Tesla. If that happens everything is on the other side. We chose to put a standard NEMA 14-50 at the front of the garage and then we used a 25 foot RV 50 amp extension cord to bring it to the right side of the garage close to the Smart ED's charge port. However we didn't want it to look ugly. Our electrician told us that extension cords can't go into closed conduit but there was another kind of open conduit that was to code. I put it in and it looks great. If we get the tesla we will simply change the conduit and cord to the other side and do a little spackling and painting. Here is a picture. Ignore the backup 120 volt EVSE (came with the smart). The Juicebox is hooked up to the ext cord and you can see (barely) the conduit on the left and bottom.

Cheers.

John

33326655264_dfba5201c3_c.jpg

Reactions: 03DSG
We were in a funny position when we set up the garage. We own a leaf and a smart ED. Leaf charges on the front, smart on the passengers side. There is a good chance we will be buying a Tesla. If that happens everything is on the other side. We chose to put a standard NEMA 14-50 at the front of the garage and then we used a 25 foot RV 50 amp extension cord to bring it to the right side of the garage close to the Smart ED's charge port. However we didn't want it to look ugly. Our electrician told us that extension cords can't go into closed conduit but there was another kind of open conduit that was to code. I put it in and it looks great. If we get the tesla we will simply change the conduit and cord to the other side and do a little spackling and painting. Here is a picture. Ignore the backup 120 volt EVSE (came with the smart). The Juicebox is hooked up to the ext cord and you can see (barely) the conduit on the left and bottom.

Cheers.

John

33326655264_dfba5201c3_c.jpg

Nice! That conduit is legal for the extension cord as it’s open on the sides for cooling. Looking at your setup my only concern might be at the point where the yellow wire exits the top of the charger. I would probably secure it to the wood showing above it with a cable clamp to avoid the constant stress where it enters the charger. But then again I’m OCD and worry to much :)

I cant use the PVC conduit here in Ca. its only for underground use to code, as I was trying not to have to use regular metal conduit due to the difficulty of bending and what not.

i know for 12 ga exterior lights they make metal conduit in already 90 degree bends - I just used those and avoided using a conduit bender for an outdoor lighting project. They prob make pre-formed 90 degree EMT bends for running 6ga thhn i'm guessing - just join pieces together with their special watertight connectors etc.

• Informative
Reactions: bnsfengineer
I cant use the PVC conduit here in Ca. its only for underground use to code, as I was trying not to have to use regular metal conduit due to the difficulty of bending and what not.

Almost done. I ran this, adding a NEMA 50amp from my inside Sub, added the Tesla Wall unit on a 100amp home run with #3 THHN inside rubber over metal flex, to the main outside panel and 4 -110v receptacles on a 15amp breaker on the inside Sub panel. Bought the Gen 2 Tesla Wall unit from a eBay seller, $301 free shipping! The Wall unit was shipped right from Tesla! See the Wire Amp chart attached next post.
B9C91D96-76B7-4E46-A012-F996ACFFC84E.jpeg

Almost done. I ran this, adding a NEMA 50amp from my inside Sub, added the Tesla Wall unit on a 100amp home run with #3 THHN inside rubber over metal flex, to the main outside panel and 4 -110v receptacles on a 15amp breaker on the inside Sub panel. Bought the Gen 2 Tesla Wall unit from a eBay seller, $301 free shipping! The Wall unit was shipped right from Tesla! See the Wire Amp chart attached next post.
View attachment 280745
Jesus!! I don't think you can put anymore on that wall without it collapsing!!;) Hey you got the same shelves from Costco as I have!! Also got charger off Ebay shipped from them!! You got a better deal though!!:D How much per foot on the THHN?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: 03DSG
1CD5F5B5-DBC0-4FE1-8AF2-B6E509CB1A36.jpeg
Jesus!! I don't think you can put anymore on that wall without it collapsing!!;) Hey you got the same shelves from Costco as I have!! Also got charger off Ebay shipped from them!! You got a better deal though!!:D How much per foot on the THHN?

It’s just about a dollar per foot. Walters wholesale electric is great. See the screen shot. They will cut all of the wire to whatever length you need including cutting the flex conduit for you. They have outlets all over city of Anaheim, the city of Brea Los Angeles and the IE. Their employees are super friendly and very helpful. Mostly professional electrician’s shop there. #3 THHN Is difficult to work with but if I ever add a second charger in series with the first one I can use the existing run I don’t have to change anything. And if I ever get an S or an X with the dual charger and performance package and battery I could utilize the The higher amp output that I installed. I just didn’t want to pay $1500 for install and adding the NEMA 50amp and Tesla Wall unit and the 110’s so I just took my time over a few weekends.

View attachment 280886

It’s just about a dollar per foot. Walters wholesale electric is great. See the screen shot. They will cut all of the wire to whatever length you need including cutting the flex conduit for you. They have outlets all over city of Anaheim, the city of Brea Los Angeles and the IE. Their employees are super friendly and very helpful. Mostly professional electrician’s shop there. #3 THHN Is difficult to work with but if I ever add a second charger in series with the first one I can use the existing run I don’t have to change anything. And if I ever get an S or an X with the dual charger and performance package and battery I could utilize the The higher amp output that I installed. I just didn’t want to pay $1500 for install and adding the NEMA 50amp and Tesla Wall unit and the 110’s so I just took my time over a few weekends.
Hey Thanks A lot for the tip! Thats really inexpensive ... I assume it would pass code surface mounted in our area? Just looking at site so I would need 3 wires or $3 ft. then how much is the flexible conduit?

Last edited:
Hey Thanks A lot for the tip! Thats really inexpensive ... I assume it would pass code surface mounted in our area? Just looking at site so I would need 3 wires or $3 ft. then how much is the flexible conduit?

I want to say with the rubber coated flex conduit and all the fittings for the conduit it pretty much doubles the cost of the wire. I want to say for the 25 foot run that I purchased it was about $150 for the conduit the fittings and the three wires. I ended up with about 2 feet extra on each side but it was worth it because #3 wire is so difficult to Pull and maneuver it’s very thick. Surprisingly, the and fittings are very expensive.

The biggest thing you need to know is, do you have room on your electrical panel for a two pole breaker? My install was easier than some and more complicated than others. It was easy because I had both the main panel outside and a sub panel inside. I had to move two of my smaller 20 amp breaker‘s from the outside and transfer them to the inside sub panel to make room for the two pole 100 amp double breaker to run straight to the Tesla wall unit. If you see in the photo of my utility wall I had to cut a hole in the wall to pull the wires out of the main panel. After I disconnected them from the breakers and pulled the breakers out had to insert them into the sub panel through the rear of the sub panel behind the wall. That part of the job alone was difficult and time-consuming.

I want to say with the rubber coated flex conduit and all the fittings for the conduit it pretty much doubles the cost of the wire. I want to say for the 25 foot run that I purchased it was about $150 for the conduit the fittings and the three wires. I ended up with about 2 feet extra on each side but it was worth it because #3 wire is so difficult to Pull and maneuver it’s very thick. Surprisingly, the and fittings are very expensive.

The biggest thing you need to know is, do you have room on your electrical panel for a two pole breaker? My install was easier than some and more complicated than others. It was easy because I had both the main panel outside and a sub panel inside. I had to move two of my smaller 20 amp breaker‘s from the outside and transfer them to the inside sub panel to make room for the two pole 100 amp double breaker to run straight to the Tesla wall unit. If you see in the photo of my utility wall I had to cut a hole in the wall to pull the wires out of the main panel. After I disconnected them from the breakers and pulled the breakers out had to insert them into the sub panel through the rear of the sub panel behind the wall. That part of the job alone was difficult and time-consuming.
Well have the Nema 14-50 plug that I was just going to come off of it has a 50 amp breaker? Sound Ok?