Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 adapter not included anymore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI - for all people pending delivery of their Model 3. I took delivery on 5/11 (05/19 build) and the NEMA 14-50 adapter is no longer included in the Mobile Connector. The only adapter it comes with is the NEMA 5-15 (standard home outlet).

Also missing are the USB phone charging cables. I asked the delivery manager and he said they just recently started this to reduce cost.

Reactions: xanatos
Yeah, I got one, but was told they wouldn't be including them anymore. It is pretty minor but I would guess it is not all that commonly used. People either use 115v and superchargers or a wall charger. And it they do have a 240v outlet the cost of the adapter is pretty minor.

The store’s mobile charger doesn’t have it in the kit anymore too. I have 2 mobile chargers and don’t use either 14-50 because I have two different 240v plugs at home and work. 14-50 is very uncommon plug.

Well it's the only current 50 amp plug and is used for all new electric stove/ranges. There are plenty of adapters out there to plug into various 40 and 30 amp plugs.

Well it's the only current 50 amp plug and is used for all new electric stove/ranges. There are plenty of adapters out there to plug into various 40 and 30 amp plugs.
No, there’s also the 6-50 outlet for 50A circuits, and there’s no such thing as a 40A outlet. 40A circuits use either the 14-50 or 6-50 outlet just as 50A circuits do.

Being that the "infotainment system" doesn't take data from the phones, and only bluetooth, I don't have a problem with the cost-cutting cord omission.

I'd rather have the ambient lighting enabled in my SR+, than have the phone cables. Sounds like a good deal, if Tesla would do it... ;)

Reactions: RScottyL
This was announced some time ago.

It shouldn’t surprise people that a company trying to maintain a margin is skimping where they can.

I think it has more to do with saving them from headaches than anything.

Steering them towards a wall connector for that size circuit is better anyways. Than trying explain why they only get 32A on a 50A circuit. I bet a lot of people ask for swaps to an outlet they do have. Like a dryer outlet.

I bet very few people use those charge cables. And they probably get complaints that customer wants to swap for two lighting, two usb-c or two micro-usb. And they don’t work with most cases. Those cables probably cost them $0.20 each.

Just a hunch.

This is a non-issue for me. I have a bunch of USB-Lightning cables around the house, and they’re a commodity item you can get almost anywhere.
You need a cable with an angled plug of the right length and thickness. Not that common. The Tesla cables cost $14 (!). The profit margin must be Apple-like, which is probably why they are no longer included for free. :p

I can understand why they don't include the 14-50 adapter anymore, but leaving out the phone cables seems like penny pinching, especially given that phone docking is an advertised feature.

At the time I got my car (9/2018) they gave you a iPhone connector cable and an android one and a number of members here and when I was at delivery wanted two of the same kind. We knew this ahead of time so at the delivery center we found another Model 3 owner who wanted an android pair so swapped with them. Painless and immediately gave us what we needed. Not everyone knew to do that or had delivery at home where it wasn't possible. So I suppose from Tesla's standpoint it was also just easier for people to order what they need instead.

Reactions: afadeev