Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 adapter not included anymore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need a cable with an angled plug of the right length and thickness. Not that common. The Tesla cables cost $14 (!). The profit margin must be Apple-like, which is probably why they are no longer included for free. :p

Financially - this is a non issue.
Annoyance wise - it would have been high up on my WTF list. Charging your cell phone while driving is standard practice for just about everyone, and having a convenient way to do so was the only thing I asked the delivery guy to help show me when I got my TM3P.

Saving $14 (more like $1.40 in actual cost for Tesla) seams like a dumb thing to do if Tesla cared about customer experience. BTW, none of the nearby delivery center stock anything, so in addition to figure out what's missing, a new customer will now need to order the stupid cable online

w.r.t. NEMA 5-15 (120V receptacle, aka L1) vs. 14-50 (240V one, aka L2): the former are widely available, but usually wired into 15Amp circuits, which will provided token minimal charging of ~3 miles per hour charging. Practically useless, unless you are stuck in a middle of a desert on empty battery, and have 4 days to spare to charge it.
The latter are wired into 40-50Amp circuits in all modern homes, and could actually charge your Tesla battery overnight.

Again, a very dubious "upgrade" by Tesla.

*sigh*

a

Reactions: BestHand
Doesn't everyone already have a drawer of USB cables? I bet I have over 20 USB-A to USB-micro or C, and USB-A to lighting plugs. And every charger or charger pad I buy adds another one.

the NEMA 14-50 still comes with most deliveries, and the NEMA 10-30 (Dryer plug) never did. But you can by either for your Mobile charger from EVSEadapters.com electrical adapters for Tesla drivers, welders, RVs

The latter are wired into 40-50Amp circuits in all modern homes, and could actually charge your Tesla battery overnight.
The thing is that 14-50 outlets are not common in homes unless specifically installed for a Tesla. There are many other options (wall charger, 10-30 or 14-30 dryer outlet, 6-50 outlet, and people who don't drive much may be happy with 120V charging), so the 14-50 adapter isn't actually useful for everyone. The adapter had a secondary use for charging in RV parks in the early days when the supercharger network wasn't well developed, but those days are over in most areas.

• Informative
Reactions: UTMB and mswlogo
The thing is that 14-50 outlets are not common in homes unless specifically installed for a Tesla. There are many other options (wall charger, 10-30 or 14-30 dryer outlet, 6-50 outlet, and people who don't drive much may be happy with 120V charging), so the 14-50 adapter isn't actually useful for everyone. The adapter had a secondary use for charging in RV parks in the early days when the supercharger network wasn't well developed, but those days are over.

A Nema 14-50 plug is easy and cheap to add and support most EVs. I paid $20 for parts at Home Depot and $150 for the electrician labor to add one in my garage. Took about and hour for him to install it. But the cost will vary depending upon where you circuit breakers are located.

• Helpful
Reactions: PittCaleb
The thing is that 14-50 outlets are not common in homes unless specifically installed for a Tesla. There are many other options (wall charger, 10-30 or 14-30 dryer outlet, 6-50 outlet, and people who don't drive much may be happy with 120V charging), so the 14-50 adapter isn't actually useful for everyone. The adapter had a secondary use for charging in RV parks in the early days when the supercharger network wasn't well developed, but those days are over in most areas.

14-50 is standard for electric dryers in the US, thus present in all homes build post 1950s (year varies by state when current electric codes were adopted).

I sort-of see the value of 120V 5-15 plug for travel emergencies, except that the ~3 miles/hour charging speed is impractically slow. I guess, better that than nothing, if you are absolutely stranded.

Since I have never gotten stranded in 5 years of EV ownership (and could Tesla for help), to me, the value of having access to an L2 charging speeds from an electric dryer outlet is significantly greater.

a

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
A Nema 14-50 plug is easy and cheap to add and support any EV. I paid $20 for parts at Home Depot and $150 for the electrician labor to add one in my garage. Took about and hour for him to install it. But the cost will vary depending upon where you circuit breakers are located.
That is an extraordinarily low price. Most people here in the Bay Area pay at least several hundred dollar. Personally I use an existing 10-30 dryer outlet which cost me nothing at all.

Last edited:
That is an extraordinarily low price. Most people here in the Bay Area pay at least several hundred dollar. Personally I use an existing 10-30 dryer outlet which cost me nothing at all.

As I said, it depends on what they have to do to get wires from the panel to the outlet. My panel is in garage and was 1 foot away from where the NEMA 14-50 outlet was installed. Installation was mount NEMA 14-50 plug in standard box. Screw box to wall. Fish wires 1 foot behind drywall from panel CB to box.

Dryer in our house is an interior laundry room should would have been very expensive to connect and is lower amperage (30 A vs 50 A), so slower to charge.

Telsa UMC has 20 foot cable, so you can put the outlet in front, on side, or behind car and the charging wand will reach.

And I am in the SF Bay Area.

Last edited:
As I said, it depends on what they have to do to get wires from the panel to the outlet. My panel is in garage and was 1 foot away from where the NEMA 14-50 outlet was installed. Installation was mount NEMA 14-50 plug in standard box. Screw box to wall. Fish wires 1 foot behind drywall from panel CB to box.
I know that it's not that difficult, but most electricians don't even get in their truck for $150. And you also won't get a permit for anywhere near this price, which might get you in trouble in case an electrical fire breaks out. Electricians typically quote somewhere between $500-1000 around here depending on the difficulty of install.

14-50 is standard for electric dryers in the US, thus present in all homes build post 1950s (year varies by state when current electric codes were adopted).

I sort-of see the value of 120V 5-15 plug for travel emergencies, except that the ~3 miles/hour charging speed is impractically slow. I guess, better that than nothing, if you are absolutely stranded.

Since I have never gotten stranded in 5 years of EV ownership (and could Tesla for help), to me, the value of having access to an L2 charging speeds from an electric dryer outlet is significantly greater.

a

I’ve never seen a 14-50 outlet used on a residential dryer. 14-50 is typically used for electric ovens. Residential Dryers usually take 30A.

The most common dryer plug for many years was an 11-30. Now illegal for new installs and usually a 14-30 is used.

• Informative
Reactions: tschmidty
I know that it's not that difficult, but most electricians don't even get in their truck for $150. And you also won't get a permit for anywhere near this price, which might get you in trouble in case an electrical fire breaks out. Electricians typically quote somewhere between $500-1000 around here depending on the difficulty of install.

$150 is what they charged me.

And now we redid the whole charging because we received an Elon Signature HPWC as a result of some referrals. That required running a lot more cable, tearing out part of the garage ceiling, wallboard repair, repainting the garage, permit, etc. It was thousands, but the it sure does look nice.

But, even through it looks nice, I still I wonder if I should have stayed with the NEMA 14-50 plug for $170, since it does not charge any faster with the HPWC. :rolleyes:

$150 is what they charged me.

And now we redid the whole charging because we received an Elon Signature HPWC as a result of some referrals. That required running a lot more cable, tearing out part of the garage ceiling, wallboard repair, repainting the garage, permit, etc. It was thousands, but the it sure does look nice.

But, even through it looks nice, I still I wonder if I should have stayed with the NEMA 14-50 plug for $170, since it does not charge any faster with the HPWC. :rolleyes:

It better, or your were ripped off. 14-50 will only do 32A, Wall Connector will do 48A.

• Informative
Reactions: tschmidty and JBT66