Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 adapter not included anymore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I'm missing the "point" of this discussion/argument.

I have had my Model 3 for about 3 weeks now. I installed a 14-50 in my garage right simply. As stated earlier, about $100 in parts and $150 to my licensed electrician neighbor, even though legally (and by my skills) I could have done this. So I'm "all in" for $250.

It we wired up the wall charger, the parts would have been the same minus $15 for the outlet itself. Same AWG6 wire, same conduit, same circuit breaker. So save $15 but add $500.

But... If I were adding a wall unit, I would add a generic J-plug. Why would I add in a tesla specific outlet for $500 when for the same price or less I could add in a j-plug and be SURE I could charge a different car or my motorcycle?

I pay 16c/kWh here in NJ. I believe I ran the numbers once and that comes to about 1/3 the price of gasoline. So I re-coup that installation, I'm going to need to use it a lot. If I added in a $500 wall charger, it would take forever to break even.

I'm new to the EV game obviously, and I know "fuel" is never free, someone is paying even if I am not. But keep in mind, part of the economics of the Tesla is refueling is so much cheaper than a car. Superchargers aren't free, but they are cheaper than gasoline. IIRC, I was told my charge cost $2.xx for 50 miles, so that too is about 1/2 the price of fuel IIRC.

My math for home charging is $1.29/30 miles, so the supercharger came to about the same (which is good to know, that I'm not "wasting" money over-charging on the road).

But if gas==$3/gal, the $500 wall charger will take 9,000 miles to break even on. And that point, you're "even" versus gasoline. The myth that driving an electric car is nearly free is lost entirely when you have these upfront costs.

It's not stupid to just use the wall charger at all. In fact, I leave mine at home. Only if I plan on going on a long trip will I bring it. I can't imagine in regular weekly driving, needing a 110/220 outlet charge. I would either charge at work on a J-plug, at a common place on a J-plug or a super charger. So my mobile charger is in fact a wall charger, and having standard range, it has the same charging speed.

Yes, a lot of people want the 14-50 plug on their mobile charger. If it's only $14, then just throw it into the price of this $40k+ car, what's the big deal. I just had to order $50 floor mats because my $45k SR+ w/FSD didn't come with them. Annoyed. I would be even moreso if I couldn't easily charge this at home. Remember the original EVs, they didn't come with any way to charge at home without $2-3k of add-ons and upgrades. That's why it took people like me this long to adopt. The harder we make this for people to easily use, the less likely they will be to purchase one. That's the real harm here.

Reactions: patrick80132
This was announced some time ago.

It shouldn’t surprise people that a company trying to maintain a margin is skimping where they can.

I understand not including the nema 14-50 since it would push some people to buy a $500 Tesla wall charger which further influences future car purchasing decisions but not including a 6" USB cable which probably costs $0.50 to manufacture is a slap in the face for a vehicle that can cost up to $70k.

Might depend on when car was built if some are getting it and some are not.

This is what I was told at my SC while taking delivery of my P3D+ on 5/15. Some cars are coming with 14-50 and some are not. Same deal with phone charging cables. Mine was already manufactured and in transit when I reserved it on 5/3. I received the 14-50 and J1772, but not phone cables. Not a big deal for me since I'm going to buy a wireless mat anyhow. I'm told I have HW3, but I'm not 100% sure if that's the case.