Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 AMP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
when setting up the charging in the control panel, the default is 40A, my home charger I set to 30 A because time is not an issue for me and I rather run lower Amp than the 40A. When I do this, should I change the Ampere in Tesla to 30A also or doesn't matter to leave at 40A?
I would really like to answer this, because it sounds like there is some confusion here, but I can't quite figure out what you're describing.

What do you mean by "in the control panel"?
Are you talking about the electrical panel of your house?

What do you mean by "my home charger I set to 30 A"
Do you mean you have a Tesla wall connector on a higher rated circuit, but the switches internally are set to 30A? Or do you mean the wall connector or J1772 EVSE is just regular equipment made for a 30A circuit?

Quote: "When I do this, should I change the Ampere in Tesla to 30A also or doesn't matter to leave at 40A?"

Well, if your wall connector is actually set internally to 30A, it will be announcing to the car that 30A is all that is available, so the car setting will not be able to pull any higher no matter what you have it set for.

I just can't get what you're trying to describe. Normally, there is no reason at all to cripple or disable your charging equipment outside of the car to a lower rate. You can set it up as high as you want to make more power available. You can lower the rate in the car if you want to have it charge slower.