Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 & Cable Organizer Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all!

M3 on order... now trying to get the garage set up for charging.

I have some electricians scheduled for quotes later this week, but want to decide where in my garage to get the outlet installed.

I have 2 possible locations. One is the ideal spot for charging and an easier install, but it's between 2 garage doors so it's only a 16" width spot between studs, <20" between garage door tracks. The other spot is much wider, less convenient for charging, but much harder to access for installation.

So 2 questions:

1) Based on experience, what is the minimum possible width of a 14-50 outlet install, cable organizer, and with the travel cable naturally wrapped on the organizer? Is my preferred spot going to be wide enough if I centrally locate the organizer in the space?

2) Can some folks post photos of their setups?

Thanks!

Hey all!

M3 on order... now trying to get the garage set up for charging.

I have some electricians scheduled for quotes later this week, but want to decide where in my garage to get the outlet installed.

I have 2 possible locations. One is the ideal spot for charging and an easier install, but it's between 2 garage doors so it's only a 16" width spot between studs, <20" between garage door tracks. The other spot is much wider, less convenient for charging, but much harder to access for installation.

So 2 questions:

1) Based on experience, what is the minimum possible width of a 14-50 outlet install, cable organizer, and with the travel cable naturally wrapped on the organizer? Is my preferred spot going to be wide enough if I centrally locate the organizer in the space?

2) Can some folks post photos of their setups?

Thanks!
Here’s my setup. When I leave for the day I just hang the wand over the 2x4. Hope this helps

Attachments

• 1D2CBC99-3BC7-404F-A4FF-0E449F84A237.jpeg
    1D2CBC99-3BC7-404F-A4FF-0E449F84A237.jpeg
    357.1 KB · Views: 403
  • 33AC93A8-DAF8-4CEF-BD6D-BA51444819B3.jpeg
    33AC93A8-DAF8-4CEF-BD6D-BA51444819B3.jpeg
    376 KB · Views: 359
Reactions: Moze1021
Your description sounds like something I remember seeing in a YouTube video once:

That video shows a Clipper Creek 16- or 24-amp EVSE, not the Tesla Wall Connector, but I think the sizes are pretty similar. (Check Clipper Creek's Web site for details -- product pages have dimensions, which you can compare to Tesla's.) I don't know exactly how analogous your setup might be, but I thought it might be worth sharing in case it's close.

I bought a used 1st gen UMC and put the NEMA plug on a 2X6 mounted to a beam in the ceiling in about the center of the garage. I used a bike water bottle holder to hold the UMC and a bike hook as a cable "organizer. I park on the RH side of my 2 car garage. From the center location I can reach a Tesla in either position..

For anyone who finds this thread and wants to see more photos of garage charging setups... amazon product pages for charging cable organizers have a bunch of customer photos in the review section. Found that after I started this thread...

Definitely appreciate all the input though

920892_10201333934654280_2131729568_o.jpg

I put a garden hose holder next to my outlet and wind the cable around it. I also have the control unit resting on it so it doesn't strain the cable with its weight hanging, like I see in all these pictures above.

Last edited: