Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema 14-50 Ground Pin Orientation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NEMA 14-50 was installed with the ground pin at 3 clock. Electrician said its easier to zip tie the mobile connector to the horizontal conduit instead of dangling it. However, Tesla's installation instruction say the ground pin should be at the top position of the outlet. Will this be an issue?

The orientation isn't really optional. There should be code covering it. Up or down may be debated, by sideways is definitely bad. If something falls between the plug and socket, that's 240V of unadulterated electricity.

It should be oriented with the UMC hanging downwards.

• Disagree
Reactions: davewill
There's nothing inherently dangerous about mounting it sideways. My EVSE specified my 6-50 plug be sideways, and that's about the only orientation that really works well.
20181015_110746.jpg

There’s nothing wrong with it being sideways. To the best of my knowledge there’s no code specifying receptacle orientation, even though it would make things easier if there was. It’s not dangerous, but in the case where the plug is partially unplugged but still making contact, the side will have 120V present with respect to earth. It’s still lower risk than a regular 5-15 plug without ground when partially unseated since the earth and neutral are farther away and not in the same plane.

Reactions: Hour123
Safety wise you should be OK as long as the UMC is secured and not tugging on the plug. But if you use zip ties it will be harder to pack up the UMC to take with you.

If the UMC is hanging straight down, you can add a hanger bracket for support. The UMC just rest in the bracket by gravity and is not attached. It also keeps the UMC from swinging around when you plug into your car. Makes for easy removal if you decide to take the UMC with you on a trip.

UMC Plugged in.jpeg