Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 with Tesla Solar.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nTLa

MYP5 Blue/Black
Sep 12, 2021
SoCal
I am planing to install NEMA 14-50. The problem where I should install it.

I have Tesla 8.16 Kw PV and 2 powerwalls with a whole house backup. The backup panel is 90 amps, in the biggest breaker is AC at 50 amps, the rest of the breakers are 20 amps. If I install NEMA 14-50 with 40 amp breaker.(I’m not planing to charge the car at the max amp available but just want to take an advantage of Solar in the afternoon after powerwalls fill up).

Will it be safe to install it in the backup panel? Or I should install it at the main panel. Any thought?

Thank you

You will need to get an electrician to tell you where its possible to install it, with your load calculations, and code concerns for your panel etc. It also isnt currently "going to work that way" with the solar going to fill the car instead of back out to the grid, unless you take yourself off grid to trigger that feature.

It currently does not work (for excess solar to go to your car and the car) unless you are off grid. It may change but thats how it is now.

With that being said, to take advantage of any possible "solar fills car" type stuff, you would want the outlet / wall connector what have you on the backup loads side, so thats what you should be targetting. No idea if its possible with your setup but thats what you want to ask for (whatever outlet fits your load calculations on the backup loads side, whether thats 20amp, 30amp etc etc.

Reactions: nTLa
You will need to get an electrician to tell you where its possible to install it, with your load calculations, and code concerns for your panel etc. It also isnt currently "going to work that way" with the solar going to fill the car instead of back out to the grid, unless you take yourself off grid to trigger that feature.

It currently does not work (for excess solar to go to your car and the car) unless you are off grid. It may change but thats how it is now.

With that being said, to take advantage of any possible "solar fills car" type stuff, you would want the outlet / wall connector what have you on the backup loads side, so thats what you should be targetting. No idea if its possible with your setup but thats what you want to ask for (whatever outlet fits your load calculations on the backup loads side, whether thats 20amp, 30amp etc etc.
Thank you for info.

Reactions: jjrandorin
No problem at all. The issue you may have is, electricians (in general) dont really like to put anything on the backup loads side as they dont want to touch anything with the powerwall setup. Most of them dont understand the setup, because its much more complicated than your typical home electrical setup.

we have had a number of people in the tesla energy subforums have issues with trying to add a wall connector, outlet, etc after the fact to the backup loads side, simply because many electricians wont touch it.

Reactions: nTLa
I called Tesla Powerwall support. The support say if there is a space for breaker and the new load not exceed to the maximum load, it should be fine. I had an electrician come in and see. He say NEMA 14-30 should be fine with the current set up but he will do a bit research if NEMA 14-50 is possible.

However, I guess I will do slow charge with NEMA 5-20 at 16 amp - 7 mi/h overnight since I do not drive a lot each day (25 miles) and have NEMA 14-50 added to the main panel in case I need to fill up fast.