Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

240V home charger installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's part of the process here. Isn't that normal for everywhere in the US?
No. It depends on how rebellious/independent your state or city are. I live in Idaho, which still has a lot of background history and attitude that comes from the frontier, pioneer, homesteader, leave me the f&%$ alone, don't want no government, kind of stuff. So a homeowner is allowed to do many kinds of upgrades and improvements to his house without needing permits or inspections.

• Love
Reactions: gtae07
No. It depends on how rebellious/independent your state or city are. I live in Idaho, which still has a lot of background history and attitude that comes from the frontier, pioneer, homesteader, leave me the f&%$ alone, don't want no government, kind of stuff. So a homeowner is allowed to do many kinds of upgrades and improvements to his house without needing permits or inspections.
Yeah, I guess here in IL we're on the other side of that kind of "freedom". At least up here in the Chicago suburbs.

Wall connector option: You need a 60-amp standard breaker ($15) and wire rated at a 60-amps. #6 THHN in a conduit is needed. The connector is currently about $475 and your car will charge at a maximum rate of 48-amps. Total cost of this option is about $490 plus the wire.

The wall connector can be set to lower max Amps if the breaker/wire only support less Amps

He just installed this for 240v outlet
Get an electrician, not the fool you chose.
195C30C9-A728-4115-B7F9-7DCA451A8B45.jpeg

He just installed this for 240v outlet
That’s a 50A breaker which is the correct one for a 14-50 receptacle.
Sort of. The amp level is right, except that code does have that irritating requirement that breakers for EV charging outlets must be GFCI type, which this isn't.
If you substitute a TWC for the 14-50, that breaker and wire should be compliant.
Right, and that would also be the correct breaker type for a wall connector since hard wired devices don't require GFCI breakers.

That breaker requirement is such a pain that I just don't want to recommend outlets to anyone anymore.

Fwiw, folks pretty regularly claim a 14-50 receptacle should be paired with a 50a breaker. This is not true. The outlet capacity is not a detriment so long as it meets or exceeds the circuit (breaker and wiring) capacity. example: Nothing wrong with using a 14-50 receptacle on a 40 amp breaker So long as wiring as wiring matches the breaker. That would be fine for a mobile charger, as one example.

similarly, a GFCI breaker, while defined by current code, may not be required. It certainly is not in my town, as our code compliance spec is something like 2014 code version. That’s not all that unusual. Some consider their absence a ghastly safety violation. I do not. Ymmv.

• Disagree
Reactions: GSP and SageBrush
Tesla does list certified electricians. I used a Tesla certified electrician and he was cognizant of all the relevant issues with installing a Tesla wall charger (60 amp breaker, conduit, wire rating, set up of the charger). Install went well and the inspector complimented the electrician's work. It was expensive but the utility reimbursed me for the install.

Reactions: howardnj
Fwiw, folks pretty regularly claim a 14-50 receptacle should be paired with a 50a breaker. This is not true.
This is a little subjective, because the words "should be" don't have a definite meaning. I would say they should be, so I consider it true. It can cause confusion and problems if people don't, so I recommend that the better and preferred way should be just doing it as a 50A circuit.

Nothing wrong with using a 14-50 receptacle on a 40 amp breaker So long as wiring as wiring matches the breaker. That would be fine for a mobile charger, as one example.
You are talking about "must be", and you're correct that it is not a requirement.

similarly, a GFCI breaker, while defined by current code, may not be required.
Right, that does depend on NEC version adoption in your state.
as our code compliance spec is something like 2014 code version. That’s not all that unusual.
Let's be honest--that actually is very unusual statistically. 43 states in the U.S. are on NEC 2017 or 2020. That is the vast majority of states that do have this requirement. So yes, it is unusual to not have it now (see map of NEC versions below).