Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

240V home charger installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A 60 amp breaker is not allowed to be used with a 50 amp receptacle. Its also not allowed to be used with 6AWG if that 6AWG is not individual conductors in conduit. That is, it would not be allowed with Romex/NM cable for an EV charging circuit, since NMB conductors are only allowed to use the 60C rating(55A) times 80%, which is 44 amps. In this case, with a 14-50 receptacle, its okay-ish since all EV chargers will only allow for 40 amps to be drawn from a 14-50, but its still very wrong to have a 60 amp breaker there.

Its also supposed to be a GFCI breaker, so break out your wallet!

You really shouldn't NEED to tell him. It should be a 50 amp GFCI breaker.
Thanks , it’s a new home and builder contracted electrician, he came to fix the non working switch, and offered me installation by seeing my car, he said he will get all materials and install that outlet for me in garage beside breaker panel for $350, when asked he told the details like 60amp, 6 awg etc

Good point. Going the route of a Tesla Wall Connector will provide you 48 amps vs a mobile connector at 32 amps.
Only if the circuit wiring is rated for 60 amps and has a 60 amp circuit breaker. If the circuit wiring and circuit breaker is rated for 50 amps then the maximum charging amperage when using the Tesla Wall Connector is 40 amps, not 48 amps. (That would still be 25% higher amperage than the 32 amp maximum when using the Tesla Mobile Connector with the 14-50 power plug and 14-50 receptacle.)

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Rocky_H
So you don‘t get lost in the details:

NEMA 14-50 outlet option: needs a 50-amp GFCI breaker ($150) and wire rated at 50-amps or greater. #6 Romex (NM-B) wire is fine as it is rated at 55-amps. The outlet needs to be a Bryant or Hubbell outlet ($80). And of course the mobile connector ($230). Your car will charge at a maximum rate of 32-amps (Mobile Connector limit). Add some sort of cable management system ($35) and you are at about $495 plus the wire.

Wall connector option: You need a 60-amp standard breaker ($15) and wire rated at a 60-amps. #6 THHN in a conduit is needed. The connector is currently about $475 and your car will charge at a maximum rate of 48-amps. Total cost of this option is about $490 plus the wire.

Unless you have some other need for the 14-50, you should consider going with the wall connector.

So you don‘t get lost in the details:

NEMA 14-50 outlet option: needs a 50-amp GFCI breaker ($150) and wire rated at 50-amps or greater. #6 Romex (NM-B) wire is fine as it is rated at 55-amps. The outlet needs to be a Bryant or Hubbell outlet ($80). And of course the mobile connector ($230). Your car will charge at a maximum rate of 32-amps (Mobile Connector limit). Add some sort of cable management system ($35) and you are at about $495 plus the wire.

Wall connector option: You need a 60-amp standard breaker ($15) and wire rated at a 60-amps. #6 THHN in a conduit is needed. The connector is currently about $475 and your car will charge at a maximum rate of 48-amps. Total cost of this option is about $490 plus the wire.

Unless you have some other need for the 14-50, you should consider going with the wall connector.

That's the best summary of the pros/cons of a NEMA 14-50 receptacle vs hardwired EVSE I've seen!

Here's the Tesla Wall Connector page: https://shop.tesla.com/product/wall-connector

I too recommend the Tesla Wall Connector over a receptacle+Mobile Connector. Since the electrician will likely do it wrong, ask him to use 6 gauge MC Cable to do the wiring and not 6 gauge NM-B (Romex) with a 60A regular breaker. You should buy the Wall Connector now and have the electrician back when it arrives so that he can install it correctly.

It's probably a state by state thing. Here in Illinois it doesn't take much to call yourself an electrician. The non-sense I've seen - Golly. It's expensive, but in this state the union forces a level of knowledge such that theres often a considerable difference in expertise.

That said, I've used plenty of electricians that didn't know some aspects of code. None have had a problem with me saying "I'm sure you're right, but I'll spend the money to get XYZ. Ymmv.

• Informative
Reactions: Darmie
If the circuit wiring and circuit breaker is rated for 50 amps then the maximum charging amperage when using the Tesla Wall Connector is 40 amps, not 48 amps. (That would still be 25% higher amperage than the 32 amp maximum when using the Tesla Mobile Connector with the 14-50 power plug and 14-50 receptacle.)
Recently built a house with 3 wall connectors. It was discussed throughout the build for 60 on each. Found out they were only 50 so set up each charger for 40amps. I'm thinking they may had did a load test, but other than the AC everything is gas.

It's probably a state by state thing. Here in Illinois it doesn't take much to call yourself an electrician. The non-sense I've seen - Golly. It's expensive, but in this state the union forces a level of knowledge such that theres often a considerable difference in expertise.

That said, I've used plenty of electricians that didn't know some aspects of code. None have had a problem with me saying "I'm sure you're right, but I'll spend the money to get XYZ. Ymmv.
Doesn't getting a permit eliminate the worry?