Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

240V home charger installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fwiw, folks pretty regularly claim a 14-50 receptacle should be paired with a 50a breaker. This is not true. The outlet capacity is not a detriment so long as it meets or exceeds the circuit (breaker and wiring) capacity. example: Nothing wrong with using a 14-50 receptacle on a 40 amp breaker So long as wiring as wiring matches the breaker. That would be fine for a mobile charger, as one example.

An EV circuit must be derated for continuous usage. A 40 Amp load requires a 50A breaker and a 50A conductor. Your example of a Tesla mobile EVSE is fine, but the NEC tries to protect the next person who plugs in and is unaware of the wiring and circuit rating.

The OP's "electrician" said (OP's word, anyway) he will use 6awg and 60 amp breaker. This can overload the receptacle, and will overload #6 AWG Romex at 48 Amps

Last edited:
I'm putting this out here for verification. There seems to be a few very knowledgeable members and I would appreciate their input. My electrician is planning on installing the following:
*Installation 2 pole 60A Eaton Breaker (Client has2 Spare Spaces and 200A Panel)
*Run 55 feet of 3/4" Metal Conduit(Expose Conduit in the Garage)
*Pull Number 6 Coper Wire x 2
*Pull Number 10 Coper Wire x 1
This is after he upgrades my service from 100A to 200A. Do the wire gauges look correct for this installation? I assume they are, since the city has to approve it, but some of you are making me question the value of a permit.
Edit: I have a Tesla Wall Charger being installed.

I'm putting this out here for verification. There seems to be a few very knowledgeable members and I would appreciate their input. My electrician is planning on installing the following:
*Installation 2 pole 60A Eaton Breaker (Client has2 Spare Spaces and 200A Panel)
*Run 55 feet of 3/4" Metal Conduit(Expose Conduit in the Garage)
*Pull Number 6 Coper Wire x 2
*Pull Number 10 Coper Wire x 1
This is after he upgrades my service from 100A to 200A. Do the wire gauges look correct for this installation? I assume they are, since the city has to approve it, but some of you are making me question the value of a permit.
Edit: I have a Tesla Wall Charger being installed.
Yes that looks good.

In the future, just start a new thread. The usual suspects monitor the charging threads and will chime in.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Mike728
An EV circuit must be derated for continuous usage. A 40 Amp load requires a 50A breaker and a 50A conductor. Your example of a Tesla mobile EVSE is fine, but the NEC tries to protect the next person who plugs in and is unaware of the wiring and circuit rating.

The OP's "electrician" said (OP's word, anyway) he will use 6awg and 60 amp breaker. This can overload the receptacle, and will overload #6 AWG Romex at 48 Amps

Sure. SOP. So? your point of contention is what? One can still use a 14-50 on a lesser circuit. Actually kinda handy. You state NEC is protecting folks. I’m always looking to learn: Is there some code saying otherwise I’ve missed? Is this maybe just a personal philosophy?

So basically if I use NEMA 14-50 tesla portable connector, then 240v with 50a breaker in the breaker panel is the way to go right?

The UMC with 14-50 only does 32A. (Safety/cost thing) So you could just have a 40A breaker.

However, it should be safer and more future-proofed if properly wired for 50A. You could then switch later to a Wall Connector set to charge at 40A, or use the socket for something else that could use the full 50A.

The UMC with 14-50 only does 32A. (Safety/cost thing) So you could just have a 40A breaker.

However, it should be safer and more future-proofed if properly wired for 50A. You could then switch later to a Wall Connector set to charge at 40A, or use the socket for something else that could use the full 50A.
Thanks for the response, I am mainly concerned in safety, and 50A sounds like is no less safe the 40A breaker in terms of chances of something catching on fire right?

1694634926625.png

Only future proofing you can do is running wire for 60 amp circuit, 4 gauge
Use 40 am breaker with the UMC
Then one day change the outlet to hard wired to a Tesla Wall Connector
Change the breaker to 60amp to realize 48amp charging
No 60 or 50 amp breaker with the UMC

So basically if I use NEMA 14-50 tesla portable connector, then 240v with 50a breaker in the breaker panel is the way to go right?
The NEC permits a 40A breaker to be used with the NEMA 14-50 receptacle if there is insufficient capacity for adding a 50A circuit but can add 40A. The 14-50 receptacle would be labeled 40A to avoid any future confusion. The Tesla Mobile Connector will not exceed 32A when using the NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter with either 40A or 50A breakers. A GFCI receptacle or GFCI breaker is now required for new EV charging circuits. 50A GFCI breakers cost ~$100. Assuming 40A GFCI breakers exist these would probably cost about the same. For this reason (no GFCI breaker needed) the Tesla Wall Connector is frequently a better option. The Wall Connector can be used on any 240V circuit rated from 15A up to 60A and requires only two wires (plus ground.)

The NEC permits a 40A breaker to be used with the NEMA 14-50 receptacle if there is insufficient capacity for adding a 50A circuit but can add 40A. The 14-50 receptacle would be labeled 40A to avoid any future confusion. The Tesla Mobile Connector will not exceed 32A when using the NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter with either 40A or 50A breakers. A GFCI receptacle or GFCI breaker is now required for new EV charging circuits. 50A GFCI breakers cost ~$100. Assuming 40A GFCI breakers exist these would probably cost about the same. For this reason (no GFCI breaker needed) the Tesla Wall Connector is frequently a better option. The Wall Connector can be used on any 240V circuit rated from 15A up to 60A and requires only two wires (plus ground.)
great info, spoke with my electrician and he said doing a 50amp breaker and 240v nema14-50 outlet in the garage is the way to go.

Reactions: Rocky_H

Yall gotta stop with this bad practice during install of installing a 40A breaker on a 14-50 outlet. It doesn't freaking matter if the UMC only pulls 32A. Its not good practice to use a lower amp breaker just because it fits for the current situation with the UMC. If you sell the house or rent out the place, the next schmuck is going to put in their non UMC 14-50 EVSE and is going to want to charge at 40A. Its not even a cost issue because a 40A breaker vs. a 50A breaker cost is not that much difference so really no excuses.

Tesla does list certified electricians. I used a Tesla certified electrician and he was cognizant of all the relevant issues with installing a Tesla wall charger (60 amp breaker, conduit, wire rating, set up of the charger). Install went well and the inspector complimented the electrician's work. It was expensive but the utility reimbursed me for the install.
Same here! I used a local NJ licensed electrician recommended by Tesla. Yes they were expensive! Yes they did excellent work. They purchase all of the required mateiral at a local electrical supply house and not at cheaper big box stores. They filled out the required load/data form and submitted it to NJ PSE&G so I was able to receive the PSE&G $1500 rebate. They also arranged for the required local permit and inspection.
You get what you pay for in this world.

Attachments

• Tesla Garage Charger IMG_7806.JPG
    Tesla Garage Charger IMG_7806.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 36