Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA (Australia) Energy market structure and mechanisms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird thing is the wholesale power prices are reducing currently in the East Coast.
Network and distribution costs are going up considerably, though - they get a regulated return on the assets, and as interest rates rise the rate of that regulated return rises too.

Doubtful Evie was buying at spot anyway, they probably had at least some power purchase agreements locked in, and the prices of those would have gone up with the higher spot prices over the last year.

Nobody seriously believes power is getting cheaper. We keep closing down our power plants. Oh, look, ACTEWAGL hiked my home ToU prices this week...
Screenshot_20230621_113838_Samsung Notes.jpg

That's what happens when you let unions run the superannuation funds that own the utilities. They don't care about the workers. Not this country's workers anyway. They just want to wreck the place.

Electricity is a matter of national security. It should be managed better than this.
Have you heard of this thing called "climate change"? Your post loses credibility when you say things like unions don't care about workers. Do you actually understand what a union is?

Of course if your point was that "the (private) owners of coal fired power plants should be redeploying their workers into large scale renewable projects" then I would completely agree with your statement "it should be managed better than this"..! :)

Reactions: Vostok
Um, coal-fired plants are not being shut down due to that 🙄. They simply can’t make enough money to cover their operating expenses as capacity factors drop due to renewables eating their lunch.
And that points to a market failure. I'm not keen on being trapped in a lift somewhere because SNSWNB & the grid battery operators are gouging as badly as the gas plant owners always do.

Might be worth checking out the Watt Clarity and NEMWatch sites to get a bit more insight into things. Especially the impacts of batteries on FCAS costs.

As for the electricity spot price, the final price is set by the most expensive bidder (eg gas) and that becomes the price for all (renewables). It looks counterintuitive, so careful reading of the description of the market arrangement is needed.

We have strayed a very long way from discussing current and future Evie sites. I wonder if the mods might like to create a new thread somewhere for electricity market structure and mechanism?

• Love
Reactions: mukaibot