Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neutral: Why is it available when driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone changing cars there can be (rare) occasions where one can hit the wiper switch because your previous model or a recent rental had the lights or indicators there :)

Yesterday I absentmindedly put the gear into Neutral when intending to indicate and then wondered where the regen had gone .....

As you'd expect, we can't select Park or Reverse while driving. But this made me wonder why switching from Drive to Neutral is allowed by the system. What is the use-case?

When parking you may want to coast into a spot (when creep is on, but let’s not start that pro and con). We use the parking ‘humps’ in our garage and the space is so tight that sometimes you want to use neutral to ‘fall’ into them. :D

Not exactly sure why having neutral available is even a question....

• Guess it's good I'm not in the UK
  • How would they know the engine is off and/or in 'N'??

they won't, but coasting is illegal and shutting our car off too. both as you need to be in full control of the vehicle at all times. For example in case you need to suddenly brake (Where being in gear adds engine braking) or if you need to suddenly accelerate to dodge something.

If you're hydroplaning, one of the best things to do is put your car in neutral and don't touch the brakes. It prevents unintended engine braking or acceleration. Of course once you're out of the hydroplane you would put the vehicle back into drive.

For anyone changing cars there can be (rare) occasions where one can hit the wiper switch because your previous model or a recent rental had the lights or indicators there :)

Yesterday I absentmindedly put the gear into Neutral when intending to indicate and then wondered where the regen had gone .....

As you'd expect, we can't select Park or Reverse while driving. But this made me wonder why switching from Drive to Neutral is allowed by the system. What is the use-case?

Because most every other car allows it?
Because why not?

Useful for automated drive-thru car wash (not me)
I believe we have a big winner.
But there are reasons in an ICE machine to have neutral (coasting to save fuel on downhill) or towing. Neither apply to the Tesla. Just seems an odd hangover.
Depending on particulars, coasting saves “fuel” in a Tesla too. There are tons of old threads about this, extending back years. The outline is, round-trip efficiency of regen is in the 60% range, whereas kinetic energy doesn’t suffer such losses.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I do coast briefly on occasion. Usually when going down a slight downgrade, when the car won't speed up. Sometimes just to find out what my ancillary energy use is. I do not feel the loss of any control of the vehicle, on the contrary; I'm telling it what to do - in this case nothing. As long as you're over 5mph, you don't need the brake pedal to put it back into D.