Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New “turning” adaptive LED lights - did I miss the boat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to collect my new Model S 100D on 1st December and have just seen the news that all Model S cars now come with “Turning” adaptive LEDS as standard. Having revisited the spec of the car I purchased (fully loaded bar the rear facing seats), it does not give me the detail specifics apart from the “premium upgrades package” options. My question is, for anyone who may know - how do I know if I will receive these new lights!? I have them currently on my BMW and I think they are worth their weight in gold, I will be absolutely gutted if I have missed the boat because I pushed the button 2 weeks too early on the Tesla!

No, I think you got that wrong, due to Tesla's deceptive advertising. We've discussed this a million times on TMC. The product hasn't changed.

Screen Shot 2017-11-26 at 5.53.50 AM.png

Those are "turninglights", not "lights that turn". It means that the lights are meant for turning, not that the lights turn. The LEDs are fixed, and light up differently depending on which direction you have your turning wheels pointed. While the above Tesla use is proper English, it is intentionally ambiguous, and dishonest. I don't like those types of games.

Having said all that, it works mediocrely; it helps. When driving in the mountains at night, I found that it did not work as well as it could, so it is a feature they could easily fool you into thinking is awesome that actually isn't. It's more useful parking than driving regular mountain speeds. We've even had some TMCers notice it for the first time parking (since they never notice it normally) and ask what's wrong with their car, because it is such an understated feature and they never knew it worked until then. Some posters also explained that competitive manufacturer's models that have the feature actually work better; I don't know if they work well in mountain driving speeds.

Last edited:
Ah ok! Thanks Ulmo. I won’t expect the same standard as my BMW in that case! Adding the true mechanics to compete with other major car manufactures will be more hardware most probably and this is something Tesla might want to avoid given their production effeciency to date (specifically to the model S and X). Maybe the future Tesla models could consider it? Who knows...

Thanks again!

Reactions: Ulmo