Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 12V Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has been building electric vehicles for almost 10 years (the original Tesla roadster was a converted Lotus Elise.) In that time Tesla has improved the charging algorithm for the 12V battery at least four different times. The accounts of Tesla 12V batteries failing early should be limited to recent, i.e. 2020 - 2021 Tesla vehicle production. While production has continued to increase (~900k vehicles in 2021) accounts of 12V battery failures do not appear to be keeping pace with the number of Tesla vehicles being built. By now Tesla may have fine tuned the 12V battery charging so that the battery can be maintained without overcharging or other conditions that contribute to battery failure.

Time will tell if the new Tesla lithium 12V battery (15V spec) is a more reliable alternative to the older lead-acid 12V.

Last edited:
The debate between the 12V lead acid and lithium Ohmmu is that the draw-usage of the Tesla's is dramatically different than an ICE car. So the points that C-Bus Y and Vin_L made are valid. As Dennisis surmised, I do live in the desert South West, so I'm used to preventively replacing 12V lead acid batteries in my ICE cars every 3 years. But in a Tesla with its different loading characteristics, it seems to be worse. And the Tesla is "supposed" to give a 1-month popup warning when a replacement is needed -- but there are numerous reports of it not doing so. Not really the Tesla's fault, the lead acid battery just fails...

The motivation for me to replace my Oct 2021 MYLR 12V lead acid with Ohmmu is the same as Tesla's motivation to eliminate the 12V lead acid battery and use the much smaller lithium battery instead (that is in the newest vehicles).

It just takes being stranded once, out in the country, with no cell service, to appreciate a working vehicle. So for me, yes, the Ohmmu is cheap. I'd much rather have the "new" lithium battery that Tesla is shipping with some newer vehicles; but they don't seem willing to offer retrofit since several subsystems have to be replaced (to support 15.5V instead of 12V).

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021