Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 18" Pilot Sport 4S - Tesla Spec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw these new Tesla Spec-ed (Acoustic Foam, Eco-Focused) 18" tires (235x45x18) Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. I'm wondering what new rim's Tesla is aiming to provide with these!

Could the new referral forged wheels be 18" diameter?!?!

@Jedi2155,

Be awesome if the new rims fit the P3D+. Not sure if I’d ever run 18’s but I know a lot of people that probably would...esp in winter.

Ski

Those are Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires, not 4S. They are an older model.

They're not older, just a different line. The 4 is tuned very slightly towards a little more confort and less noise, at the expense of very small subtleties in track handling as compared to the 4S.

See the following video for a direct comparison:

The bottom line is that unless you get out on the track, even professional drivers would have a hard time telling the difference.

Furthermore, the change in handling, noise, and comfort due to the difference in size (18" vs 20") is way larger than the difference between the 4 and 4S construction. (When comparing the two Michelin Pilot Sport tires in the Tesla T0 spec sizes).

Just saw these new Tesla Spec-ed (Acoustic Foam, Eco-Focused) 18" tires (235x45x18) Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. I'm wondering what new rim's Tesla is aiming to provide with these!

Could the new referral forged wheels be 18" diameter?!?!

Note the Eco-Focused is a little misleading. They are not focused on efficiency but focused on “performance” as in grip.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
They're not older, just a different line. The 4 is tuned very slightly towards a little more confort and less noise, at the expense of very small subtleties in track handling as compared to the 4S.

See the following video for a direct comparison:

The bottom line is that unless you get out on the track, even professional drivers would have a hard time telling the difference.

Furthermore, the change in handling, noise, and comfort due to the difference in size (18" vs 20") is way larger than the difference between the 4 and 4S construction. (When comparing the two Michelin Pilot Sport tires in the Tesla T0 spec sizes).

I mean the 4 did come out like a year before the 4S, so they are older. And while all the points you made are true the 4S demonstrates the edge for braking distance and lap times.

The 4S is the successor to the Pilot Super Sports. The similar naming to the PS4 is just a coincidence. They improve a lot, especially in wet conditions over the PSS. The PS4S are also available in more sizes IIRC.

Seems I did make a mistake between the PS4 and PS4S.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 vs Pilot Sport 4 S vs Cup 2 - Tyre Reviews

Note the Eco-Focused is a little misleading. They are not focused on efficiency but focused on “performance” as in grip.

Supposedly, Tesla spec-ed Pilot Sport 4S ARE eco-focused in the sense that they have a harder rubber compound on the center patch of the tire to lower rolling resistance while maintaining the cornering rubber on the edge of the tire where its most valuable which is really part the entire PS4S line-up. I suspect Tesla specified an even harder compound than most as given by their higher treadwear rating to give it even lower rolling resistance. At one point it was reported as 500 vs. 300 (although the website no longer indicates that.

So while we're on the subject...

What's the best ("ultra") summer option for 235/45-18 for a Model 3 Performance with the 18" TST wheels? (I'm currently running Continental DWS06 all-seasons and scouting what the replacement might be.)

So while we're on the subject...

What's the best ("ultra") summer option for 235/45-18 for a Model 3 Performance with the 18" TST wheels? (I'm currently running Continental DWS06 all-seasons and scouting what the replacement might be.)
Can't go wrong with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

I'll be looking at those once I run through my MXM4s. Also running 18"TSTs.

Reactions: SammichLover

Isn't that the BEST kind of "performance"?
:D

The PS4S are also available in more sizes IIRC.
PS 4S's are available in 245/40-19 size (as are RE71R's), or +10mm wider than stock 19" TM3 tires.
They will fit and work great on 19x8.5" Tesla TM3 wheels!

Supposedly, Tesla spec-ed Pilot Sport 4S ARE eco-focused in the sense that they have a harder rubber compound on the center patch of the tire to lower rolling resistance while maintaining the cornering rubber on the edge of the tire where its most valuable which is really part the entire PS4S line-up. I suspect Tesla specified an even harder compound than most as given by their higher treadwear rating to give it even lower rolling resistance. At one point it was reported as 500 vs. 300 (although the website no longer indicates that.

That's incorrect.

Tesla-spec 4S's added a foam "Acoustic Tech" layer inside the tire, good for a little less noise, a little more weight, and +15% more cost.
The multi-band rubber compound is the same across all Michelin 4S tires: standard, Tesla-spec (TO), and Porsche-spec (NO). Still, good tires, though treadwear rating of 300 is misleadingly high - they don't last that long.

More info here:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...ipOver=true&minSpeedRating=V&minLoadRating=XL

a

Tesla-spec 4S's added a foam "Acoustic Tech" layer inside the tire, good for a little less noise, a little more weight, and +15% more cost.
The multi-band rubber compound is the same across all Michelin 4S tires: standard, Tesla-spec (TO), and Porsche-spec (NO). Still, good tires, though treadwear rating of 300 is misleadingly high - they don't last that long.
What's the difference in the NO vs. standard on the 4S?

Thanks for the link. From multiple links, I get the gist of the program. But what nobody seems to explain is the actual difference in the tires. If I install the N0 on my Model 3 what will be or feel different vs. the "generics"?

Not 100% transparent.
At the very least, it means that N-spec tires were tested by the OEM (Porsche) and come pre-installed on certain Porsche models. N-ZERO means that it's the first in the serious of OEM tires for that particular model. Subsequent iterations would be marked N-1, N-2, etc.

Some speculate that stamping an "N0" mark is all there is to it, plus a price markup.
Others argue that Porsche may have required tire supplier to subtly modify the rubber compound or the tire sidewall constrctruction, and point out to a few examples were N-spec and non-N-spec Pirelli tires carried different weight rating, max inflation, and tread depth.
“N0” (N -Zero) spec tires vs. not - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Many OEMs play this OEM-spec game. In the case of BMW (), it was proven to be a pure marketing game. I can't speak for other automakers, but for myself, I will be buying standard 4S replacement tires when the time comes:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=23&

Many OEMs play this OEM-spec game. In the case of BMW (), it was proven to be a pure marketing game. I can't speak for other automakers, but for myself, I will be buying standard 4S replacement tires when the time comes:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=23&

Please report back when your findings when you do eventually swap tires. Many of us would love to save from having to buy OEM Tesla tires to save if they're unnecessary.

The only Tesla oem (T0) version for the PS4S is the 20" oem size option. It includes the foam lining inside of the tire for noise reduction.
Actually, there are two different 20" T0 PS4S tires available for the Model 3, at least from Tirerack.com

235/35ZR20 https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ll=Blackwall&partnum=335YR0PS4SXLAC&tab=Specs

275/30ZR20 https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...all=Blackwall&partnum=73YR0PS4SXLAC&tab=Specs

Also, there are these performance T0 spec tires for the Model S, which at least shows a trend
245/35ZR21 PS4S https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ll=Blackwall&partnum=435YR1PS4SXLAC&tab=Specs

265/35ZR21 PS4S https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ll=Blackwall&partnum=635YR1PS4SXLAC&tab=Specs

245/35ZR21 PSS https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...all=Blackwall&partnum=435YR1PSSXLAC&tab=Specs

265/35ZR21 PSS https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...all=Blackwall&partnum=635YR1PSSXLAC&tab=Specs

We'll isn't that interesting. I wonder if the OEM Model 3 275/30/20 is for the referral prize forged wheels that have yet to appear.

Speculation time...One possibility I thought of is that Tesla will introduce new wheel choices for the P3D in Q3 consisting of either a staggered 235/35R20 front & 275/30R20 rear setup or 18 inch wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. Possibly the return of a P3D+ and P3D-.

The 20 inch staggered wheels might be forged and can possibly also be the referral prize wheels.

Last edited: