Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious about experiences from others who had an existing reservation pre-refresh. We submitted our order Jan 23.

Since the refresh announcement, all I've heard from our SA is a generic text blast.

1. Text didn't mention anything about the $2,000 discount. Has anyone been told by a rep that they won't even get the that $2,000 discount?
2. The text message indicated we need to edit our design to reflect latest pricing and configuration options. It mentions an "edit design" button Under Tesla Account > Manage Reservations, but that button doesn't display for me.

I'm in no rush to call them right now. I want to see/hear more info around the yoke & the gear selection (main touchscreen vs physical buttons where the hazard lights are shown in current renders). Plus, I feel like I get better info hearing from others on the forum than talking to the rep.

Am I missing anything where I need to reach out to them sooner rather than later? I haven't seen anything directly from Tesla or my rep matching the end-of-February deadline I'm seeing others post online.

Try a different browser. I had the same issue until I tried in chrome.

8EC0CEAA-010B-4AE9-9DC0-55A26171F22C.png

During Monro interview, Elon mentioned that they are also intending to up spec 12v battery to 48-50 Volts. Will allow them to duplex data with power to accessories. Will be much more efficient and will shrink drasticly the wiring loom.

Elon spoke with distain about desiring to get rid of 12v asap.
Sounds like Power over Ethernet, which uses 48V IIRC.

During Monro interview, Elon mentioned that they are also intending to up spec 12v battery to 48-50 Volts. Will allow them to duplex data with power to accessories. Will be much more efficient and will shrink drasticly the wiring loom.

Elon spoke with distain about desiring to get rid of 12v asap.

Elon said they were changing Model S and X to 12v lithium batteries instead of the current lead acid with the refresh.

So add that to the list of refresh changes. Maybe we won’t need annual battery replacement in the future.

As confirmed by the Elon Musk / Sandy Munroe interview yesterday and leaked photos of front and rear megacastings for the Model S today, my previous speculation about the shutdown, increased performance and chassis revisions is proving true. Plaid refresh battery size / type?

Folks this makes any reservations that anyone has over the increased value of the refreshed model look unwarranted. The torsional rigidity of the chassis with this new design will make these the best handling Teslas ever. Maybe the best handling sedans ever! The future of automotive platform design is here and living under the skin of the new Model S!

As confirmed by the Elon Musk / Sandy Munroe interview yesterday and leaked photos of front and rear megacastings for the Model S today, my previous speculation about the shutdown, increased performance and chassis revisions is proving true. Plaid refresh battery size / type?

Folks this makes any reservations that anyone has over the increased value of the refreshed model look unwarranted. The torsional rigidity of the chassis with this new design will make these the best handling Teslas ever. Maybe the best handling sedans ever! The future of automotive platform design is here and living under the skin of the new Model S!
Elon just said that, except for initial production, you're more likely to get a good build if you wait until production has ramped. But yesterday evening I again listened to Roger Sterling's pitch to Don Draper to buy a new Cadillac now. It seems applicable (with brand substitution).

Reactions: FlatSix911
S and X have had large structural aluminum castings incorporated into their advanced design since the beginning. While not as large as the mega castings now being used in y and 3, they significantly reduced parts count, enhanced body stiffness and reduce rattles.

Hard to find a time when Tesla is not ramping up production. Seems to be a constant for them to continue to produce their cars faster while decreasing costs.

Imagine their goal is to have production mainly using a front casting, a rear casting, both bolted together to a structual center battery module. Later might have one piece body (like BMW i3) bolted on as well. Quality, cost, time and size of assembly plant would all improve.

Elon said by using 2 mega castings and center battery structure hundreds of robots could be eliminated and body assembly length reduced by over 30 %.

Reactions: mark95476
Elon just said that, except for initial production, you're more likely to get a good build if you wait until production has ramped. But yesterday evening I again listened to Roger Sterling's pitch to Don Draper to buy a new Cadillac now. It seems applicable (with brand substitution).

Munroe/Musk interview - Watch the interview again. Yes, he did say that about production quality, but he also told Sandy that the S would have a structural battery pack fixed between front and rear megacastings.

Q4 Report - Model S and X changes are described in the past tense. "... both the battery pack and modules have now been fully redesigned." We have evidence that confirms other changes described. For example, Model S Performance has been replaced by Plaid and has a tri-motor powertrain.

The nature of production shutdowns - Given the duration of the production shutdown with a cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars per day, I find it hard to believe that they plan another major shutdown six or seven months from now to incorporate a whole new underpinning after building cars on the just released chassis for only a few months. I think Mr Musk is smarter than that.

Opinion - Of course until final evidence is show, my thoughts are speculative. It won't be much longer until we know the answer.

More than a quarter. Elon said 12 to 24 months for a new plant. He was talking about Berlin at the time, which involves a lot of new technology. The S is revised but not completely new. Time will tell whether the ramp goes smoothly or encounters bumps.

Yeah, but Fremont is not a new plant. And we have to assume that Tesla already mostly knows how to manufacture the S (since it has for years)... it’s really a matter of successfully integrating the changes, with good QC, at scale.

How long for that? Doubt it’s 12-24 months, but if it is, Tesla’s manufacturing arm has some pretty big issues. :oops:

Regarding the yoke, I love it. Also like having no stalks. I have a jet pilot steering device (it's not a wheel) on my Model 3. It took me 2-3 days to get used to it, but once i did there was no going back to conventional steering wheels. It's the future, especially with FSD.

View attachment 634446
Why is it the future? “Especially with FSD” again why?
It provides no benefit over an actual wheel, nor does it actually have any benefit for FSD.