Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 90D, drone around 65 mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got lucky and picked up one of the last heavily discounted inventory S 90Ds this weekend. Now that I've started my morning commute I noticed a droning noise at 65 mph. It's a a base'y droning noise, like when you change an exhaust on a pickup truck and it drones at a specific speed/RPM. My Model X doesn't do this but it has 22" wheels and the S 19". If I speed up/slow down it goes away. I don't think it's related but my steering wheel is off center. The car doesn't track right/left, it goes perfectly straight but the steering wheel seem to have been put on at an angle.

Anyone else has experienced this drone before?

Once, with my 2013 S. Same speed. Took it to SC and they re-aligned it.
Greatly helped but did not eliminate it completely.

Some Pink Floyd rendered it de minimis.
If that fails, try Tame Impala or Alt-J.

Eventually, it went away. A year later my drive unit was replaced.
New tires. Car is whisper quiet now.

Last edited:
You can differentiate engine drone vs. tire drone with the following:

Get to 65 and press the accelerator enough so that the energy usage indicator jumps up. If the noise goes with it, it's likely engine drone. If you are on a slightly downhill slope and energy is 0 or even less than zero and the sound doesn't change, then it's likely tire drone.

I have a P85 that on the ContiSportContact 5p tires had substantial tire drone, and the above helped ID it.

EDIT - engine drone is pretty uncommon, especially on the D models. Pxx and PxxD models do have an engine "whine" you hear when you mash the accelerator, due to the larger P motor in back. In more recent years this has lessened due to better insulation around that area in rear.

Interesting. I have what I would describe as a whine (almost sounds like the drive unit band saw noise I've heard people talk about) that comes from my March 2017 deliver 90D model. Sound appears to come from front drive unit and consistently is heard between 43 and 50 mph. Above 50 it goes away entirely, below 43 it gets softer and softer until I just hear what I consider the "normal" Tesla whine.

Trying to decide whether i need to take it into the service center or just wait until the 1 year service to bring it up...

Interesting. I have what I would describe as a whine (almost sounds like the drive unit band saw noise I've heard people talk about) that comes from my March 2017 deliver 90D model. Sound appears to come from front drive unit and consistently is heard between 43 and 50 mph. Above 50 it goes away entirely, below 43 it gets softer and softer until I just hear what I consider the "normal" Tesla whine.

Trying to decide whether i need to take it into the service center or just wait until the 1 year service to bring it up...

I have the exact same issue with my 2014 P85+. Drone starts about 45 mph and continues to about 55 to 60. The drone does not get louder really, but it sounds like the pitch is growing with the RPM of the tires. I am assuming it is something in the front drivers side wheel, since that seems to be where the drone is coming from. Would be interested in hearing any solution you find. Plan on having this looked at the next time I am in the Service shop.