Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Batch of Refferal Rewards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And to kick it off, what are some ways you guys get refferals? (New MS owner here)
I put the code on my business card and on my social media. Also a bit lucky since I'm known to local media for other reasons and since they know I have a Tesla and they know how to reach me I've done a number of Tesla stories in local media.

And because Utah is one of the few remaining problem states for Tesla where employees are some restricted in what they can say to public I sometimes hang out of the local Tesla store and chat people up.

I stopped referring people quite a while ago. I just can't ethically recommend anyone buy from such a dishonest company. My self respect is worth far more than any reward Tesla is offering.
Instead, I openly tell everyone who asks what the company is really like to deal with.
I'll still refer people, just always tell them the truth how the cars are awesome but come with early adopter baggage. I almost though Tesla's product have matured beyond that until I got a new 2017 Model S, then realized the early adopter issues are still there. That said, if you're willing to put up with few inconveniences, Tesla service has always been awesome and took care of everything, and the car is just so much fun to drive that one keeps finding reasons to drive it. Oh, I also tell them about Musk reality when it comes to what will actually be available and when - translation: do not buy anything that is not yet ready and you can see it in the test drive car, unless they want the agony or waiting/hoping/praying/cursing for the next update. Promised features come late, stripped down, or never. I still think it's an amazing product (bought 3 of them so far), one just has to go into it with open eyes and realistically set expectations, rather than Tesla marketing or Elon hype.

Last edited:
Good theory, but that went out the window when they started actively removing features after sale.
I'm willing to put up with a lot, broken promises on tech features is nothing new, but the arrogance of thinking that they have the right to remove a feature after the sale. That's too far, I can warn people they may not get everything they're promised, but how do we know what they'll lose later?

The problem is, friends you refer, come bitch at you later for referring a bad car. I'd rather keep my friends than go after the referral awards. This week alone, I discouraged a business associate from buying a tesla. I told him exactly what is good about the car, and what is not good about it. He thought the conversation was an eye opener. He did not realize how terrible the repair situation was for instance. And he will be getting a Volvo (typical Scandinavian).

And I am not going to refer this car to anyone until tesla fixes some basic issues. Shoddy quality, repair costs and times, and general service center issues being at the top of the list.

I picked up a bunch of business cards from my OA and put my referral code on it. I have had a great experience at that location, so I like to guide people in that direction. The extra $1k is sometimes just the little extra push that someone sitting on the fence needs. The OA's are discouraged from mentioning the promotion, so by tying my code into the OA's business card its a done deal. It worked great the first go round, then about 33% of the orders either cancelled or didn't take delivery, so I missed out on the top tier.

I also use the email generator from the app, but the last round I got bupkis so it might be time for a new strategy.

BTW I got the email from Tesla asking me to pick my size for the jacket over a month ago, but since then radio silence. Has anyone in the US taken delivery of their prizes yet?

Referral | Tesla

Brian - I have gotten some referral awards, but the last program and the program before that, hasn't sent anything so far. They take apprx 1 year to send anything and really so far only 2 referral programs have been "paid out". And yes they don't respond to emails either.

I'll politely :) disagree with that last line.

I emailed and got an answer a few days later.

• Informative
Reactions: Lbkmxp100d
I've joined a local Electric Vehicle club and we try to educate people about EV ownership. If people ask, I tell them the truth - this car isn't for everyone, the good things about Tesla, the bad things about Tesla. If they still want more info, I give them a business card with my referral code. If I'm in the area and bored (like taking my teenage daughters clothes shopping), I will also hang out near the Tesla gallery and chat with the sales folks and potential customers. I also pass out Tesla Hot Wheels with my referral code on it as well. The kids (ahem) love 'em. :rolleyes:
Hot Wheels (600x800).jpg