Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Bulletin available to SC to align headlights with bumper - Mine fixed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked about it this morning when I went to the SC for the A-pillar replacement. They stated that the headlight is within spec and is designed to protrude from the bumper. They also stated that if customers are adamant about having the headlight align that they will pull the bumper, but it is not designed to be flush. Who knows. I didn't notice it before this thread so it doesn't bother me much. Thought I would let you know what they told me....

Reactions: jgd108
I wanted to give an update about front headlight adjustment. Today SC had to replace my headlight assy because that Led light line below eye-brow failed.

Now, the headlight is even setback little more, and even more flush. So I can say with certainty that headlight can be properly aligned with bumper with adjustments between the bumper and headlight position. It is just that more work for SC, may be that's reason there is some pushback.

This also depends on who the tech writer is (the guy who comes with us to car to take notes, add tape etc). Luckly I got a very knowledgeable tech, and got fixed all the problems I listed as well as somethings they discovered including even cosmetic stuff.

I am extremely happy with this visit on how Bellevue SC handled repairs!.

Reactions: C141medic
I remember in the 1970s when this whole panel gap got to be a "thing"

Overseas manufacturers wanted a bigger piece of the American pie, and looked for ways to differentiate their cars as having perceived better quality. In Japan, customers were very picky and would reject a new car if the body panels were mis-aligned. The Japanese customer had much higher standards thant the American supplier were used to. Japanese buyers were used to buying ultra high quality products and using them for many generations. Americans were a disposable society that used a car for a while, then traded it in for the next model year, just rolling over payments.
Germans worked hard on the sounds a door closing made, or the solid feeling of switch gear. While the American stuff worked just as well, they did not have that solid thunk or click you got in a Mercedes.

This has morphed into customers wanting precise panel gaps, as it gives the illusion that the car is better made and will perform better. It is very expensive to get the panel gaps precise, and lots of very expensive body molds are often thrown away to get the fits just right.

I remember in the 1970s when this whole panel gap got to be a "thing"

Overseas manufacturers wanted a bigger piece of the American pie, and looked for ways to differentiate their cars as having perceived better quality. In Japan, customers were very picky and would reject a new car if the body panels were mis-aligned. The Japanese customer had much higher standards thant the American supplier were used to. Japanese buyers were used to buying ultra high quality products and using them for many generations. Americans were a disposable society that used a car for a while, then traded it in for the next model year, just rolling over payments.
Germans worked hard on the sounds a door closing made, or the solid feeling of switch gear. While the American stuff worked just as well, they did not have that solid thunk or click you got in a Mercedes.

This has morphed into customers wanting precise panel gaps, as it gives the illusion that the car is better made and will perform better. It is very expensive to get the panel gaps precise, and lots of very expensive body molds are often thrown away to get the fits just right.

Sorry, not sure what you meant to say.
Panel gaps definitely has two draw backs. One is how it looks like. You do not want your $60k car look like a Tonka toy.
2nd even more important is, the Aero. Esp in the front end and then body side has considerable impact on aero drag. As the gap increases, and alignment is incorrect, it disturbs the laminar flow and causes more drag.

Do the newer Model 3s still have this issue out of the factory?

I have a 689XX VIN produced in August. Mine still protrude in some places and are flush in others. Not terrible, but my 12 year old Acura has better fit and finish in general. Service advisor just emailed asking when I can visit to have a few parts replaced that arrived so I will mention it to him when I make it to the appointment and see what he thinks.

Thank you for the info!
Mine is VIN 539xx July built. Will take it to the service center along with other issues.... 1. misalignment of rear right bumper. 2. misalignment of driver side front bumper. 3. both headlights protrude out from the bumper.

Attachments

• Passenger Side Rear Bumper_1.JPG
    Passenger Side Rear Bumper_1.JPG
    381.6 KB · Views: 216
  • Passenger Side Rear Bumper_2.JPG
    Passenger Side Rear Bumper_2.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 195
  • Driver Side Front Bumper.JPG
    Driver Side Front Bumper.JPG
    333.8 KB · Views: 221
  • Driver Side Headlight.JPG
    Driver Side Headlight.JPG