Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New California $5,000 EV Rebate Covers USED EV as Well!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course they do. You pay sales tax for private party vehicle sales when you register it at the DMV.

That's unfortunate. That means when a $100,000 vehicle is sold, presuming a 10% sales tax (e.g. Hayward) then that's $10,000 in sales tax is collected.

That person sells it a few years later, $60,000 and $6000 is collected. Then the $35,000 vehicle is sold and $3,500 collected.

The State / County then collects approx. $20,000 on a $100,000 vehicle? Wow. Not even resellers have to deal with that as the sales tax is generally collected one time, and one time only.

I would presume this is just yet another money grab by Sacramento, and no other private-party purchase is taxed to that extent :(

That's unfortunate. That means when a $100,000 vehicle is sold, presuming a 10% sales tax (e.g. Hayward) then that's $10,000 in sales tax is collected.

That person sells it a few years later, $60,000 and $6000 is collected. Then the $35,000 vehicle is sold and $3,500 collected.

The State / County then collects approx. $20,000 on a $100,000 vehicle? Wow. Not even resellers have to deal with that as the sales tax is generally collected one time, and one time only.

I would presume this is just yet another money grab by Sacramento, and no other private-party purchase is taxed to that extent :(

It's ALL of California, why you think we so rich.

It seems this program is active again! Has anyone tried using it recently?

It’s listed as an incentive for California residents on Tesla’s website, but the program’s website says you can only use it at participating dealerships even though they say Tesla also participates in the program. Seeing as Tesla only sells directly to consumers and doesn’t have any dealerships, how would this work?

It seems this program is active again! Has anyone tried using it recently?

It’s listed as an incentive for California residents on Tesla’s website, but the program’s website says you can only use it at participating dealerships even though they say Tesla also participates in the program. Seeing as Tesla only sells directly to consumers and doesn’t have any dealerships, how would this work?

Read up on pre req's etc here:

CVRP Eligible Vehicles.

Only certain vehicles apply, etc. It is not the same as it was in this zombie thread you resurrected.

Just a bit of the requirements:

Vehicle Eligibility
Eligible vehicles must meet requirements that include, but are not limited to, the following:

• Be on the list of Eligible Vehicles.
  • Be new as defined in the California Vehicle Code (CVC) Section 430 and manufactured by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) or its authorized licensee. Vehicles considered new vehicles solely for determination of compliance with state emissions standards are not eligible.
  • Be registered as new in California. Vehicles may not be purchased, leased, or delivered out of state. Purchases/leases must be made via a California purchase or lease contract. Vehicles ordered online and delivered outside of California are not eligible. The seller's address as reflected on the purchase or lease agreement must be in California.
  • Have an odometer reading below 7,500 miles at the time of purchase or lease.

Read up on pre req's etc here:

CVRP Eligible Vehicles.

Only certain vehicles apply, etc. It is not the same as it was in this zombie thread you resurrected.

Just a bit of the requirements:

Vehicle Eligibility
Eligible vehicles must meet requirements that include, but are not limited to, the following:

• Be on the list of Eligible Vehicles.
  • Be new as defined in the California Vehicle Code (CVC) Section 430 and manufactured by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) or its authorized licensee. Vehicles considered new vehicles solely for determination of compliance with state emissions standards are not eligible.
  • Be registered as new in California. Vehicles may not be purchased, leased, or delivered out of state. Purchases/leases must be made via a California purchase or lease contract. Vehicles ordered online and delivered outside of California are not eligible. The seller's address as reflected on the purchase or lease agreement must be in California.
  • Have an odometer reading below 7,500 miles at the time of purchase or lease.

I think you misunderstood. This thread isn’t about the CVRP. It’s about the CVAP, which is a grant towards your purchase and not a rebate after the fact.

- Clean Vehicle Assistance Program

CVAP is not CVRP.

I am sure JK929 is taking about CVAP.

Maybe so.. the income qualifications for that program seem pretty onerous.... I am not in that boat, but I am not sure how anyone who makes (for example) gross annual income of 51,040 (thats gross), could afford a new car, that after taxes, would be somewhere around 38-39k (SR) or 43-44k (SR+). That would definitely be their years salary, after taxes.

Maybe so.. the income qualifications for that program seem pretty onerous.... I am not in that boat, but I am not sure how anyone who makes (for example) gross annual income of 51,040 (thats gross), could afford a new car, that after taxes, would be somewhere around 38-39k (SR) or 43-44k (SR+). That would definitely be their years salary, after taxes.

Yup, this is true, but I also believe that there are some cases where someone could be eligible for the grant and could also afford a new car. (Ignoring the subjective definition of “affordability” or how one manages their own finances)...