Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New car issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't found a thread that specifically deals with this topic so I'll start my own.

So far I have:
  • rattles under the car (day 1).
  • front right TPMS suddenly showed up as 0 psi, scaring the beejeezus out of me, then went back to 45psi (day 2). I did a TPMS reset but haven't driven it much since.
I'm not sure what the right way of addressing these issues is, but wasting my time driving to a service center shouldn't be it.
I used the "request help" via the owner's portal, and received no reply.
Suggestions?

These are the things that will bring down a JD Power initial quality score, and you'd think they would care about that.

Haven't found a thread that specifically deals with this topic so I'll start my own.

So far I have:
  • front right TPMS suddenly showed up as 0 psi, scaring the beejeezus out of me, then went back to 45psi (day 2). I did a TPMS reset but haven't driven it much since.
I'm not sure what the right way of addressing these issues is, but wasting my time driving to a service center shouldn't be it.
Suggestions?

These are the things that will bring down a JD Power initial quality score, and you'd think they would care about that.

When you buy a new car, and have issues, take it to the service centre for them to address it, just like any other car out there.

How can you (as a new owner), possibly find this forum, sign up, post this issue as a brand new user, BUT not know how to address these issues on your own ?

This just seems like the trend. New user, posts issues, no clue how to contact the service centre, so posts here ....

So far I have:
Suggestions?

Schedule a service appointment via the app. They will call you to confirm and likely schedule mobile service to come to you.

When you buy a new car, and have issues, take it to the service centre for them to address it, just like any other car out there.

How can you (as a new owner), possibly find this forum, sign up, post this issue as a brand new user, BUT not know how to address these issues on your own ?

This just seems like the trend. New user, posts issues, no clue how to contact the service centre, so posts here ....

Because likely half of them have an agenda and do not own a Tesla... Not claiming the OP does, but just saying.

My first available service appointment via the app is 10 days out. My time to return the car, if it's defective, is Saturday.
My options are:
  • call Tesla (I will probably try that next) and see if they can dispatch mobile service.
  • drive to the service center and hope they can fit me in
  • drive to the factory service center and hope they can fit me in
  • backchannel to people I know who work for Tesla and see what they can do
Anything I've missed?
I've bought many new cars. I've never had two quality issues within the first two days, even with my Fiat, so no, it's not just like any other car out there.

I've also been on car forums for over 25 years but have never had anyone speculate that I have an agenda and don't own one. :(

I guess what I was hoping to hear is "oh, there's a hotline for quality issues, email xxx or call yyy".

I'm also interested to see if these issues are due to the production rush (my car went from order to ready in 2 days), normal, or just an outlier.

Attachments

• IMG_1123.JPG
    IMG_1123.JPG
    308.5 KB · Views: 90
My first available service appointment via the app is 10 days out. My time to return the car, if it's defective, is Saturday.
My options are:
  • call Tesla (I will probably try that next) and see if they can dispatch mobile service.
Anything I've missed?
I've bought many new cars. I've never had two quality issues within the first two days, even with my Fiat, so no, it's not just like any other car out there.

I've also been on car forums for over 25 years but have never had anyone speculate that I have an agenda and don't own one. :(

I guess what I was hoping to hear is "oh, there's a hotline for quality issues, email xxx or call yyy".

I'm also interested to see if these issues are due to the production rush (my car went from order to ready in 2 days), normal, or just an outlier.

Since you are within the return window, I would just show up and explain that you are going to return the car if they are unable to take a look while you're there, or within a day or two.

For what its worth, neither of those issues seem major. A bum TPMS sensor is nothing to be concerned about long term (once replaced, that is), and a rattle is most likely a loose piece of trim or something else thats minor.

It's unfortunate that this happened to you, but brand new cars having minor defects is not something unique to Tesla. Any other manufacturer would expect the same from the customer had this happen, which is bringing it in to the store/dealership.

Just got off phone with sales staff. SR+ should get nav and streaming radio upgrades, maybe more so converting to Standard is not necessarly just dropping range and heated seats vs SR+. Delivery teams suppose to contact those who already received SR+ to discuss options. Will see if this is accurate.

J.D. Power has never performed any quality ratings for Tesla to my knowledge, so I don't know that I'd consider this a factor.

That's interesting - I was hoping to get one of their surveys, I have for just about every other new car I've bought....Can't quite remember when it's supposed to show up.

Because likely half of them have an agenda and do not own a Tesla... Not claiming the OP does, but just saying.

These sort of replies are so counterproductive and childish. Its ridiculous how any negative feedback directed at Tesla is immediately met with stuff like this. Theres no question that FUD is still an issue in the media, but on a fan forum? Come on.

My options are:
Anything I've missed?

Wouldn’t call a TPMS issue a major issue to return the vehicle. And depending on the “rattle”, that can probably be easily fixed as well.

The unfortunate reality is that "it happens" and it sucks when it happens to you.

it happened to me, too, actually. I picked my car up on Sunday, and when I got home the charge port lock wouldn't engage. So I have an appointment next week on Monday to get it addressed.

My options are:
Anything I've missed?

Did you try the chat? I've found that they can be helpful and may be able to schedule your mobile service for you without having to go through the service center (at least they did for me on one occasion).

Reactions: SO16
These sort of replies are so counterproductive and childish. Its ridiculous how any negative feedback directed at Tesla is immediately met with stuff like this. Theres no question that FUD is still an issue in the media, but on a fan forum? Come on.

It is an unfortunate reality... I guess I am more used to the Official Tesla Forums though where it is/was far worse. It was like a ;light switch flipped when they made it so only authenticated owners can start threads. The amount of FUD went down HUGE overnight with that one change. It kinda proved the point.

AGAIN, I also clearly stated I was not saying the OP was doing that. I was replying to someone else and quoted their post.

My options are:
Anything I've missed?

While I do understand your issues, personally I don't see either of them as a reason to return the car. On any other car if you had these same issues would you have run back to the dealer and say that you want to return it. There is the letter of the return policy, and the spirit of the return policy and again, personally, your issues don't fit into the spirit category.

Now that I got that out. To your issues...

TPMS showing 0 psi, yeah that would alarm me as well...could be a faulty sensor...the TPMS sensors don't show a reading right away and I think per the manual it says it could be a certain distance/speed until it shows a reading, so you may have just gotten an erroneous reading.

Your TMPS error that you showed a picture of is different than the 0 psi reading... The TPMS fault indicator limits have been an issue for many people with some people saying that it triggers at 1psi lower than what they inflate their tires to. In the manual there is a procedure to set the normal pressure point to your current pressure. This will set the fault indicator limits based on that new set point.

Rattle...yeah, there can be rattles in a lot of cars...can be annoying for sure but should be able to be resolved if it is actually something loose. If you don't return the car, or even before you take it in to give an ultimatum, I would highly suggest that you try and track the rattle down yourself to avoid them saying "rattles/creaks aren't a warranty item". It would be sad for both you and Tesla if you returned the car because of a rattle that actually was a loose part.

I had a squeak early on in my ownership last fall, never got around to going to the service center for it...it went away al by itself now. Might be cooler weather related, or just initial break in period issue.

Take it to the service center to have it looked at. You always have the Lemon Law if these things keep happening. Teslas are usually perfect right out of the factory.....

This is probably another Failure on the delivery centers part to not do a proper PPI. I am almost certain the TPMS was not reset after transport

I really wish people would stop yelling "LEMON LAW LEMON LAW" for stuff like this. Please show me any reasonable interpretation or realistic scenario where a possibly faulty TPMS sensor or a rattle(not because of a critical part falling off) would apply within a Lemon Law.

Yes you can come up with a wild unlikely chain of events, I'm not looking for wild conspiracy theories.

I really wish people would stop yelling "LEMON LAW LEMON LAW" for stuff like this. Please show me any reasonable interpretation or realistic scenario where a possibly faulty TPMS sensor or a rattle(not because of a critical part falling off) would apply within a Lemon Law.

Yes you can come up with a wild unlikely chain of events, I'm not looking for wild conspiracy theories.

What State are you in?

Here is California Lemon Law

https://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/englemn.pdf

Who said anything about rattles? TPMS is considered a Safety issue.... no?

Reactions: russelljohnson