Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New colors in the US?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any word or clues on when we might see those new pretty paint colors in the US that they showed in Berlin? Seemed Elon confirmed they’re coming last year but then not much discussion.

The silver looks prrrrrty. And abyss blue sounds prrrrty (haven’t seen it).

I believe this requires complete retooling to be able to produce not only the colors but also the quality of the work being done.

Elon Musk retweeted one of Tesla's posts and commented that only Giga Berlin can make the new colors, "as paint shop was specially built to apply many fine layers of paint, giving it complexity not otherwise possible."

Naturally, people asked him in the comments whether Tesla's US plants will also be able to offer multi-layered colors as well, but Musk only replied "Yes" to a question on whether US customers can expect another color option. Unfortunately, he didn't provide details or a launch timeline for the new paint option.

I believe this requires complete retooling to be able to produce not only the colors but also the quality of the work being done.

I may have misread the article, but thought I saw/read somewhere that the current paint booth/line in the new Giga Texas factory was built to handle the new paint colors. If so, adding new paint colors (like Quicksilver) would not require a significant change to the current line and certainly not a complete retool in Giga Texas. A complete (& very expensive) retool would definitely be required at the Fremont factory, should Tesla ever decide to retrofit Fremont with the new paint line/colors. However, given California’s strict environmental rules on paint chemicals, I doubt the Fremont factory will ever have the capability to offer all the same formulations/colors as other Tesla factories.

Personally, I‘m holding out on buying a new MYP (for the wife) until the new Quicksilver color is available in the U.S.
Holding my breath, starting now…. 😣 😜

The lighting is not the best in this video, but man I’m really loving this color!!

Last edited:
I may have misread the article, but thought I saw/read somewhere that the current paint booth/line in the new Giga Texas factory was built to handle the new paint colors. If so, adding new paint colors (like Quicksilver) would not require a significant change to the current line and certainly not a complete retool in Giga Texas. A complete (& very expensive) retool would definitely be required at the Fremont factory, should Tesla ever decide to retrofit Fremont with the new paint line/colors. However, given California’s strict environmental rules on paint chemicals, I doubt the Fremont factory will ever have the capability to offer all the same formulations/colors as other Tesla factories.

Personally, I‘m holding out on buying a new MYP (for the wife) until the new Quicksilver color is available in the U.S.

The lighting is not the best in this video, but man I’m really loving this color!!
Totally agree. It’s beautiful.

This would’ve been my color of choice. I just came from a line of seven silver cars. I had to settle with the tri coat red.

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
This would’ve been my color of choice. I just came from a line of seven silver cars. I had to settle with the tri coat red.
Well, my plan was to hold off on buying a new MYP until Tesla offers the Quicksilver color in the U.S.

However, when the IRS officially changed their definition of what is classified as an SUV a few days ago (which means all variants of the MY, including the MYP, are now edible for the $7500 EV tax credit), I decided to pull the trigger and officially put in my custom order for a MYP in multi-coat RED. Tesla’s recent $13K price drop on the MYP + confirmed full eligibility of the $7500 EV credit was simply too hard to pass up.

This MYP is for the wife.
I’m still rocking my 2019 M3P and won’t upgrade until they offer a M3 Plaid or a refreshed (Highland) M3P with a significant boost in power & acceleration. I know… I may be waiting a long time for that M3 Plaid! ;)

Reactions: andaconda
Love the 2 new colors from Berlin, particularly the Cherry Red.

Does anyone have the scoop or intel on when and if these will be offered in the US? About to order a Model Y now that the tax credit situation has stabilized, but would greatly prefer the Cherry Red color is it is not going to be years until it rolls out here. Thanks!

They've added Ultra Red (or actually, replaced the previous red) for the S/X. Still Tri-Coat for 3/Y. And I agree that Austin was built with a better paint shop like Berlin. They may also have different options in Texas due to CA having more stringent requirements on painting process.