Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New distance record

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dpeilow

May 23, 2008
Winchester, UK
Japan EV Club drives 623 miles on a single charge

The plug-in aficionados of the Japan Electric Vehicle Club hit the track this weekend in a Daihatsu Mira Van with a 74 kilowatt-hour lithium ion battery to see how far they could go on a charge. The last time the crew attempted this, in November 2009, they managed to squeeze out 345 miles before running out juice.

This time out the members reduced some mass with new features likes a carbon fiber seat and even lower rolling resistance tires from Toyo. The van used the same Sanyo battery as the previous record drive and continued rolling for 623 miles before running out of electrons.

Seventeen drivers participated in the 27.5 hour drive with an average speed of just under 25 miles per hour. While getting over 600 miles on a charge is certainly impressive, we aren't likely to see many 74 kWh batteries in production vehicles anytime soon because of the cost. Plus, the driving style on the closed course was likely extremely conservative, which doesn't match real-world conditions.

hmm...

I think that was a car they showed in Detroit last year:
4329470342_5b522d0048_b.jpg

http://www.teslamotors.com/about/press/releases/tesla-celebrates-1000th-roadster

Last edited:
From the Article:
"The two-person driving team maintained a nearly constant speed of 25 mph."

Uhh... that's just below the 30 mph minimum for cruise control :eek:

This impresses me even more then. I originally thought "That's cool, just take it up to 25, click the cruise and go until it runs out of electrons." I wasn't aware the Roadster's cruise didn't work below 30 MPH.

As the article mentioned I'd be wanting to dip my foot to access the (fun and flat) torque curve.