Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New EV tire options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Walmart as well. I could have purchased and had them installed in the US, but that would have been during our yearly drive to SE Arizona, and I wanted them installed at least a week before we headed south in case there was any issues with the tires. Having them installed enroute would have increased the cost due to an additional overnight stay and thus I had them installed in Canada, locally.

I finally pulled the plug and went with these MICHELIN Primacy™ Tour A/S tires on my 2022 M3LR (Michelin part# 06522)
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+Tour+A/S&partnum=345VR8PTASV2

First trip of about 20miles on the same roads I drive everyday at 70mph resulted in 71db
For comparison, the Michelin MXM4 that comes OE produced 76db on those roads, and the Hankook Kingrgy GT produced 74db.

Some things are just designed better from the start, especially when they are designed for the Lexus & Mercedes luxury cars.

View attachment 1030374

View attachment 1030376
Regarding using the Michelin Primacy Tour A/S 235/45R18 94V LEX BSW on your 2022 M3LR, both the load index and speed rating are lower than the original tire, which is 98W:

Load Index 94 (670 kg / 1480 lb)
Load Index 98 (750 kg/ 1650 lb)

That's per tire, so for all 4 you are 80 kg * 4 = 320 kg (705 lb) less than Tesla specified.

Speed rating V (149 mph / 240 km/h)
Speed rating W (168 mph / 270 km/h)

Unless it's temporary, you want to make sure the load and speed ratings are equal to or exceed the original. To not do so is to increase the risk of a catastrophic tire failure (a blowout), most likely at highway speed when hitting a pothole or similar road defect that puts maximum load on the tire. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this could save your life and the lives of others.

Regarding using the Michelin Primacy Tour A/S 235/45R18 94V LEX BSW on your 2022 M3LR, both the load index and speed rating are lower than the original tire, which is 98W:
Incorrect. The M3 comes from factory on the Hankook Kinergy GT tires which are the exact same specifications. Tesla forgot to update their published specifications.
IMG_0268.jpeg

IMG_0269.jpeg

IMG_0270.jpeg

Incorrect. The M3 comes from factory on the Hankook Kinergy GT tires which are the exact same specifications. Tesla forgot to update their published specifications.
I took delivery of a 2022 Model 3 LR AWD on 2021-12-20, and it came with these: Michelin Primacy MXM4 AC P235/45R18 98W EXTRA LOAD

What are the speed and load ratings of your factory tires?

See my post above
Would be interesting to see what difference, if any, that tire downgrade has made.

When did you take delivery? Tesla is known for making changes during the year, so your 2022 Model 3 LR might actually have some significant differences from mine. Did you get the Li-ion low-voltage battery? I got the Hankook 85B24LS 45Ah lead acid 12V battery.

Last edited:
Would be interesting to see what difference, if any, that tire downgrade has made.

When did you take delivery? Tesla is known for making changes during the year, so your 2022 Model 3 LR might actually have some significant differences from mine. Did you get the Li-ion low-voltage battery? I got the Hankook 85B24LS 45Ah lead acid 12V battery.
I took delivery of M3LR in July 2022. It came with Hankook Kinergy GT 94V tires, and yes it has Li-Ion battery

I took delivery of M3LR in July 2022. It came with Hankook Kinergy GT 94V tires, and yes it has Li-Ion battery
Thanks, that's 7 months after I took delivery, which is a long time in Tesla's world. The Li-ion low-voltage battery resulted in a weight savings of 26.9 lbs on the battery itself and a few more pounds on a lighter bracket. That's significant, and maybe it was just enough to allow a lower load rating on the tires. Would have to ask Tesla Engineering, because they're the ones who did the calculations. :cool:

Last edited:

Load Index 94 (670 kg / 1480 lb)
Load Index 98 (750 kg/ 1650 lb)

That's per tire, so for all 4 you are 80 kg * 4 = 320 kg (705 lb) less than Tesla specified.

Speed rating V (149 mph / 240 km/h)
Speed rating W (168 mph / 270 km/h)

Unless it's temporary, you want to make sure the load and speed ratings are equal to or exceed the original. To not do so is to increase the risk of a catastrophic tire failure (a blowout), most likely at highway speed when hitting a pothole or similar road defect that puts maximum load on the tire. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this could save your life and the lives of others.
My understanding - based on what I have read online and talking with (most) tire shops - is that you can safely go down one notch in the speed rating (unless you are doing high speed-track driving), but you don't want to mess with the weight rating. I.e., for the Model 3 LR you can put on a tire with a V speed rating but you should absolutely stick with a 98 XL weight rating. Some will even go down two notches on speed, but I would not. Some tire shops will not install anything but the OEM speed rating, but it is not hard to find one that will.

Reactions: electrons4u
... you can safely go down one notch in the speed rating (unless you are doing high speed-track driving), but you don't want to mess with the weight rating.
Exactly. If you knew for sure you were going to go slow, like turning your car into a neighborhood ice cream truck, you could get away with a lower speed rating. I've read that in some parts of the EU, it's actually illegal to mount lower-speed tires.

the 94V tires hold 1477 lbs. So total = 1477x4 = 5908lbs
Weight of Tesla Model3 Dual Motor = 4034lbs

So it is accounting for 1874lbs of passengers and luggage. Works for me.
The car is not rated for 1874 lb of passengers and luggage (payload). It's about 40% of that because there is a factor of safety built in. On my car it's 826 lb. Check the label(s) on your door pillar.

That 4034 lbs is the curb weight, to which you add the payload to get the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating).

On my car the curb weight is not specified on either door pillar label, but one label shows the GVWR (4883 lb):
2022,0211_2022_Tesla_Model_3_DoorPillarInfoLabel_Sani.jpg

and the other label shows the payload ("The Combined Weight of Occupants and Cargo Should Never Exceed 375 kg or 826 lb"):
2022,0211_2022_Tesla_Model_3_DoorPillarTireAndLoadingInfoLabel.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: enemji
Exactly. If you knew for sure you were going to go slow, like turning your car into a neighborhood ice cream truck, you could get away with a lower speed rating. I've read that in some parts of the EU, it's actually illegal to mount lower-speed tires.

The car is not rated for 1874 lb of passengers and luggage (payload). It's about 40% of that because there is a factor of safety built in. On my car it's 826 lb. Check the label(s) on your door pillar.

That 4034 lbs is the curb weight, to which you add the payload to get the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating).

On my car the curb weight is not specified on either door pillar label, but one label shows the GVWR (4883 lb):
View attachment 1052552

and the other label shows the payload ("The Combined Weight of Occupants and Cargo Should Never Exceed 375 kg or 826 lb"):
View attachment 1052553
The EU has (mostly) no border controls and can be considered one nation from a driver's perspective. The EU includes the German Autobahn, sections of which have no speed limits so tire speed ratings are taken seriously. I have driven on the Autobahn for hours, at or near my rental car's maximum speed (117mph as it turned out in my 2000 Ford Focus).

AFAIK, in North America, the maximum speed limit anywhere is 80mph.

View attachment 1052552

View attachment 1052553
which is still well below the total = 1477x4 = 5908lbs offered by the 94V tires (Hankook Kinergy GT OE)

which is still well below the total = 1477x4 = 5908lbs offered by the 94V tires (Hankook Kinergy GT OE)
That's 100% true, and that's because of the factor of safety in the calculations. You want to keep your payload (passengers + cargo) at or below the rated number on the door pillar label. Just trying to help you and anyone who might read this avoid overloading their vehicle. As author Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. said, "We're all here to help each other through this thing, whatever it is." ☮️

Reactions: enemji