Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New EV tire options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's 100% true, and that's because of the factor of safety in the calculations. You want to keep your payload (passengers + cargo) at or below the rated number on the door pillar label. Just trying to help you and anyone who might read this avoid overloading their vehicle. As author Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. said, "We're all here to help each other through this thing, whatever it is." ☮️
Absolutely, and I do appreciate the discussion and guidance. I would not recommend the 94V tires but then Tesla themselves are shipping M3 AWD with the 94V tires.

When did you take delivery? Tesla is known for making changes during the year, so your 2022 Model 3 LR might actually have some significant differences from mine. Did you get the Li-ion low-voltage battery? I got the Hankook 85B24LS 45Ah lead acid 12V battery.
The switchover to the lithium low voltage battery and AMD Ryzen infotainment processor occurred in January or February 2022, although there was a period when some cars had the newer stuff while others had the older lead acid low voltage battery and Intel Atom infotainment processor.

The use of Hankook Kinergy GT tires with load rating of 94 started somewhat later.

Current Model 3 (Highland) cars seem to be coming with Hankook Ventus S1 AS with load rating of 98.

Exactly. If you knew for sure you were going to go slow, like turning your car into a neighborhood ice cream truck, you could get away with a lower speed rating. I've read that in some parts of the EU, it's actually illegal to mount lower-speed tires.

The car is not rated for 1874 lb of passengers and luggage (payload). It's about 40% of that because there is a factor of safety built in. On my car it's 826 lb. Check the label(s) on your door pillar.

That 4034 lbs is the curb weight, to which you add the payload to get the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating).

On my car the curb weight is not specified on either door pillar label, but one label shows the GVWR (4883 lb):
View attachment 1052552

and the other label shows the payload ("The Combined Weight of Occupants and Cargo Should Never Exceed 375 kg or 826 lb"):
View attachment 1052553

The real limiting factor is not the GVWR. It's the GAWR RR/Goss Axle Weight for the rear.

So 2,771 lbs is that limit, across two tires. The tires need to support 1,385.5 lbs, minimum.

Load Index 94 tires have ~7% more load capability than 1385 lbs.
Load Index 98 tires have ~19% more load capability.

I don't know and cannot easily find the safety factor used in tires and tire load ratings. But I am sure it's there.

No one asked me, but I would use the 94 index tires over UTQG Traction B tires every time. My entire family plus our gear won't bust 800 lbs payload for a road trip but we drive in the rain and wet roads all the time. That's where folks will crash or rear end cars, in the wet on the older technology tires like MXM4s.

Reactions: enemji