Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New extreme cold weather casualty: bass from speakers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So last night I left my car charging in a public lot while visiting some friends. It was cold out (-18C), and even earlier in the day when leaving work I got the 'battery warming' message, and had no regen since the car cold soaked all day.

Anywho...when I got into my car just before midnight a song came on the radio and it sounded horrible. No bass whatsoever coming from the speakers, and I thought to myself maybe the speakers were frozen over and not producing low frequencies.

Low and behold, I played the same song this morning after pre heating the car and having it parked in my garage all night (un heated garage mind you) and the bass was back. I wish I had thought to take an audio recording, because it would have been interesting to put it through a spectrum analyzer to confirm what my ears were telling me.

Anyone else notice something similar? With the cold snap we have been having there must be other observations of this.

I observed the exact same issue, after a day with the car sitting in -21C weather. Once it sat in my garage and warmed up over nite, bass was back. My horn changed sounds too... sounded more like a weak beep than the normally throaty horn (recovered once warm)

Just came here from 5 years in the future to say that I’m seeing the same thing in my 2023 Model 3 in -2F / -19C temps. Hopefully it fixes itself in warmer temps as others experienced above.

I don’t recall ever having this issue in my old 2018 Model 3.